2020 Cardinals Game #46 – Thu, Sept. 17 at Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #46 – Thu, Sept. 17 at Pirates

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s pretty clear at this point that the team has hit a wall. The schedule and pileup of injuries appear to have been too much to overcome. You never know if they might have one last gasp, but it would be surprising if they got it together and managed to make it to October.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Streets Of San Francisco was a great show. Awhile back the Decades channel had Cannon as their weekend binge show.

Is it just because I am an old guy, or was television truly better in the ‘60s and ‘70s?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Knizner isn’t even among the 28 active. How do you get him on the roster? Twitter wants to release Wieters, but that would be really stupid to do today when Yadi gets injured tomorrow.

Similar roster issue with Carlson. You could send down Williams, but what do you do when Fowler is ready? Just don’t activate him? Not play him? He was the best hitting OF they had this year. I guess they could cut Schrock to get Carlson and Fowler on the roster at least.

Frankly, I am pessimistic that Carlson had time to figure it out in Springfield. Playing him now would be part of throwing in the towel, IMO.

Prior to 2020, when rosters could expand in September, teams could easily deal with this kind of thing. No longer. But they do save money.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well tonight’s game was depressing. We are now 2-4 against the Pirates. We still have time find a way to squeak into the playoffs but it is difficult to do when you can’t beat the worst team in the NL.

Participant

Free

Uh oh.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hudson’s X-rays tonight were negative. He is having imaging tests tomorrow. He said he is pretty hopeful and is keeping a good mindset until he has the facts. There was no prior indication of any trouble.

Shildt said, “On a scale from A to Z, my concern is fairly low.” But there is some concern given he was taken out of the game. Called it a “mild forearm strain.”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt took exception to a suggestion that the offense is flat. He says the energy and focus is good. He says he looks at aggressiveness on bases, playing good defense (such as backing up each other) for signs of flatness and isn’t seeing it. He did acknowledge a saying Mark DeJohn used to use, “When you don’t put something together, your team can look flat.”

Participant

Paid - Annual

This offense flat? With 4 hits in the last 16 innings? Naw.

Participant

Free

But one thing you might do if the club sinks over this weekend is bring Carlson back and let him play out the season as the right fielder.

What did Carlson do that you want him back up?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How rough was it?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brault has had 2 games where he got into the 7th inning in his last 17 starts.
    Tonight was 1 of the 2.

Participant

Free

10 days left in the season – 12 games (maybe 14).

…..if we lose Flaherty in addition to Hudson to injuries that impact 2021 as well.

Flaherty has contributed about zilch to this season. Lotta hope, not a lotta performance.

But one thing you might do if the club sinks over this weekend is bring Carlson back and let him play out the season as the right fielder. Maybe play Knizner a couple times a week.

Yeah BM but with only one week left it sure wouldn’t hurt to give it a try – if Yadi would allow it. I frequently have questions about who truly runs this team.

For the record, I have not seen two complete Cardinals games this season – the last two. Baseball has become boring.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty has contributed about zilch to this season. Lotta hope, not a lotta performance.

Small sample size bias there. His ERA was under 2 until the last two poor starts. Certainly you’re not suggesting that the team would willingly absorb the loss of one of their best pitchers just because he had two bad starts?

Participant

Free

Certainly you’re not suggesting that the team would willingly absorb the loss of one of their best pitchers just because he had two bad starts?

I never said to lose him. But he was a flash in the pan for the 2nd half of last season and no flash this season. Small sample size yes but that is also what you used to get that under 2 ERA. Even in this short season all I remember of early Flaherty is a lot of teeth knashing about how he could ever pitch after 17 days off. And that went on for his next 3 starts while Waino was showing the young guns where the bear pooped in the buckwheat. Jack is good but Jack is being mollycoddled (ain’t used that word in years).
    Brian said that Knizner is not available but I see him on the taxi squad so what are the rules on that. If Yadi gets hurt and Wieters gets knocked out can Knizner be brought onto the bench during a game as an emergency replacement?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wait a minute. Half a season during which Flaherty was the best pitcher in MLB is a flash in the pan? And that is negated by two bad starts? C’mon…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To the Knizner taxi squad question, no player transactions can be effective during a game. Never have. When the lineup cards are exchanged, the lists of available players are locked in. In your example, I would tell Schrock to get geared up in a hurry!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I never said to lose him. But he was a flash in the pan for the 2nd half of last season and no flash this season.

