2020 Cardinals Game #5 – Wed 7/29 at Twins

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #5 – Wed 7/29 at Twins

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wednesday, July 29 7:10 p.m. at Minnesota Twins
    RHP Miles Mikolas (9-14, 4.16 in 2019) vs. RHP Rich Hill (4-1, 2.45 ERA in 2019) (season debuts)
    FS Midwest // KMOX

Mikolas scratched, replaced by Daniel Ponce de Leon (0-0, 0.00)

Thursday, July 30 OFF DAY

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Game 2 vs the Twins COULD BE Flaherty on regular rest, since Miles is IL. Jack gets my vote.

Participant

Free

It’s already decided that PonceDeleon is starting tomorrow.

Wong
    Edman
    Goldy
    DeJong
    Carpenter
    Molina
    Fowler
    O’Neill
    Bader

lol maybe this is tomorrows lineup but it’s today.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatar858booyah.
    jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thanks 858, that’s why my vote is only worth one cent.

Participant

Free

Thanks for the lineup 858. Not sure how far we can go with our starting outfield hitting in the 7,8,9 holes, but we’ll see. Looking forward to seeing what C-Mart has tonight. Winning game one on the road would be nice. Go Cards.

Participant

Free

Today may be the day we see Shilty’s length of patience. CF is in need of a 2nd look and I still predict that Harrison will be traded this season if the game makes it that far. One day Yadi will have to let one of his subs start a game. Kinda funny to see players still jacked up for the start of the season rather than the typical summer doldrums and energy levels low.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kinda funny to see players still jacked up for the start of the season rather than the typical summer doldrums and energy levels low.

I thought it was funny when Danny said last night that this time last year was when Goldy caught fire. I was like…you mean Game 4? 😂😂😂

Last night was certainly a clunker. I’d imagine we might see a different RF and DH tonight with the lefty on the mound.

Participant

Free

I’ve googled anything and everything I could and still no direct answer, so do we know, has service time been adjusted 100%, directly with the 60 game season?

Also, did the “season” start last Thursday since there were games?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve googled anything and everything I could and still no direct answer, so do we know, has service time been adjusted 100%, directly with the 60 game season?

Also, did the “season” start last Thursday since there were games?

The season started July 23 for four teams, everyone else on July 24, so I assume the official start of the season was July 23.

As for service time, I found this on a Detroit Tigers site.

Prorated Service time in 2020
    Under the terms of the agreement reached between major league owners and players on March 27, 2020, players will receive service time on a prorated basis for the 2020 season, assuming the season is not cancelled. That means that a player will receive 2.8 days of major league service for every day that they are on the (26 to 30 man) major league roster. A player who is in the major leagues for the full 60 game season will receive one season of service time.

The formula: (No of days on MLB roster x 186) / 66 = credited service time in 2020

A player who is on the major league roster for 30 days will receive 30 x 186/ 66 = 85 days service time.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I didnt see the game last night. How did Martinez look?

I’ll say it again, i dont think he is ever going to become the pitcher we thought he was going to become a few years back. Just doesnt have it between the ears.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

O’Neill moves up to #5 as Carp sits.

Participant

Free

Thanks GScott.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Have been away from the forum with family visiting. Is our outfield really hitting 7,8,9? Have never seen that before in MLB. And how’s Bader hitting? Hope he’s picked it up.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader finally got a hit last night, a double that the third baseman couldn’t get to. O’Neill has two HR’s for the year so far. IMO, Fowler looks like he’s more into the game than he used to be. Edman is playing hard although he had a couple of defensive hiccups last Sunday. I think only one of them was charged as an error.

Participant

Free

I’m 100% for PDL in the rotation, and love watching him pitch. I’m 101% for Gomber getting a chance, can anyone advise me on this moral dilemma I’m facing….

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

PDL looking good so far. Even the pitch to Cruz was a good one that luck turned into a double. Now need some base runners.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Remember how the Red Sox used to eat our lunch no matter what sort of team the Cards had, every year we had to play them? The Twins feel like the new Red Sox. The Cards have just not been able to score and the Twins are capitalizing on literally every opportunity. 3-0 Twins feels like 13-0.

Participant

Paid - Annual

How’s that Cardinal outfield doing so far this season, 25?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another tough night for the Cardinal offense. Praying for the miracle to happen in the ninth.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I sure hope Friday they play some different outfielders. Sit Fowler and Bader.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Minnesota has a good ball club … impressive line up and a good bull pen.

Participant

Paid - Annual

PDL deserves another start.

Participant

Free

Painful game to watch to be polite or politically correct or whatever the fancy term is these days….. giving up three to a lineup like the Twins have is more than acceptable, but the Cards lineup needs a lot of help.

Say this in your best Jack B voice “Mr. Carlson…… we will see youuuuu, Friday night!!”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Whitley post-game

Not as much nerves today (second appearance). More locked in on making good pitches. More confident today.

Twins a very powerful team. Often swinging early in counts. Cannot take pitches off. All trying to do is collect outs as fast as I can.

Ponce post-game

Didn’t have groove in first inning but found it later on. Threw more curves later as Yadi got trust in it. Usually works fastball off curve, but today was opposite. Also dropped in a few cutters.

If he looked at the video of the questionable ball four: “I looked. There is nothing I can do.” No accountability. Except it goes on my line. (Sort of threw his hands up)

As starter, he wants to go deep so couldn’t give himself a good grade. Couldn’t get balls in play. Had just one, one-pitch out.

His fastball today was easily its wildest compared to Summer Camp.

Feels he definitely deserves another chance to start. Can go deep into the game with a bit more fastball command. They fouled off a decent number of balls. Twins are a good team, let the AL in HRs last year.

Rosario pitch was supposed to be up and away, but he yanked it down and in and Rosario got it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt post-game

On Ponce: When a little bit wild, don’t always get the calls. (Home plate ump) Jerry (Meals) does a good job. Ponce has quality stuff, but it is about harnessing it and keeping in the zone. Did it better in camp. Got better as game went on. Rosario’s looked like a good pitch.

On offense: There is frustration when you don’t put together as many consistent ABs as you would like and can’t string them together. But group is pretty professional and will not press.

About changing the lineup and replacing Bader and calling up Carlson: The Carlson question is for Mo. Don’t want to overreact. Offense was good a few days ago. Do not expect wholesale changes (to the lineup). Important for Harrison to get out there. They are facing a LHP Friday.

Gptta tip hat to Twins. Hitting may be a little behind. Give them opportunities to work through it. Changes depend on how guys are looking. We have right process. Not chasing, swing and miss, …

9 IP scoreless by pen last two nights including 4 1/3 tonight. Mentioned all of tonight’s relievers by name. Good teams have good bullpens.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years