2020 Cardinals Game #46 – Thu, Sept. 17 at Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #46 – Thu, Sept. 17 at Pirates

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:05 p.m.
    RHP Dakota Hudson (3-2, 2.92) vs. LHP Steven Brault (0-3, 4.73)
    FS Midwest // MLB Network // KMOX

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

5 with the Pirates and 3 with the Royals. This is the make or break part of the season. Under normal circumstances, you would expect the Cards to go 6-2 or 5-3 at worst. But this team looks very tired. Not sure what can be done, but they need to snap out of it with the Reds suddenly getting hot. Like I said before, 2nd in the central or the #1 Wild Card is the ticket.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Reds schedule is about to get tougher. They still have to deal with the White Sox and Twins. We need to take advantage of playing the Pirates and Royals. I would say 5-3 at a minimum over the next 8 games.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman at 3B, Carp sits
    O’Neill in LF, Bader CF, Ravelo in RF

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far, the offense has picked up right where it left off in Milwaukee.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It is a little hard to listen to the announcers excuse Bader’s performance. Bader has 1,024 plate appearances at the Major League level coming into tonight’s game. Time is running out for Harrison. It took the Front Office about 1,300 plate appearances to determine to move away from Rasmus, Grichuk and Piscotty.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ravelo is going to get hurt playing right field.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t watch (blackout)…why did Hudson come out of the game?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is a little hard to listen to the announcers excuse Bader’s performance. Bader has 1,024 plate appearances at the Major League level coming into tonight’s game. Time is running out for Harrison. It took the Front Office about 1,300 plate appearances to determine to move away from Rasmus, Grichuk and Piscotty.

Why? He’s been average with the bat this year and remains an elite defender. None of those other guys did anything elite and they all had multiple poor tools. Bader isn’t worth throwing away unless he’s about 20% below average with the bat, IMO.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just exactly what we needed.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

right elbow tightness for hudson

Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess my point is this … we are not far from confirming what Bader is … an elite defender who hits occasionally. I think we have to accept that he will not get on base much, will hit a few home runs and play great defense.

That may be enough to play every day and compete for an NL title if he is sandwiched between two hitters that deliver .280+ average and .800+ OPS. He may be a luxury the team cannot afford over the short-term.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of the fourth not starting well … Gomber walks the first two hitters.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

my first two considerations at any position is 1) who would his replacement be and 2) how does this player rank vs others at his position in mlb.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl.
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Three run homer by Polanco off of Gomber. 3-1 Pirates. Not good.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I could live with the homer – if he hadn’t walked two guys prior…

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Anything with the elbow for Hudson is very concerning. That sounds like a precursor to TJ surgery.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Apparently, playing the Cardinals is the salve for every team’s wounds. The Pirates have lost 8 straight entering tonight.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

You lose tonight and if Hudson is done for 2020, hard to be optimistic about going anywhere this season.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You lose tonight and if Hudson is done for 2020, hard to be optimistic about going anywhere this season.

Agreed. They won’t do it, but with the risk of injury being so much higher this year, the smart strategy might be to punt on the rest of the season, shut your best assets down (especially pitching wise) to avoid losing Flaherty and Carlos and company for all of 2021 too, and wait til next year.

And yes, I do realize they are not technically out of playoff position.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

compete your best and look back with no regrets

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How do you tell the healthy players who have been busting their butts every day that you are giving up? That may sound good on a message board, but I don’t think that plays in the real world with real people.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How do you tell the healthy players who have been busting their butts every day that you are giving up? That may sound good on a message board, but I don’t think that plays in the real world with real people.

You can’t. Like I said, they won’t do it. That doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t end up looking like a no brainer if we lose Flaherty in addition to Hudson to injuries that impact 2021 as well.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, you gotta compete until the end. But one thing you might do if the club sinks over this weekend is bring Carlson back and let him play out the season as the right fielder. Maybe play Knizner a couple times a week.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And now its 5-1 Pirates.

Looks like this one is going to fall into the L Column tonight.

Time to watch The Streets Of San Francisco.

r/Esteemed Rat

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years