2020 Cardinals Game #55 – Fri, Sept. 25 vs. Brewers DH Game 1

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #55 – Fri, Sept. 25 vs. Brewers DH Game 1

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

4:15 p.m.
    RHP Jack Flaherty (4-2, 4.84) vs. RHP Josh Lindblom (2-3, 4.81)/TBA
    S Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, today’s a big day for the 2020 Cards’ postseason chances. Jack is the ace and he needs to pitch like it in game 1. Certainly he’s capable of shutting the Brewers down for 7 innings and inching the team one game closer to the playoffs.

One would think that if they found a way to both today, that would just about sew up a playoff spot with the only thing left to determine as the seed. Let’s hope it comes true. After all this year’s chaos, it would be nice to have a couple of down days for the team.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t think the Cardinals can clinch anything today/tonight, but two wins would go a long way.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Giants have a double header vs Padres today (4 game series)
    Cubs final 3 @ White Sox
    Marlins final 3 @ Yankees
    Reds final 3 @ Twins
    Phillies final 3 @ Rays
    Brewers final 4 @ Cardinals

down the stretch…..

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think the Cardinals can clinch anything today/tonight, but two wins would go a long way.

That’s why I said just about. They’d probably have to lose out to miss the playoffs if they won two today. I don’t know all the scenarios, but the worst the Cards could do then would be .500 so it would seem to require the Giants, Marlins, Reds and Phillies to all win tough series to knock them out.

Hopefully the two wins happen and we can argue scenarios then. 😁

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The biggest external issue is the Reds. They need to lose while the Cards win to take second place. As I wrote on the front page yesterday, ideally the Cards can avoid playing Monday – and get two days to rest (or really one day to rest and one day to travel).

Otherwise, it is travel to MN DET on Monday and play two. Then, if they get in, travel to the Wild Card city on Tuesday and play Game 1 on Wednesday. The grind continues…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Otherwise, it is travel to MN on Monday and play two. Then, if they get in, travel to the Wild Card city on Tuesday and play Game 1 on Wednesday. The grind continues…

I think you meant travel to Detroit on Monday.

Would our potential wild card series be in Arlington or Houston? It probably depends on our seeding.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of course, Detroit Monday. Correction made.

The Wild Card Series location is not in Texas (or California). It is in the home city of the nos. 1-4 seeds. As of this moment, the no. 5 seed Cards would play at no. 4 seed San Diego Chicago. Personally, I hope it stays that way.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think the Cubs can be a 4 seed. They will be number 3 if they win the division.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, you are right about seeding. Division winners 1-3. So to be correct, SD would be no. 4 seed right now despite the second-best record in the NL. So goes it being in the same division as the Dodgers…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like the lineup for game one. Putting Edman at third and O’Neill in left improves the defense, and O’Neill is a better base runner than Carpenter. I really do not see any value in keeping Carpenter in 2021 with Miller also on board. But who knows what will happen between now and then.

As for the series, we got our win that I figured we could get from pitching. I think this first game today may the one where the bats put up a crooked number and we win along the lines of 9-2. Then game two will be a tough one where we likely get shut down and drop it by a score of 3-1, something like that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Miller and Carpenter sit.

1. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    2. Tommy Edman (S) 3B
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Dexter Fowler (S) DH
    7. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    8. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    9. Harrison Bader (R) CF

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edit-Brian just beat me to it.

I’m gonna say this one ends 7-1. Jack gets the Brewers back by striking out 11.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikewrote:

I really do not see any value in keeping Carpenter in 2021

Mike, there are 18.5M reasons why he isn’t going anywhere.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Whats the over/under on the number of times O’Neill strikes out in this one?

O/U = 1.5

I’ll take the Over.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just don’t want Carpenter’s option to vest for 2022. He’s dead weight for for 2021. The FO needs to add another infielder in the offseason. Too bad Millers glove is iron.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have four outfielders hitting 6-9. I’d love it if they carried the day. Carlson gets the 4 o’clock sun in RF, just find a way rook.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Miller and Carpenter sit”

They were 0 for 5 last game vs Lindblom with 2 K’s each and 0 BB’s.
    Lindblom went 5 IP, 0 ER, 3 singles, 0 BB’s, 6 K’s

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, the club would take a financial loss on Carpenter if he was cut. I doubt they could peddle him, although maybe as part of a big deal he could be a thrown in with the Cardinals kicking in a good chunk of his salary. I think he might have a bit of a career resurrection by going home and playing for the Rangers.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am going to take the over on O’Neill also, but for home runs. I am going with him cranking two over the boards today.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Oh, and speaking of Ty the muscle guy, has anyone seen what Marco Gonzales is doing this year? Last I looked he was 7-2 for a sub-.500 club. We do have a lot of pitching, but so far that is another deal where we lost.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Flaherty looks like a pumpkin vs the Brewers

bccran
    Participant

The deal still has to play out. O’Neill only has 445 major league plate appearances. He was a MLB.com top 100 prospect.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty looks like a pumpkin vs the Brewers

Makes you wonder if the Brewers have picked up on a tip that no one else has.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.