StL 2019 Reg Season Opener – at MIL, Thu 3/28

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Reg Season Opener – at MIL, Thu 3/28

This topic contains 79 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 1982 willie 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No surprise here, so they got the announcement out of the way early.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I guess this means individual game threads? 😀

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jhoulys Chacin will get the start for Milwaukee. Game time will be 1:10 p.m. CT on FOX Midwest.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

tis a shame, I have to work this day. im hoping the cards win and get this season started off right. how we do in our division is going to decide our fate this year.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am not optomistic in this series. I think our lack of quality lefty relievers will bite us in the ass.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I figured 1982Willie was the kind of chap who wouldn’t let something like a job stand in the way of he and Opening Day. No matter what field you’re in, jobs are pretty much a dime a dozen these days…..while Opening Day only rears it’s beautiful head just once a year. This series has “split” written all over it. I’m looking for BIG things out of William Fowler this year. Especially in his case, it’s imperative that he jumps right out of the gate with a hot stick.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you are speaking of Dexter Fowler…. I’d rather have Ricky Fowler starting in RF.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I’ll be working during this one, too…but thank God for mlb.tv and a lot of freedom to keep an eye on games during the day. Worst case, I’ll be catching the first half of the game on the radio.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals first game of the year always calls any needed time off from work, and for a few red mugs of beer. Same with home opener. I am wondering how healthy the Brewers are?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Two of their big three bullpen weapons are out in Jeffress and Knebel. Formula to win: Knock the starter out early, force them to burn Hader in the middle innings and clean up late.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s amazing how young/weak their starting rotation is with Brandon Woodruff, Corbin Burnes, Freddy Peralta, and Zach Davies as the other four starters.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this will be like most of the season

If we hit we will be difficult to beat

I dont think our pitching or pen will ever be so terrible to keep us down, but i do think our lineup has so many guys who have histories of going into extended slumps…even Goldy

The only solid consistent offensive bat we have is Yadi…everyone else…it seems to be a coinflip on…though Yairo has been pretty good in his limited looks

now maybe with Goldy in there and it shakes some easier pitches to everyone else around him and things work themselves out

I thought that perhaps jsut the vast amount of streaky players woudl keep us away from all of them being down at any time small, but this Spring showed how anemic our offense can be when everyone is not hitting

Someone said this feels like a split…i kind of agree…. the team seems built for ups and downs and inconsistencies….but they have everything to sweep every team they play…and they also have the types that can lose to anyone…

But…i see this series and the season going the way of the bats…if they show up our pitching cna do the rest, even if the other team is hitting too…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m going to play the game guess the lineup I’d like versus the way it will be:

I’d like
    Carpenter-3B
    O’ Neill-RF
    Goldschmidt-1B
    Ozuna_LF
    Dejong-SS
    Molina-C
    Wong-2B
    Bader-CF

I’ll guess the actual lineup:

Carp-3B
    Goldschmidt-1B
    Dejong-SS
    Ozuna_LF
    Molina-C
    Fowler-RF
    Wong-2B
    Bader-CF

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you are speaking of Dexter Fowler….. I’d rather have Ricky Fowler starting in RF.

Yes, “William” is Fowler’s real first name. And if I were him, after last year’s cankor sore of a campaign, I’d be looking to change my name. I actually like the name “Dexter” much more than I do “William”, but Fowler has now tarnished the name “Dexter”. If I were William Fowler under these present circumstances, I would probably lose both the “Dexter and the “William”, and go with something along the lines of “Silas”……yes, Silas Fowler…..the name alone probably elevates his game immeasurably. I ended up just having one daughter, but if I had ever brought a bouncing baby boy into this joyous world, I was going to name him either “Nick” or “Maximus” to help ensure his toughness.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I just hope we don’t strikeout about a dozen times in this opening game. Them there strikeouts just sicken me.

“I can remember a time when it was embarrassing to strikeout”
    Chris Welsh
    Announcer
    Cincinnati Reds

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well pugsleyaddams, I do wish I could take tomorrow off or leave early. I guess I could but I only have so much sick time and it has to last the year. so I have to be responsible. I will record it however and avoid any baseball scores so it seems live to me. I am looking forward to it though. hopefully we can start the season off right.

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From a confidence factor regarding the starting staff coming out of Florida, really high on and like where Flaherty, Hudson, and Wacha enter the season.

Would be nice start to get 3 out of 4 on the road to open the season.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

It’s opening day!! Here’s looking forward to a great 2019 season for our Cards. I’m also looking forward to some great in game discussion with y’all each day!

Let’s play ball!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Opening Day should be a national holiday.

null

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    4. Marcell Ozuna (R) LF
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Dexter Fowler (S) RF
    7. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    9. Miles Mikolas (R) P

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

C27 picked the exact lineup, looks like!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I am meaning my coaching boss at the amish restaurant at 1:00. Hoping to be home by 2:10 for the first pitch.

Baseball is back, that’s a good thing!

I am calling this one 7-3 St. Louis with a ringing dinger by Ozuna as the big blow.

r/Rat

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there anything proven for batting 2nd rather than 3rd? It seems the plate appearances difference would be miniscule? Not really liking Goldschmidt batting 2nd. Maybe Schildt is thinking Carp might get better pitches/ more fastballs?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years