His career ERA is 3.37. Compare that to Waino’s at 3.38. While I agree that he has shown some potential holes in his armor, at the very worst he’s still a top 30 pitcher in baseball for 2021.

The greater point is that running him out there in a sinking season may end up looking foolish if he throws his elbow out and he and Hudson both miss time in 2021 because of it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A NL Central Division GM told me he thinks Flaherty could win the Cy Young some day.
    That’s a pretty strong endorsement.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If I am correct, the Cards have now lost seven of their last ten games. However, they still have a chance to make the playoffs. I would agree that their chances appear to be fading, but not gone. I would prefer the club go down fighting versus surrendering.

I am confident that the Cardinals would not roll out Flaherty and Hudson unless they were healthy and ready to pitch. I say stick to the rotation unless circumstances indicate otherwise.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

BW: I guess the only reason for a taxi squad then is to keep them clean of the bug; otherwise, they could be at home. I thought I heard them say the Alternate Site will be shutdown Monday but they must have meant Monday the Sept 28th. So during the playoffs there will be no player pool that is kept working out at an Alternate site?

Thanks for the laugh guys. All I had to do was make a somewhat bad remark about Jack Flaherty and Jack’s Army comes out. I confess. I lost a lot of respect for Jack because of his political views but I will admit that the last half of last season he was the cat’s meow. And he showed evidence of that at the beginning of this season but his last 3 performances have been about as subpar as the Cardinals offense. I am also chuckling about the throwing around of stats on TCN this season. Realize that every one of them will have an asterisk next to it and arguing on how to count it after two or three more years down the road (if the bug doesn’t kill the game before then.)

A good weekend to all and the Cards could make that come true for us and themselves. Last night, in my eyes, they looked beat from the first pitch on and I would have lost a lot of money betting that Pirates pitcher would make it 2 innings must less 9 .

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the laugh guys. All I had to do was make a somewhat bad remark about Jack Flaherty and Jack’s Army comes out. I confess. I lost a lot of respect for Jack because of his political views but I will admit that the last half of last season he was the cat’s meow. And he showed evidence of that at the beginning of this season but his last 3 performances have been about as subpar as the Cardinals offense. I am also chuckling about the throwing around of stats on TCN this season.

I didn’t post his stats from this year; I posted his career stats. Which are just fine. I don’t particularly care for Jack’s politics either, but he could support any cause he wants for all I care so long as he pitches well. He’s done that in his career, as has Waino, as has Carlos Martinez (another guy who gets a ton of flak for different reasons).

It’s ok to disagree. I feel like this season may be lost and the risk of injury to pitchers is sky high compared to every past year. I would hate to ruin 2021 on some fluke injury to two of our good young pitchers late this year.

Speaking of that, hopefully Hudson’s elbow is ok. We need him if we do somehow sneak into the playoffs.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You just hope that Jack hasn’t read too many glowing reports about himself and become over confident. Isn’t that what happened to a certain extent with Shelby Miller? Seems like guys with humility who work hard every day to improve, no matter how good they already are, are the guys who achieve long term success.

Participant

Free

As far as the playoffs go, we still control our own destiny. 4 more games against the Pirates. 3 games against Kansas City. 5 more games against Milwaukee. I know we look tired but if we pull out of it and finish strong, we should be in.

Cincinnati has a very tough finishing schedule to get in.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If we want to discuss a player’s performance or value to the team then let’s base it on his on the field stats. His politics, the kind of t-shirt he wears, his hair color, etc… have nothing to do with it unless Fangraphs has now incorporated those things into their analytical equations and I am unaware of it. Those are nothing but personal biases.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years