2019 Starting rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 Starting rotation

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m with stlcard25 on rotation
    Martinez
    Mikilos
    Flaherty
    Wacha
    Reyes or bust
    Let gant fill in when Reyes falls apart(and we know he will)

14NyquisT
    Participant

Ideally I’d like to see Mikolas-Flaherty-Wacha-Gomber-Hudson for the ’19 rotation.

There are plenty of options for trades, but naturally who will be involved could depend who other clubs will be interested in. A team interested in CMartinez won’t be looking at Poncedeleon. A team wanting Flaherty won’t be looking for Mikolas.

We may have to give up someone special to get the right return. Its so hard to try to determine next season’s rotation sitting in your home at your computer. You’d have to be sitting in Mozeliak’s office to have an informed idea…. and even then the course can change on a dime.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT

Participant
    I think that the FO will wait until late winter to make their move. That’s the timing that will excite the fan base and stimulate ticket sales. Not too many are willing to sit through another season watching a team that will, in the end, miss the play-offs like the last three seasons.

Enthusiasm is waning so the club needs some exciting news to break up the downward trend. So be patient…. big happenings are on the way.

I think we have heard that three off seasons in a row.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Is this just some random fan’s opinion or someone from the mainstream media? I cannot tell.

If the former, who cares? If the latter, it sounds like he/she is either new in town or should be working for the team!

P.S. Does this have something specific to do with the rotation?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Also, if they care about season ticket renewals, which I think they do as their bread and butter, waiting until late to “excite the fan base” is self-defeating. Season ticket renewal notices go out next month with full payment due by early January. They have the money in the bank three months before any fans even set foot in Busch.

I guess the flip side of the coin is to wait to see how season renewals do before deciding how big to spend, but I imagine they already have projection models built. The question I would have about that is whether they can be honest with themselves. (“3.4 million tells us everything is great.”) And maybe the season ticket holders are the most loyal of all fans and are not as concerned about the last three-plus years as the average fan may feel.

A lot of factors to consider…

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

How does Wainwright change the dynamic?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, I was responding to a quote from 14NyquisT who is a poster on this board.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Folks,
    I am telling you. If he is healthy and able to pitch next year then Alex Reyes will be the best pitcher on the team. As far as I am concerned you plan your rotation and bullpen around that. Period.

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry, gscottar. I thought the quote was of someone else from an external reader Q&A or article. I see it now on page 1 of this thread. Sorry to you as well, Ny. You are certainly allowed to be optimistic!

Rats, there is some talk that Reyes could start 2019 in Memphis to ramp up and be in reserve. My only point being his readiness to join St. Louis’ rotation at the start of the season should not be assumed. Another story to watch in spring camp.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like to see Reyes log 80 IP from the pen (2019) and then join the rotation the following season.

He’s coming off a handful of innings this past season (27) and i’d like to see him prove his health and build arm strength before joining the rotation.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

I don’t know what has happened that would lead anyone to think that “Big Happenings” are on the way.
    With one of the dullest teams in baseball they draw over three million. There’s no need for Junior to do anything. If they literally did NOTHING and went to ST with the roster they have right now they’d still sell over three million tickets. The Cardinals are a business and they’re making money like crazy. Why mess with that. I wouldn’t. Why sign a thirty million dollar guy and cut into those profits. Just sign a couple of bullpen slugs and a second tier hitter that no one else wants and spend 2019 counting the profits. I don’t know what Junior knows about baseball but to be certain he knows how to run a business and make loads of money. Go, Junior, you’re the man.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

another copy paste from Nate…

rotation seems set after the Waino signing if everyone is healthy… unless of course we do a major trade or a major role change

CMart, Mik, Wacha, Jack, Waino

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, if we see Reyes in the bullpen this coming year, it means the Cardinals don’t foresee his arm being able to hold up to a starter’s workload. In that case, he will be permanently in the bullpen, which would be very disappointing considering his potential.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Counting on Alex Reyes for anything is wishing in one hand and crapping in the other.Smart GMs dont count on a guy who has missed nearly 2 seasons in a row.Yes everyone would love to see Alex Reyes pitch in the rotation every 5th day but it wont likely happen.You plan your rotation without Reyes and anything at all you get from him is a bonus.I like the kid and hope he comes back but I think Brett Cecil has a better chance of pitching better than Alex Reyes making a impact this coming season .Alex Reyes makes Josh Donaldson look like lou Gehrig.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’d like to see the following:

MLB Starters
    1) Corbin or Keuchel
    2) Miles M
    3) Flaherty
    4) Wacha
    5) Waino – if they think they can get more out of him
    6) Weaver or Gant or Gomber – Trade of one or two likely
    AAA
    1) Hudson – Continues to start and be stretched out, but not over worked because they will need him in the second half, so it’s somewhat of a conserving situiation
    2) Reyes – Starts the year as an extra arm in the BP, then sent to AAA to stay stretched out, thus hopefully delaying his service clock a year since 2 years have already been completely wasted
    3) Ponce – Same as Hudson
    4) Helsley

In my scenario, Carlos Martinez, one of the three #6 starters, Kelly, Gyorko and JMart were traded in a massive three team trade that gets the Cardinals G. Torres of the Yankees or a similar player and a prospect or two.

1) Carp -1B
    2) Torres – SS
    3) Ozuna – LF
    4) Dejong – 3B
    5) O’neill – RF
    6) Molina – C
    7) Bader – CF
    8) Wong – 2B

Bench: Munoz, Wisdom, Fowler (sigh), Pena, battle in ST for 5th OF

Question: What would a realistic package look like for the Yankees to give up Torres? Would CMart, Gant, Kelly and Helsley be enough? That sounds like a ton, but I’m guessing that’s about what it would take for a cost controlled short stop with his skill set.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

CardsfaninChiTown,
    Uh, you cant be serious with that lineup, can you?

All Torres, O’Neill, and DeJong did last year was strikeout around 30% to 40% of the time. And you want them in the middle of your lineup? And you have a .241 hitter in the cleanup spot?

Recommend you recalculate.

r/Rat

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am hoping Waino is insurance for injuries like this year. Otherwise his best use is in the bullpen.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rats, while no one likes the strikeouts the Cards where not totally inept’
    RISP 2018

Ozuna .291 44-151
    DeJong .288 32-111
    JMarinez .309 46-149
    O`Neill .355 11-31
    Molina .283 32-113
    Gyorko .311 23-74
    Munoz .324 22-68
    Fowler .175 10-57
    Wong .238 19-80
    Bader .211 16-76
    Carpenter .220 22-100

So as you see DeJong and O`Neill did okay RISP.As did Munoz,Molina,Gyorko,Ozuna,JMartinez.Who are the worst RISP guys-Fowler,Bader,Wong,Carpenter.Wong not a big strikeout guy and neither is Fowler (who is finished IMO).The lineup can always be improved but its not the total blackhole you seem to think.Inconsistent yes,terrible no.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Torres and DeJong struck out 25% of the time. If that is a bad hitter, then here are a few more players that are bad hitters:

Paul Goldschmidt
    Trevor Story
    Jackie Bradley Jr.
    Javier Baez
    Khris Davis
    Kyle Schwarber
    Justin Upton
    Giancarlo Stanton
    Yoan Moncada
    Joey Gallo
    Ian Happ
    Yeonis Cespedes
    Aaron Judge
    Harrison Bader
    Luke Voit
    Ronald Acuna

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“I don’t know what Junior knows about baseball…”

Here you go, nate. It is never too late to educate yourself. He’s only been the owner for a quarter-century now. 😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=William_DeWitt,_Jr.&redirect=no

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The upgrade from gyorko to torres is not worth sending out both martinez’ and others, for torres and unknown prospects.

Stl shouldn’t.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Torres should be their shortstop next year since Gregorius is having Tommy John surgery.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Torres and think he could be a stud…but there’s a chance that Dejong is 90+% the player that Torres is at short, maybe even just as good…and that capital could be used elsewhere.

I still like Cmart in the rotation. I wouldn’t be opposed to signing Corbin as a lefty starter though.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Brian:

25 years doing the same thing doesn’t mean anything unless you can learn something. Considering he has to okay any trade or signing means he agreed to Fowler, Cecil Leake, Moss, Gregorsen, Holland and a whole list of slugs who were worthless. My point was: what he does or does not know about baseball doesn’t matter. He is a shrewd and successful businessman because if the suckers are buying your patent medicine no matter how worthless it may be…don’t change the formula.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I suspect that one or two of our potential starters will be traded to parts unknown for parts unknown. I just hope we have six people capable of starting to go with:

the middle
    Bader
    DeJong
    Wong
    Molina

and Ozuna.

If someone thinks Carpenter or Gyorko are starters, I wouldn’t mind giving them an opportunity to strike out elsewhere.

It would not bother me to see if anyone in the minors is capable of 3B or OF now. O’Neill would have to improve his production dramatically to justify his Ks.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.