2019 International Signing Period

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 International Signing Period

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cardinals aren’t linked to any of MLB Pipeline’s Top 30 International Prospects. However, I’m still excited to see what players Mo and the team can scrape off the sides and bottom of the barrel.

https://www.mlb.com/news/international-prospect-signings-july-2-2019?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Baseball America has the Cardinals linked to a kid named Jeremy Rivas. They’ll probably update throughout the day. I don’t expect a lot of action from the Cardinals considering they’re not linked to any of the top players.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-international-signings-tracker/#Cardinals

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be fairly surprised if the Cards are quiet this J2 period, since they’re actually allowed to spend their money now. Of course, maybe they don’t think much of the players available but that would also be a surprise.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

They’ve got the money but all the high bonus guys are already staked to other teams. Reportedly the Cardinals made a big offer for Jasson Dominguez but he signed with the Yankees for just over $5 million.

The thing with the international signing period is many of these kids already have agreements with MLB teams since they were 13-14 years old.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, I read that they were interested in Dominguez, too. Hard to overcome the lifelong fandom when the money is about the same.

BHC, it’s probably not a secret that scouting internationally is well behind the curve of domestic scouting. A question for you (or anyone else I guess)…how far behind is it? You think it’s similar to US scouting 10 years ago in terms of resources and eyes on these guys? 20? 50 years ago?

It does seem like more slip through the cracks internationally than in the US to sign for small bonuses, and a more of the top international prospects don’t pan out than the US guys. Or at least that’s my perception.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

My biggest question is why don’t the Cardinals get more involved in the top end international talent? We are missing out on some quality talent.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

This is not the most positive review on the Cardinals international scouting.

“People are afraid of missing out on talent,” Rodriguez said. “You don’t want to miss out on the next big thing.”

Changing landscape, competition forcing Cardinals international scouts to evaluate players as young as 13 years old

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The firm of the right-labourer Juan Gerardo Salas,🙌🤩

Originally from Caderyta, Nuevo León becomes part of the ranks of @cardenales of St. Louis; graduated from the Acereros de Monclova development system at the Gerardo Benavides Luna Academy💪⚾

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My biggest question is why don’t the Cardinals get more involved in the top end international talent? We are missing out on some quality talent.

Good question Forsch. I have asked the same question and the answer is usually something like “its complicated.”

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Forsch and gscottar, if you haven’t read the Rob Rains article I posted above I suggest you do so because it addresses you’re questions.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At first glance, the Yankees have exceeded their pool on 2 players. Perhaps they traded for cap room like they did for Voit? What if you don’t use all of last years spending allotment, or trade space? It surely can’t be carried over.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Baseball America had the names earlier in their tracker but here’s an MLB article about the rumored pair from Venezuela.

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/cardinals-international-signings

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forsch and gscottar, if you haven’t read the Rob Rains article I posted above I suggest you do so because it addresses you’re questions.

That article is interesting but the bottom line is the Cardinals play by the same rules as everyone else.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

That article is interesting but the bottom line is the Cardinals play by the same rules as everyone else.

Which is why certain people in the Cardinals organization want the rules to change.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It appears the Cubs have signed two players rated in the Top 10. This is how teams restock their farm system when they have to draft low in the domestic draft.

From MLB Trade Rumors:

Ronnier Quintero, C, Cubs: Occupying the #6 spot on the boards of both Fangraphs and MLB.com, Quintero will follow Willson Contreras from Venezuela to the Chicago organization. The Cubbies also have a deal with fellow top-ten-ish prospect Kevin Made, a shortstop. Sanchez puts the Quintero deal at $3MM and Made’s mark at $1.7MM. Another Venezuelan backstop, Brayan Altuve, will cost the Cubs another million bucks, seemingly setting up the organization for a search for some added pool money.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nunez was not a top 30 international prospect. Neither was Oscar Taveras.

P.S. I’d love it too if the Cards got a bunch the top guys, but the uncertainty level with these 16-year olds is extremely high.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

We shoot for one diamond per decade out of the rough!

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I understand that there are diamonds that can be found from the non-elite. However, there are teams like the Cubs, Braves, Yankees and Rangers that seem to always come up with international signings.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Definitely under the old rules, the Cards were conservative in their spending. The one year they overspent, they haven’t got much from it yet. I wonder if the foothold those other teams got when the limits were not as firm helped them establish better relationships and a better reputation.

The bottom line is how many of these young men make the majors and become contributors. The Cards are surely nowhere near the top as they were in drafting domestically.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What happened to Yolbert Sanchez? I don’t se him on any top 30 lists, or see that he signed.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Seeing another Tatis kid sign with the White Sox irks me. Gotta admit I can’t be positive about that. The kids’ father once played for the Cardinals and we don’t even manage to recruit/scout the children?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Were we ever in the Tatis Jr mix? Seems like that would have the year of our overspending, 2016. BUt I don’t remember anyone but the Padres being linked to him.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.