StL 2019 Reg Season Opener – at MIL, Thu 3/28

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Reg Season Opener – at MIL, Thu 3/28

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

(I am curious about the two ties, but too busy to look them up.)

Well we had four of them in exhibition play. Back in the good old days, it probably took them a week or two into the regular season to get get things back to normal…..hence the tie games. Baseball needs to lose the tie game thing in exhibition ball. The vast majority of fans do not want to attend professional games where an eventual victor is not declared…..exhibition or not. Unless Mother Nature butts in, any and all tie games should result in the fans receiving a full and unequivocal refund. And I won’t even get into Buddy Selig declaring that All Star game a tie……he should have been fired on the spot!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In spring training, ties are often declared when teams run out of pitchers who are scheduled to throw that day. No sense making someone throw more pitches than planned and risk injury, so the logic goes… In the regular season, this is why the minors have instituted the runner on second base rule in extra innings.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I thought the runner on second was to shorten game times

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, that is the primary reason.

1982 willie
    Participant

I don’t personally see the problem with a tie especially in spring training games. the score of the games mean nothing, in fact I would like to see them do away with the scoring in spring training far as the audience goes. obviously the coaches can keep track to have their stats but outside of that they aren’t necessary. people are too competitive. far as ties in regular season. I don’t have a problem with them either. you should try to have a winner but in a 162 game schedule, a tie isn’t that big of a deal. if you were giving me a choice, a tie game vs a stupid rule borrowed from kids leagues like putting a runner automatically at second leading off an inning, ill take the tie any day. that rule makes some sense with kids games cause they may have school and parents have work, its these players jobs to play these games, they don’t have school, and the games go on whether there are fifty thousand or one thousand people at the park, so people are free to leave anytime. people tend to leave early anyway to just avoid traffic or whatever.

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.