2020 Cardinals Game #6 – Fri., August 7 vs. Cubs – postponed

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #6 – Fri., August 7 vs. Cubs – postponed

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As an appetizer, here are Thursday workout comments.

7:15 p.m.
    LHP Jon Lester (1-0, 0.82) vs. RHP Daniel Ponce de Leon (0-1, 6.75)
    FS Midwest // KMOX

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting trivia.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Flaherty is not starting this one? Anything unusual going on?

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To answer your Flaherty question:

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Cautious with his long layoff”? Granted, we’re only 5 games in, but due to circumstances mostly beyond our control, you can almost start the cubbie magic number clock a ticking for winning the divisional title. With all of this time off, how do you not have both Flaherty and Hudson good to go for games 1 and 2 in this all important series vs our arch rivals?

Concerning Oscar Tuero; what causes a talented young hurler to hang up the cleats after only 3 seasons? By all accounts, this crafty Cuban had great stuff, as his miniscule 2.88 career ERA can attest to. As a quick aside, Oscar survived this planet’s last great (for lack of a better word) influenza pandemic during 1918-19. He was in the vulnerable age group, as that particular pandemic not only ravaged the very old, but also people under 5 years of age, as well as those between age 20-40.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Flaherty details are in the article linked in the very first post of this thread.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome back, Pugs. Probably not a coincidence that it is on a game thread.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Cards 2020…. take 3.

Matt Graves on VEB suggests we “punt” in ’20 and sort out what we have for 2021.

The punting may turn out to be a plus for the team and even make it more competitive this season. We’re already 4.0 games out of first so maybe its not a bad idea although it goes against the grain up in the FO.

Putting Kim back in the rotation is an indication that the FO is going for it on fourth down.

I’m thinking that a poor showing this season (missing the play-offs) doesn’t bode well for attendance sales for 2021. Keeping those figures high will be the prime objective for 2021 almost forcing the FO to sign a marquee free agent or trade for one that has one or two years left on his contract. In any scenario that might be the best thing to do anyway. Of course that suggests that shedding some more salaries for next season.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

They are 4 games back of 1st…… AND are going into a 3 game series against the team they are 4 games back of, with 10 total left to play against them. That’s not a “let’s punt” situation just yet. The next two weeks will be extremely important, 15 games in 14 days could be great, or not so great. We will see!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What does “punt” even mean in this context? 16 teams make the playoffs and anything can happen in October. Seems like panic to me.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Cubs closer Kimbrel is sporting a 23.63 ERA- I know, still early.
    Twp days off until end of season. 7 double headers. Pitching corps needs to be ready.
    Prediction: Harry’s son will be traded before the end of the month. For who? Don’t have a clue.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Welcome back Pugs. Good to hear from you again.

I don’t know about the punting idea. I can understand it on some levels but it is going to be difficult for the Cardinals not to make the playoffs this year. I am not saying we should immediately bring Carlson up and swing a big trade before August 31 but this team is good enough as is to make the top 8 of the NL. Just get in the playoffs and see what happens.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Your don’t punt 5 games into a season, even in a 60-gamer. Anything can happen and it could look a lot different a month from now.

Let’s just hope the rest of the season can be played out for all teams, and no more cancellations occur due to COVID.

14NyquisT
    Participant

That’s Grave’s word and just a suggestion.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Game postponed, new positive test on the Cards. Per a friend with intel from Cubs side, he would know.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

lol this is just getting ridiculous. It’s kind of depressing.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

“Say it ain’t so Joe.”

858booyah
    Participant

Free

So everyone who tested negative got on a flight and went back to stl. I would hope they tested everyone before they got on the charter or plane.

So a player either went out in public and came in contact with someone or a family member in a household had it and gave it to them.

Remember we had some backlash on an mlb bubble. It’s on the players, coaches, support staff and families of these players to be careful. Positives will happen but the bubble is sounding more and more was the way to go.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Saddened to hear about tonight’s game being cancelled. But I’m glad Pugs isn’t in the witness protection program.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is unbelievable.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just end the season now. I’m tired of having this yo yo pulled away from us time and time again.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

858, I would just add that the incubation period seems to vary by person so it may be difficult to figure out when the infection happened. The Cardinals have been testing every day since the first positive, but that doesn’t mean the person was exposed yesterday or the day before. We are all guessing right now. Mo will update us at 5 pm.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Yeah I get the incubation. It might be people that the younger you are that it takes more time to uncover. Not a medical guy so can’t speak to that.

So was any consideration given by the team to testing the people living in the players household? I mean nothing is stopping relatives, GF, friends staying with the players of putting themselves in questionable situations.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Oh man, this is just crazy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.