2019 MLB Awards

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 MLB Awards

This topic contains 64 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Ratsbuddy Ratsbuddy 3 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Platinum includes a fan popularity vote component so the winner is unpredictable. I would respect it far more if they gave it to the top SDI scorer. Makes too much sense, though. Plus Rawlings wants all the visits to their website for voting and all the fan/media talk, giving their brand more visibility.

I have learned in my research that Rawlings does not even tell SABR how they pick the GG finalists. The assumption is that they are the top coach/manager vote getters but only Rawlings knows for sure.

In the case of Soto, his personality should not matter. Plain and simple, his defensive metrics were worse in left field than Ozuna. That is a prime example why I would change the process to use the SDI to pick the finalists and only let the managers and coaches vote for the real top three at each position, instead of all players. However, Rawlings would have to want to change and there is no indication they are open to it. SABR has no say in the matter. It is a one-way street. They provide the SDIs and that is it.

I will say that overall, the winners are pretty representative and the SDIs confirm just how good the Cards are up the middle.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Soto is a jerk but I didn’t mean that should influence the vote; however, I don’t think that he looked like a Gold Glover at anytime that I saw him this season. Since the GG has become known as a symbol of excellence it may be about time that Rawlings gives some insight into their selections other than SDI.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards only lead the league in fielding…..and nearly were shut out in the winners department. Go figure. The number of finalists means next to nothing, as nobody remembers them anyway. If this 2019 Cardinal squad were playing in LA, NY or Chicago, we’d be heralding two or three GG victors right now. Play ball!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Assuming Ozuna leaves, and possibly Fowler sees less playing time next year, our defense could get even better. This is saying we are replacing both with our rookies, which all seem like plus defenders.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Winner to be announced November 12.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No Cardinals here.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian…do you think Shildt wins it?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have no idea, but my gut says no. I’ll guess that Shildt comes in second. Milwaukee being just a wild card and their late stumble may hurt Counsell’s chances as it would have been fresh on voters minds. Snitker may win because he has been at it longer, winning the division two years in a row. The Braves have shown progress every year since he took over. Then again, Snitker won last year (and Counsell was second), so would they spread it around? My thought was that Shildt may get fewer votes because this was his first full season and his track record is shorter than the others. Also it is worth noting that voting occurred before the playoffs.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think that Shildt wins because of the Cardinals sweeping the Cubs in Chicago at the end of the season and winning the Central. Baseball writers are a National group and sweeping the Cubs was a big deal for them.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

These annual awards don’t do much for me due to their subjective nature — so much in the eye of the beholder. I’ve always thought that element could drive a person nuts as a world class competitor in some of the Olympic sports. Anyway, I believe Counsell will win the manager award. It’s really a close call though, and I could easily see any one of the three winning it.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Kolten Wong picks up another award as the best defensive 2B in the entire MLB as named Wilson.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well done by Kolten. He’s certainly been a major boon to the defense the last couple of years.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, regarding Paul Dejong:

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<stlcard25 wrote:

Well done by Kolten. He’s certainly been a major boon to the defense the last couple of years.>

Agree 100% but it also makes me wonder why from time to time we see post of people wanting to trade him or add him into a group to trade for one player or another. When you develop a player who excels year after year, why does somebody want to get rid of him in hopes of getting someone else? Oh well, some things in life still mystify me……LOL

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shinier new toys elsewhere. The Cards have arguably the best all-purpose middle infield in MLB – on decent contracts – in Wong and DeJong. The team clearly needs upgrades at other positions, yet when some fans hear that Francisco Lindor might become available, for example, they devise roster gymnastics scenarios that in the end would not necessarily make the Cardinals better – at least in trade scenarios that are realistic.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“roster gymnastics” I need to remember that :). Some folks here really get into the topic on trade and acquisitions. To each his own…. they are still avid Cardinal fans.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed. We have a special thread entirely for anyone’s trade and free agent ideas and I try not to be a wet blanket. But it makes no sense to me to turn the current roster upside down to acquire another shortstop (Lindor) – or to jettison the Cards’ best player in 2019 (per bWAR) in Wong.

In fact, Wong and DeJong were no. 1 and 2 among Cardinals position players in WAR. Other positions need help. Leave 2B and SS alone is my take. To change my mind, it would take an unrealistically ridiculous trade tilted in the Cards’ favor for either Wong or DeJong to move out.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is why I have never bought into the “sell when their value is high” theory.

Uh, if their value is so high then why would a team that intends to compete every year want want to sell them? That sounds like what a tanking team would do.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

It’s the “ong” factor.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

(Wr)ong?

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are some theories that it is better to sell one year too early rather than one year too late. By trading a player while his value is high, the hope is that they gave the team several years of good production and then nets the team something to sustain the team’s good record. Obviously, you don’t do that with the stars unless it looks like you can’t sign them. It is more for the ones that you have a relatively similar replacement.

Wong is 29 years old and finally put together a complete season like was expected of him for many year. 2 years ago was pretty similar but this year he hit more home runs and stole a bunch of bases. How much longer will he produce like this? I wouldn’t trade him unless I was overwhelmed with an upgrade somewhere.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not surprisingly, no Cardinals are among the NL’s top hitters.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Technically this is a milb award…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years