2019 International Signing Period

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 International Signing Period

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Tatis signed in 2015, the year before our splurge. He actually signed with the White Sox and was traded to the Padres for James Shields. 0.o Now the White Sox have signed his younger brother.

Participant

Free

Participant

Free

Participant

Free

Kind of typical of cubs signing top international prospects and cards as normal go after low hanging fruit. This front office is a joke!

Participant

Free

Participant

Free

Participant

Free

Cardinals aren’t linked to any of MLB Pipeline’s Top 30 International Prospects.

The Mozeliak way

Participant

Free

Nunez was not a top 30 international prospect.

Baseball America would disagree.
    # 26

Everybody was amazed the Cardinals signed him for only $300k. Everybody.

Participant

Paid - Annual

10 pitchers out of 23

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How can anyone seriously assert that a given team did not scout a particular player – who is in another country? Many teams scout many players, but the media surely does not report every combination. And when they do, sometimes they are wrong – because they are rumors, not facts. Sometimes forgotten is the reality that each player signs with only one of the 30 teams. Quite the stretch to criticize.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thank you for the info on Nunez, C2016. I had referred to MLB Pipeline, which did not list Nunez.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=int

My strong guess as to why the Cards could get Nunez is that they had invested a long time in advance in building the relationship – and that was more important to the player than money. Some fans expect all these kids will change signing allegiance for more cash, but it doesn’t seem to work that way in some significant number of cases. This was hinted at in the Rains story, as well.

P.S. You are conflicting yourself. If the “Mo way” is to not sign top 30 prospects, you just showed that he did last year. I imagine Reyes and Carlos Martinez were, too, among others, but to be honest, I don’t track these lists closely.

A side point. I wonder if anyone has audited these international top 30s over time to see hit and miss rates. My guess is that the success rate would be worse than the first round of the domestic draft.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would guess any top 30 list would have a much higher failure rate. Imagine drafting only junior high schoolers. Too many years for things to go wrong like injuries and growing into a bigger body. Also, any domestic comparison from drafting high schoolers versus college players is a fair comp. The ceiling may be higher on more high schoolers, but the floor is safer when drafting college players.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Do their signing amounts ever become public? Or at least the current remaining cap space?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those attaching great significance to international prospect rankings, Baseball America explains why they stopped preparing them.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/why-were-not-ranking-the-top-july-2-prospects/

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

Do their signing amounts ever become public? Or at least the current remaining cap space?

A1: Some amounts trickle out via the media, but nowhere near all.
    A2: That is not disclosed publicly.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Posted this article last night…

Participant

Free

This is typical MO, signing that many to see if throwing crap against the wall maybe he will get lucky ….

Personally I will take quality over quantity ANYtime.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My point is that the Cardinals play by the same rules as everyone else.

If it takes money to get the player then spend it. It it takes relationships then build them.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some day perhaps one of Brian’s trips will take him to the Dominican for some hard hitting prospect coverage that we can trust. That would be interesting!

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dominican Republic would be great to see, but not in the foreseeable future.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is typical MO, signing that many to see if throwing crap against the wall maybe he will get lucky ….

Personally I will take quality over quantity ANYtime.

You forgot to write “STUPID” in all caps in your post. It’s kind of your hallmark. Are we sure this isn’t an onyxgem imposter?

Also, can’t it be quality and quantity? I’m sure the Cards are higher than random prospect raters on many of the guys that they signed.

Participant

Free

How can anyone seriously assert that a given team did not scout a particular player – who is in another country?

I wasn’t asserting anything. I am simply perplexed how the Cardinals have not built more relationships and connections especially with players who once played for your organization. We’re not talking about a random kid in the Dominican Republic. We’re talking about a kid who is the son of a former player who played for your team. Saying the Cardinals are behind a large number of MLB teams in the international market isn’t a stretch and seeing players where the Cardinals should have connections with the family sign with different teams is annoying.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BHC, I’ve got nothing to base this on so it’s just a question but is it possible that Tatis Sr’s time in St Louis made his connection to the team more of a negative than a positive?

Participant

Free

stlcard25, that’s a good question and I don’t know. I do know they had Senior on the Cardinals broadcast for an interview a few weeks ago. I wish I could remember the game. It may have been the April 23 game which was the 20th anniversary of his 2 grand slam game.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, I’ve been invited to the Dominican, but had hoped to resurrect my college Spanish first. Reading is ok, but listening and speaking is a challenge. At this point, I think I just need to wing it.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years