2019 MLB Awards

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 MLB Awards

This topic contains 60 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Euro Dandy Euro Dandy 16 hours, 18 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals will receive votes on Nov. 11th (Edman), Nov.12th (Shildt) and Nov. 13th (Flaherty), but none seriously amounting to anything significant on Nov. 14th. My dream for 2020 would be Flaherty and Hudson finishing 1-2 for the CY.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Pugs, no rookie of the year votes for Mr. Hudson?? No one else has a chance to win after Alonso’s season, but Hudson and Edman should get some votes. Great year and durability for both rookies!

Alonso will win ROY, but assuming health, Tatis will end up with a much higher career WAR.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great catch, CardsFanInChiTown! As somewhat of a consolation, I did mention Hudson finishing second in next year’s CY to our own Jack Rafe Flaherty.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Pugs, after 32 starts, it’s easy to forget he was a rookie!

Could I add a third to your 2020 CY prediction? How about the new Cards lefty hurler who goes by the name Matt Boyd, who sneaks past Hudson into the #2 spot due to his 250k’s….

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I didn’t realize Hudson was the league leader in BB’s, 4.4 per nine for 86 on the season.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Dejong and Goldschmidt will win Gold Gloves. In fact, both stand a chance for the Platinum glove. Wong (if eligible) will finish second to ALbies.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wong (if eligible) will finish second to ALbies.

Why would that be? Wong has a significant lead on Albies in DRS (14 to 8), UZR/150 (3.6 to 1.8) and was first among 2B at 12.6 on the Sabr Defensive Index as of Aug 18. Albies is 10th in the NL in the same metric. SDI is actually a part of the Gold Glove selection process. I don’t see much of a reason that Wong won’t win the GG.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I hate the whole “finalists” creating fake suspense thing. Just announce the darned winners, please…

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson’s walk rate was high at 4.4 per nine. But I think 2 or 3 of those BB’s came in the first or second inning of games. For the rest of the game it was ground out after ground out after ground out ………

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If only they would do away with the awards altogether. I have never had any interest in individual awards. The teams are more important to me. As the old cliche goes, the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back of the jersey.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Molina, Goldschmidt, Wong & DeJong.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those who care about top three finishers, the Cards did well.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Plus Harrison Bader

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How many Gold Glove winners will we have? Also, I was thinking Bader didn’t get enough games to qualify, but apparently he did.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good to see some recognition of the good defense this year. Wong should be a shoo-in, Molina seems to find ways to win, and I’d probably choose Goldy. I’d guess Bader may have a good shot, since voters like to give achievement awards for these.

I’ll say Wong, Yadi and Bader win.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

I think only Wong will win.

Goldschmidt likely gets beat out by Rizzo, although Freeman should be in there imo.

Yadi likely bows out to Realmuto.

DeJong likely loses to Story, although all three are great choices at SS. Baez, Rojas (MIA), and Iglesias (CIN) are right there with them too. Good year for NL SS defense.

Cain and Robles smash Bader in DRS, but he doubles their UZR/150s. I think Cain wins one finally. Robles will win quite a few before its over.

I didn’t count Flaherty since I have no idea how they would compare pitching defense.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mark Simon, formerly of ESPN and now with The Athletic, uses an analysis of the numbers to say who “should” win the Gold Gloves. His assessment has Wong being the only Cardinal deserving. The actual winners will be announced tonight at 6 pm CT.

https://theathletic.com/1342336/2019/11/01/who-should-win-the-gold-glove-awards-this-year-a-look-at-the-games-best-defensive-players-by-the-numbers/

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Good job Kolten, well deserving!

Now shorten that stroke, make more contact, and get that average up over .300 in 2020.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Good writeup on SDI Brian. It brings me a bit more understanding but I am still not a believer – blame it on age and stubbornness….LOL

What is your best guess for Platinum As I read it Kolten could be in the running but Arenado will probably be the winner.

Soto, the jerk, being a finalist makes the whole program suspect.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years