2020 Cardinals Game #46 – Thu, Sept. 17 at Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #46 – Thu, Sept. 17 at Pirates

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

White knighting for unsolicited activists is a personal bias.

I could be wrong but my suspicion is that these complaints against players only come up when two things happen:

1. The player is underperforming on the field.
    2. The player’s “activisim” is contrary to the opinions of the critic.

If Jack was performing like a top 5 cy young candidate would his activism still be such an irritant?
    If Jack’s activism were directed towards a different political bent would his on the field struggles be more easily forgiven?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Like I said, no one wants to be preached to unless they walk into the church. That goes for activists from Hollywood, MLB, a neighbor, or the commoner who shares an office cubicle with you at work. I don’t think performance is the main factor. Maybe ESPN can get Ricky Gervais to host the ESPYs next time.

Also, if you’re criticizing the critic of an activist for having a political bias, then the bias probably goes full circle.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am saying that the critics seem to be inconsistent as to when this activism bothers them.

bccran
    Participant

I’d give up Martinez and either Woodford or Oviedo for a good bat. Maybe Soler. I’m also intrigued with Mitch Haniger, if he can rebound from injuries. He may not cost as much in a trade.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I am saying that the critics seem to be inconsistent as to when this activism bothers them.

Not in my case. My criticism is consistent once established. There are more than a few movies I have not seen because one of the actors has ticked me off in the past and usually they are great actors but I just can’t look at them without being reminded of whatever sin it was they committed to tick me off. Same thing in other fields including sports but not whole teams – just individuals.

bccran
    Participant

gscottar – you asked how many prospects I would give up for a bat. I gave you an answer in a possible trade. We have lots of trade chips, including some of our present major leaguers like Wong and Bader.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bcran, I will move this discussion to the “Offense” thread since this is an old game thread.

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.