2020 Wild Card Series – non-Cardinals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Wild Card Series – non-Cardinals

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Reds squandered golden opportunities to take the lead in both the 12th and 13th, only for the Braves to walk off the win in the home 13th, 1-0. This was my pick as the most competitive matchup of the eight Wild Card Series. So far, it seems the case.

Freddie Freeman had the walkoff hit. As I discussed with DannyMac this morning, what an amazing story. Going from being really sick from COVID to the presumptive MVP and now, post-season hero.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wouldn’t it be a shame if the Marlins knocked out the Cubbies again 17 years after Bartman?

If I am not mistaken the Marlins have never lost a playoff series. When they get in the postseason it is World Series or bust.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Braves do get the victory today although Cardinal savior Marcel Ozuna goes 0-5 with 3 K’s.

Sorry, couldn’t resist. :o)

Participant

Paid - Annual

Cubs lose 5-1 to the Marlins. The Cubby season is now on the brink.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Way to go Alcantara! I wish the Reds had won though.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Starlin Marte was hit by a pitch in the 9th inning yesterday and broke one of his fingers so he is out. That hurts the Marlins but I really hope they can win one of the next two to eliminate the loud mouth Cubs. The Fish get Darvish today after beating Cy Hendricks yesterday.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Marte is not officially out yet. He may try to play.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forecast of Cub fans’ tears, amiright??

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another pitching duel in Atlanta. 1-0 in the fifth as Acuna got the RBI on a double against Luis Castillo. This happened next.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Thats the Marcell Ozuna that we all came to know and love during his tenure in St. Louis.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna was actually pretty decent in the playoffs for us last year, IIRC.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Braves lead the Reds 1-0 again in the bottom of the 8th. Are the Reds going to go 21 straight innings in the playoffs without scoring even one run?????

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Ozuna comments aged poorly very quickly.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a good series for Cincinnati with the bats. The pitching was mostly good except Raisel Iglesias, who’s struggled at times this season.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Luis Robert just pounded a 487 ft. HR off Mike Fiers. Wow!

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Reds managed to go 22 – not 21 – straight scoreless innings in the playoffs. They will have to live with that the entire off-season. But I bet those paychecks will help them get through it.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some strange doings in Chicago… Note the tarp isn’t even covering the infield…

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Luis Robert just pounded a 487 ft. HR off Mike Fiers. Wow!

Was watching that. What a blast — launch angle 32 degrees, apex 130 feet, exit velo 112 mph.

Which made me wonder, how is it possible for a human to hit one longer? Mickey Mantle had an estimated blast of 565 feet. Some say Ruth even more than that. How valid are those numbers? Hard for a mere mortal to distinguish the difference — kinda like detecting a difference between a $300 million contract vs $330 million.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro, here’s an article on a big fly by Mark McGwire in the 98 season that talks about estimating home run distances.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2016/6/30/12063478/the-time-mark-mcgwire-hit-a-545-foot-home-run

I suppose if you had a lot of wind blowing out and it was hot and humid and a guy who was incredibly strong made great contact maybe you would get something over 520 feet. So far that hasn’t happened in the Statcast era though.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A HR by Reggie Jackson in a 70’s All-Star game is the longest I think I’ve ever watched.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m noticing Piscotty has started only one game of three during the OAK vs CHW wild card matchup, and was slotted as the #8 batter.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like Ozuna jacked a 2 run homer in the 8th and was responsible for 40% of their runs today.

Participant

Free

So the Reds go scoreless in 22 innings in Atlanta. Against the worst starting pitching staff in the NL with an ERA over 5. That is pitiful.

They hit 90 HR’s this year. Only 3 teams in the NL hit more HR’s. But they were too reliant on the HR. They were 3-14 this year in games in which they did not hit a HR. Their team batting average of .212 was last in MLB.

Lots of HR’s, with lots of strikeouts, does not trump batting average and situational hitting. Even if you have good pitching. And it’s boring.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years