2020 Wild Card Series – non-Cardinals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Wild Card Series – non-Cardinals

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Let’s use this thread to talk about the action in the other seven Wild Card Series. First AL games are Tuesday afternoon.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This could be the wildest and least predictable playoffs ever, mostly because of the best of 3 opening round. Anyone can win 2 out of 3.

The two best teams in the NL this season have been the Dodgers and Padres but they would have to face each other in the NLDS instead of the NLCS if they both advance. Hopefully the Cards have something to say about that.

There were a couple of prognosticators on MLB Network last night that both predicted the WS would be the Dodgers vs the Indians. The Dodgers seem like a logical pick but I don’t know about the Indians. Until proven otherwise I will predict a Dodgers vs Yankees WS but the whole thing is a crap shoot.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Marcell Ozuna hit .338 with 18 homeruns and 56 rbi’s.

In a full season that averages out to 45-50 homeruns and around 140 rbi’s.

What happened?????

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

This name has popped up in our Trade Ideas thread.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good news for Kirilloff and Twins fans. Still hoping he’s on the radar for trades in the Twins’ packed outfield.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bad news for the Cards is that 29 other teams will be looking to score one of them away.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well it is kind of bad news for Twins fans because the reason Kirilloff made the roster is because Donaldson didn’t.

Participant

Free

White Sox and Astros both win their opening games as the visiting team.

Arozarena leads off the 4th inning for the Rays with a hustle triple. Then scores on a wild pitch. Rays lead the Jays in the 5th, 1-0.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Astros finished below .500, but sneak away with a win. Why weren’t they the 8th seed? I guess it is because they finished second in their division, while Toronto was third.

As for Ozuna, he was a better player than he showed here, and getting into a better lineup brought that out. And some of it could just be randomness – poor luck for the Cardinals, good fortune for Miami and Atlanta. Maybe he just likes the southeast more than the midwest.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In what may be the wild card rounds best SP matchup, Bieber vs Cole, there have been 7 runs scored in 4 innings played.

Participant

Free

Twins lose their 17th straight playoff game.

That is an incredible statistic.

And they’ve had some good teams. In fact, they were the most impressive team I’ve seen this year (of course I only watch Cardinal games).

Point being, some teams can get it done in the playoffs, and some can’t. Our Cards have fallen into the former category more times than not in recent years. Let’s hope that continues tomorrow.

Go Cards.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The term Twinning has taken a new definition/meaning.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Since the Twins last won a playoff game, the Cards have won 58.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Twins lose their 17th straight playoff game.

With as rudely as they treated us this year, there are no tears being shed here. How does one lose that many HUGE consecutive games….let alone any kind of games? The only other sports franchise that I know of who would be capable of such dubious futility would of course be the cubbies. Let’s see here…..which pro sports teams have dished out the greatest amount of misery and torment to their fan base? The cubbies hands down head that list. These terrible tournament Twins certainly have to be recognized. And of course who could forget the Buffalo Bills and their string of Super Bowl setbacks? Others?

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

That streak reminds me of Vitas Gerulaitis losing 16 consecutive tennis matches to Jimmy Connors. Vitas was a very good player, world top 5 in the 70s. He also had a great line after he finally beat Connors. He started the presser after the match with a tough guy persona and said, “Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row.”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Today’s eight-game slate starts at 11 a.m.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sandy Alcantara starting for MIA vs CHC Hendricks

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Have said it a few times, but I hated giving up Alcantara. But we had to give up quality to get quality, even if what we got did not turn out to be quite as much quality as we had hoped.

As for losing streaks, at one time Tony LaRussa had 8 consecutive World Series manager losses, getting swept in 1990 and 2004. I wondered if that was a record but came up with Bill MeKechnie, who was swept in 1928 (as Cardinal manager) and 1939, then lost game one of the 1940 World Series to reach 9.

The Twins streak is something though. I hope they come back and win the next two. Maybe the Astros are getting pitches tipped? 🙂

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far in Atlanta, Bauer has shut the mighty Braves lineup down on 2 hits and 9 Ks. Max Fried has also been good, spinning 0s on Reds hitters.

Participant

Free

Maybe there is something to the pitching-beats-hitting paradigm. Braves have the best offense, getting shut down after 7, 0-0. Hopeful when it’s our turn.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will Smith, the reliever that the Braves picked up for a hefty sum last winter, has given up 7 homers in 16 innings. Ouch.

Participant

Free

Devin Williams is out for the wildcard series. Sore shoulder. Espn.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Reds and Braves still scoreless in the 11th! Two teams more noted for their offense. Go figure. Maybe we will change our spots as well and score 8-6-10 in the three games, losing game two 8-6.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs have a 1-0 lead on the Marlins. Our old friend Alcantara would be the hard luck loser if things stay as they are.

The Twins are trailing the Astros 2-1 in the bottom of the 8th. They’ll have to come back or they will spend another year as with that winless stream on their backs.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Marlins have scored 5 runs in the top of the 7th and now have a commanding lead. Quite the turn there.

The Twins now trail by two to the Astros. It’s looking bleak in Minnesota.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years