2020 Cardinals Game #6 – Fri., August 7 vs. Cubs – postponed

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #6 – Fri., August 7 vs. Cubs – postponed

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Let me spread a little more gloom. Our next series is Pittsburgh at home M,T,W. If someone tests positive before that series starts then that series will be postponed making 13 games the Cards would have lost and to be made up. You could not schedule a team for 13 doubleheaders and 55 games in 46 days. They would need some special dispensation to carry more players and I assuming they will get one more for the double headers.

Question on the protocols: I understand that if quarantined they are restricted to their rooms or homes (not sure about homes). But if the season is underway and everybody is negative is the only off field protocol that they wear a mask and social distance but are not restricted on going out?

Participant

Paid - Annual

The most logical way to makeup the Cub games would be to add them to our scheduled trips to Wrigley. That would mean the Cubs would not play any games at Busch this year but oh well.

While we know that the playoff spots will be determined by winning percentage, is there a minimum number of games a team has to play to be considered eligible? What if the Cardinals or another team only played 20 games because of covid but their winning percentage was good enough to be in the top 8? Is that enough? I imagine the other teams would balk at that.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

While we know that the playoff spots will be determined by winning percentage, is there a minimum number of games a team has to play to be considered eligible?

I’ve wondered this too.

Reminds me of the NFL changing ties to count as a half win / half loss for purposes of computing winning percentage. This happened in the early 70s. Before that, ties didn’t count. The rationale was a team could go 1-0-13 and be league champion with only one win due to its perfect winning percentage. Or more realistically, a 10-1-3 team would’ve finished ahead of 12-2 team. After the change, the 12-2 team would come out on top.

Participant

Free

I would assume the first 2 games of the Pittsburgh series will not be played at least. They could squeeze in a double header on Wednesday or put a double header or the 27th. They can play 2 double headers in Chicago next week. They can make up the other game on the off day on the 3rd. We play Pittsburgh starting on the 17th of September and can fit a twin bill in there. However that would leave no off day the rest of the season.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good question on the minimum number of games. You might make it so teams have to play say 56 games or more to be eligible for post season. That would be a little over 93% of a full schedule. Or MLB could say 90% minimum, which would be 54 games. It will depend on how bad these cancellations get and whether or not most teams end up below the 60 game mark. But if most every team plays the full 60, at least the 54 game minimum seems fair to be eligible.

I would think it somewhat unethical for a team that played say 50 games that had a better winning percentage than a team that played 60, to be seeded higher.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ethics can be interpretative. Is is more unethical to make a team play 55 games in 49 days, for example? Where is the balance point? No easy answers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wouldn’t extending the season by a week make sense? They could reschedule one series for each team. It could be similar to an all star break. Then make that series the last one of the regular season. It would alleviate some double headers, and give cushion in the schedule for more Covid cases.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years