2020 Cardinals Game #46 – Thu, Sept. 17 at Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #46 – Thu, Sept. 17 at Pirates

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not sure which interviews you are listening to, but I have sat in on every post-game interview that Flaherty has conducted this season. I sensed zero overconfidence. He was accountable to the fact he did not pitch well recently. He did seem to fidget a bit, perhaps because he was uncomfortable with struggling. I think sometimes people forget that these are young men, many of whom are not even in their mid-20’s. Flaherty is currently dealing with some adversity so we will see how he comes out of it.

As to all the appearance and posture and politics stuff floated here, I agree with gscottar. I try tune it out, just as a player would ignore irrelevant distractions. It is just noise that would disappear in an instance if the player was performing well.

Participant

They aren’t personal biases if posters think Flaherty’s political interests are taking his thinking off the baseball job at hand.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran, does your business suffer because of your passion for Cardinals baseball? This is nothing more than amateur psychology. At the slightest sign of trouble, many fans have to find an excuse – something or someone to blame.

Participant

Free

I feel like this season may be lost and the risk of injury to pitchers is sky high compared to every past year. I would hate to ruin 2021 on some fluke injury to two of our good young pitchers late this year.

Not quite sure what you are suggesting. Should Flaherty and Hudson be removed from starting? Guess Kim and Waino and Carlos can handle the load but I look at Kim as better than either of them and that is a super small base. If they put Hudson on the 10 day IL effective today he is done for the season anyway. The BP guys are starting to look pretty shaky under the load and Springfield is limited in what they have.

As for comparing ERAs of Waino and Flaherty…………give me a break. That’s like comparing apples to apricots.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not sure the relevance of any comps between Wainwright and Flaherty, but I will point out that Jack has already made 73 starts in the majors. By the time he was the same age, 24, Adam was yet to have made his first MLB start.

Participant

Free

Bccran….on the hitters we still have guys telling me this entire club still does NOT need a complete overhaul. Astounding.

Participant

This isn’t the slightest sign of trouble, BW. The difficulty in scoring runs has been going on for some time. In 2019 the Cardinals ranked 25th in MLB in total bases. They ranked 23rd in batting average and 23rd in slugging percentage. With Ozuna gone, Card fans were begging for Mo to add a bat or two. He added Miller, but it was a long way from enough. As has been said a gazillion times, he put way too much trust in O’Neill, Bader, and Thomas.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As has been said a gazillion times, he put way too much trust in O’Neill, Bader, and Thomas.

True to some extent, but as has been said a gazillion and one times, it probably has more to do with our budget constraints than a belief that O’Neill, Bader, and Thomas are all three quality MLB starters.

Participant

Free

Also, sooner or later, we had to find out what we had in those prospects. If we keep bringing in others players without using the prospects, the prospects will just “die on the vine” or become a Luke Voit for some other team.

Participant

And a gazillion and two – trade for a proven bat that fits into the budget, Gscottar.

Forsch – do you really feel that O’Neill, Bader, or Thomas have the talent to someday hit in the #3 hole for the New York Yankees?

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

People watch baseball because they like . . . . BASEBALL. When a player decides to “use my platform” for something other than baseball, then he changes that balance. You don’t get one-way traffic in this scenario. To expect that is hypocritical at best. People don’t like to be preached to unless they walk into the church.

Off the field issues affect player performance all the the time and they are discussed ad nauseum. Does FG have charts on how financial problems affect performance, how legal issues affect performance, how drug use affects performance, how domestic issues affect performance, etc.? Are they discussed? Same with politics, probably even more so. If you’re going to dish it out, grow some skin in the other direction. White knighting for unsolicited activists is a personal bias.

And the thought if player performance has not degraded, the issues don’t get discussed — well, that’s not the case here, is it?

Participant

Free

Bccran, at what point did I ever say that?

Participant

In your post at 11:41.

Participant

Free

You need to re-read what I wrote in that post.

And just for the record, I think O’Neill does have enough power to someday hit in the #3 spot for the Yankees.

Participant

I read it several months times. You allude in the second part that the prospects could possibly become a Luke Voit for another team if not given a chance here.
    Or they could either on the vine.
    I responded to that.

Participant

Free

That was a reference to all prospects not just those three. I’m not getting into another long, drawn out discussion on them. I already know what you think of them and you suspect you know how I feel. Let’s leave it at that.

The fact remains that prospects have to get a chance or they will never produce for us.

Participant

One small difference, Forsch. When Voit was with the Cards he struck out 25% of the time. So far in the majors, O’Neill has struck out 34% of the time. Ouch.

Participant

Free

So go tell Mo he made a bad decision.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

But I believe Ty’s K rate is trending downward. He usually lays off pitches out of the zone better than he was in the past.

He needs to get the reps to see if he can continue to improve. Sometimes that is tough with our club as we expect to win now.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with you, bicyclemike. O’Neill is the one who stands out as having the tools to potentially make an impact. We saw it in the win against the Brewers when he crushed that ball to right center. He’s got the strength to hit the ball out to all fields, but he has struggled with pitch recognition, or so it seems. Maybe he will never get it. Maybe he will next year, or maybe he will be traded away.

Participant

Good point on Tyler. But in trying to make the playoffs, can we have Tyler, Harry, and Carp in the lineup every game?

Participant

Free

Yes. Although, I would have Carpenter out of the lineup more often. Bader and O’Neill need to play almost everyday.

Participant

I can go either way on O’Neill. Forsch. But where we differ is on Bader. You’re a Bader man. I’m not.

Participant

Free

If Bader wasn’t getting on base at an over .300 clip or didn’t play elite defense, I might not want him in there. However, there are not 3 OFs currently on the roster that are playing better than him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

And a gazillion and two – trade for a proven bat that fits into the budget, Gscottar.

That sounds so easy. Powerful bats that are still a couple of years away from free agency don’t grow on trees and they certainly aren’t cheap trade wise. How many top prospects are you willing to give up to get said bat?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years