2020 Cardinals Game #6 – Fri., August 7 vs. Cubs – postponed

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #6 – Fri., August 7 vs. Cubs – postponed

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Booyah, it takes days to show up, sometimes a week. The new player possibly/likely got it from one of the formerly positive players.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Rumor is it’s someone in the bullpen.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Rumor is it’s someone in the bullpen.

Actually right now it doesn’t matter who it is. It got tonights game postponed and puts the Cards into another doubleheader at the mininum. That will make it 8 doubleheaders and if they postpone the next two games they may as well cancel the season for the Cards.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Congratulations to Mo and the Cardinals for finding another positive test, hopefully, before it had a chance to spread!

Now don’t let this stupid virus win. Begin protocol for positive test. Resume play when complete.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read elsewhere that the Cub charter flight is scheduled to leave St. Louis soon. I do not know if this had been verified. Perhaps the entire series is cancelled.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Multiple media reports has the entire series postponed. No official statement yet. Mo has delayed call with media.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Too many double headers.

Injury bug will be worse than usual thus year.

What a mess.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Right now the last thing this team needs to worry about is too many double headers and the injury bug. it just needs to get covid free first.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Helsley and Dean

plus another staff member.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

I think we need to get ready for the possibility that the Cardinals will not play another game in 2020.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

So when are the Marlins playing again?

I’m not buying a cancellation to the Cardinals season. They might cancel the Pittsburgh series or at least delay it a couple games.

However if they aren’t considering another self quarantine of the players at this point they are loco.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sheesh, this is ridiculous. If this team cannot suck it up and control itself while pretty much the rest of MLB is playing games, then maybe they need to just go home for the rest of 2020 and come back when they can discipline themselves.

I know, I sound like an angry parent there. But man, this is so lame it has me frustrated.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How do we know this is due to a lack of discipline? By the team? The players? One player or all 30? Blame assignment based on what?

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a frustrating situation for all involved. I hope the organization can become COVID-free ASAP and infected players recover without any lingering issues. Health and safety are the top priority now.

The Cardinals face a real scheduling challenge now. They must make up ten games within the time frame allotted to play 45 games. This works out to 55 games within 49 days. This assumes they are cleared to play after this weekend and do not have any other cancellations through the end of the season (for any reason). For reference, in a “normal” season you would expect the schedule to be something like 44 or 45 games in 49 days (excluding the effects of the All-Star break.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At some point, they are just going to have to admit that all games cannot be made up. Trying to do so (playing 55 games in 49 days) would pose an additional risk to all teams involved. From a purity and competition perspective, it does not seem fair, but nothing about this season is normal anyway. Just add another to the list.

When asked last night about getting in all the postponed games, Mo said, “Mathematically, it would seem a challenge.” But he also acknowledged it hadn’t been discussed yet.

bccran
    Participant

What happens if you play less than 60 games and win the division?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

With the top winning percentage, you go into the playoffs as the no. 1 divisional seed.

P.S. What we should remember is that every game the Cardinals do not play, that means other teams also play the same fewer number of games. So if it happens, it won’t be just one club with under 60. It could be multiple teams in both the AL and NL Central Divisions.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Cards have seven games with the Cubs left… all at Wrigley. 3 games Mon Aug 17-Tue Aug 18 and Wed Aug 19. And a 4 game Labor Day weekend wrap around. Piling on 3 more double-headers is doable…. anything goes in ’20. Our present starters will be losing starts with each DH added on the schedule.

Just guessing…. to replace Helsley on the 28-man will be either Elledge or Kaminsky… both presently not on the 40-man roster.

Replacing Dean is an easy choice…. Williams who is already on the 40-man.

Then there will be two prospects added to the Summer Camp roster.

The double-headers would be a stress on the pitching staff. There are eleven possible choices to start games (Flaherty-Hudson-Wainwright-Kim-PDL-Gant-Gomber-Ramirez-Reyes-Woodford)-Cabrera) But that would stress the bullpen even more. Having only two days off adds to the trobles. Two infielders and one outfielder would need to start both of the seven inning games plus a DH for the two lineups. Not such a big deal for the younger players. Actually, the opposing teams might be at a bigger disadvantage.

Ah man, these are troubling times. At this point we should be praying that 2021 will be a return to some sort of normalcy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny said:

1) Just guessing…. to replace Helsley on the 28-man will be either Elledge or Kaminsky… both presently not on the 40-man roster.

2) Replacing Dean is an easy choice…. Williams who is already on the 40-man.

3) Then there will be two prospects added to the Summer Camp roster.

1) and 2) Precisely what I suggested in my article last night! Personally, if all else was equal, I would give the slight edge to Kaminsky, knowing he might be considered less of a loss if he has to go through waivers later on.

3) It is not that simple. To add two players to the pool, two would have to be removed. One could be Mikolas if moved to the 45-day IL. Who would be the other?

The problem with adding players to the pool to replace COVID cases is that when the COVID players are well, someone has to go off the roster. That requires trade, waiver, release, etc.

P.S. Miami could do this because they brought in a bunch of players from the outside – guys they probably won’t feel badly about releasing later as the team gets back toward full strength. On the other hand, so far, all the Cardinals replacements have been internal.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Concerning Flaherty’s long layoff, lets remember that resulted by a decision of the field management staff. Jack could have thrown game 5 of the season on normal rest, as I voted for in the GT, but Ponce got the start.

Now we’re looking at Ponce as the “most recent” and Jack as the longest layoff. Our next start could be Jack’s third, not Ponce’s second, with Jack still sitting on one GS.

I know the staff couldn’t see this long layoff coming, this is hindsight of their decisions, but I also see no urgency to chase the highest win % possible in a shortened season by throwing your ace on regular rest when possible.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj, interesting considerations. By whenever they return, who started most recently would not seem to matter as much, IMO. All were a long time ago. This ramp up again for the entire roster has to be a huge concern. Mo mentioned that the start-stop is what is bothering the players the most. Even for the teams still playing every day, injuries are way up this year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In talking about the potential revised schedule, Ny said this:

Actually, the opposing teams might be at a bigger disadvantage.

That is a great point. Forget that other teams may be reluctant to take the field against the Cards given the positive tests. That should pass in time if no more outbreaks. But at some point, their opponents may balk over their own schedules being disrupted due to the Cardinals. I wouldn’t be surprised if this comes up as an issue if games continue to be postponed. So far, no opponent has more than four games affected, Detroit. Until this weekend, all the postponed games were jammed into the calendar. What is the breaking point for the schedule?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, if 2020 has taught us anything, it should be that tomorrow things will have turned upside-down. We can’t assume past today, so field staff decisions should be made as if we don’t know what tomorrow brings.

Hopefully they doesn’t mismanage the rotation going forward. Who wouldn’t want Jack as “most recent” and leading the rotation in starts? Maybe they can get Jack back on schedule if/when “most recent”, is no longer recent.

Not seeing any urgency in the field staffs planning. Disappointing. Hope that changes.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the number of doubleheaders the Cards are gonna have to play, the days between starts will matter less than games between starts. The team is gonna need 7-8 or more viable starters, if the schedule all gets played.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.