2018 Reg Seas Game #70 – at Phillies – Mon 6/18

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #70 – at Phillies – Mon 6/18

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Catch it, you’re a hero, miss it you’re a goat. He missed it. But can’t fault him too much…gotta go for the win when you’re away in late innings. Fun game to watch even with the loss.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

That was tongue-in-cheek about Holland..:)

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager, losing that way after all that fight sucked. Yeah it was exciting but it’s still a loss and that matters.

Doesnt help that my power’s been out since 1 ET so it’s wicked hot in my place and I’m not a fan of losing all my food to defrost…so I’m a bit testy anyway. Plus I’m from PA so I naturally hate Philadelphia. Lol

Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cardinals put up that kind of fight every night we will be in it to the the end.

And the bullpen hasn’t looked all that terrible as of late. Outside that last pitch by Bowman the pen has started to look pretty good. Ben is and tuivalala May have been urned a corner. Mayer’s heat tonight was like spring training. Heck even Cecil’s last outing was something to build on

Add that t Hicks and Norris and Evevn Fomber looking very good and you have a solid little pen. Bowman before that last pitch before tonight wasn’t bad either. Boland returning may throw a wrench in it but we will see.

After tonight I kind of want to send down Bowman and keep up Mayer’s with how he tuned it on. Pitched like a guy who didn’t want to get sent down for Holland

Yadi breaking out Carp with mor hits and Pham going. Even Munozs hustle and Garcia and Wong helped out

I’d rather go to bed with a win but this type of game feels like the type the team can still be proud of and could lead to the confidence they need for all these away games

Go Cards!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham and Martinez sucked by Striking out in clutch ABs and a damn single could have scored one or two runs and made the extra innings unnecessary. Glad Pham gave the Cards the lead but the 3 Ks were killers.As for a 12 game hitting streak of his…it sure hadn’t changed the teams fortunes had it?

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep that sucked. Wasting big hits by Wong and Pham sucked. Intentionally walking the winning run sucked. Blown saves suck.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It would have sucked more if they hadn’t fought back and gave in. So on the spectrum of sucking I think there is room for seeing the silver lining.

Sorry about the AC. Mines been cutting in and out but it’s holding at the moment for sleepy time

Participant

Paid - Annual

Find all the negative you want. It isn’t going to change my viewpoint at all. And your opinions are just as tinted as mine may seem to you.

You can all play armchair and attack with all that you want to justify opinions with hindsight but it won’t change the fact that you wouldn’t be talking about that intentional walk positively if Ozuna caught that ball. You’d just cry about strikeouts and luck

A 12 game hitting streak is never a bad thing. Maybe instead of attacking Pham you should attack someone else. Pham was clutch to give us the lead after he failed the time before.

If you can’t enjoy the game or the players unless they hit a HRevery time and don’t make any mistake ever you will forever be disappointed. If you can’t find ways to enjoy baseball without losing or mistakes made you shouldn’t watch baseball.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

You are right jager, it could’ve sucked a lot more. LOL. It was a fun game except for all the stuff that wasn’t fun, like losing and striking out too many times to keep up with. Situational hitting is a lost art. To me, the silver lining is the pen, in spite of the blown save tonight. It’s encouraging to see how they’ve (several of them at that) done the last two nights. If we’re going to compete for the wild card, they’ve got to keep making progress. I think we might see that.

Participant

Free

Jager:

Thanks for telling us how we should think and act. That scary good bullpen wasn’t so much tonight. Bowman and the scary good boys blew another one. We’d be in first place if the bullpen was any good.

But Hey…Go Cards!!

Participant

Free

I think Ozuna would’ve misplayed it no matter what.

Who cares if it was an exciting game or not. Haven’t some of you had enough of this crap the past 2 plus seasons?

Participant

Free

19 strikeouts. How on earth does the hitting coach still have a job? Or any of them for that matter. That isn’t an anomaly it’s a damn trend that keeps getting worse. Pitchers with plus 6 ERAs make them look foolish at the plate. Last night’s Phillies start had an ERA well over 4.00 and gives up 2 over 7.1 strong innings. If not for a pass ball they win in regulation. Again 19 Ks, just let that sink in for a moment. 30 outs and 19 of them were strikeouts (63.3%). And Mo wants patience, SMH.

Participant

Free

The Phil kept trying to give us this game, but the Birds just didn’t want to win it/

Good to see Wong get a huge hit maybe that will get him going.
    Pham had a big extra inning HR.
    Meyers was very good in relief.

Bad
    Way to many Strike outs with RISP.
    BOwman still blows
    Ozuna had a 4% chance to catch the ball, love the hustle but that is not the spot where you for flailing for a sinking line drive.
    19 strike outs!
    giving IBB to the winning run was just dumb

Over all was nice to see the cards come back, but half those runs were a gift by the Phils in the 9th..

Cards have been in most likely their easiest stretch of the year and they have a losing record, that isn’t good.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by AvatarOnyxgem.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna has to keep the ball in front of him no matter what. All these guys are looking to make the highlights. Well he certainly made the game highlights. That was an especially lousy way to lose a game.

All those Ks…. its getting tough to watch.

Participant

Free

Ahhh….but remember all those Sabremetricians who tell you it doesn’t matter which way you make an out???!!!

It’s almost like the concept of WAR, where the size of the error term is as big as the expected value, yet everyone takes it as gospel!!!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager-dont even try and tell me what and how to watch and like baseball.I have been watching baseball probably before you where in diapers.I am damn disappointed at seeing a comeback wasted but i am more disgusted by the continued failure of clutch hitting.Your boy Pham has a RISP for the year of .232.....not exactly a worldbeater.or all the hype by Phammites he is just a ordinary guy who played way over his head last season and is getting bit by reality this season.The sooner he is gone the better IMHO.If you dislike my opinion thats your perogative.But don`t try and tell ever try to tell me what to do.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Tough to lose. It seemed like Ozuna made a poor read on that ball hit by Altherr, or got a bad jump or something. Seems like he hesitated a bit, then tried to snag it just before it hit the ground, whereas had he just gone for it from the time it left the bat he could have made a fairly routine catch. I might be misjudging that though.

Bowman did not help matters. Like I constantly preach, the key to good pitching is command, and he did not have it. Threw way too many pitches out of the zone, especially missing high. His stuff is not good enough to entice hitters to swing at pitches out of the zone, so he needs to pound the edges of the zone and hopefully keep guys off balance. He could not do that, as he was too wild.

Gotta give kudos to Kolten Wong, getting that single off a tough lefty. You could see his approach was all business, as he looked confident, and was staring down the pitcher as he was getting in the box. I liked that determined look he had – it was like “You are not going to get the better of me”.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mayers + Tuivalala + Norris

4inn pitched 4 K’s, 3 Walks (too much) BUT no hits allowed

I think that is a step in the right direction.

Not to mention that Mikolas was pretty great 2-4

So basically, 2-9 we had great pitching…and 2/3 of the 10th even

Bowman gave up a bloop single and then they made a tactical decision to IBB Santana…Bowman and Molina agreed it seemed…and Bowman’s history of getting groundballs seems to say it was a good decision

he then K’s the next guy…and the low hitting Altherr hits an in between ball that Ozuna misses by about 6 inches…that scoots behind him and is the difference

Should Ozuna have NOT tried to win the game? And instead just let it fall in and give up the lead. You would be crucifying him for being LAZY if he did that

The people that want to make this team and management and coaching and players out to be bad can find anything and sculpt it to their bias

Looking on the bright side is not bias….finding good in the bad of the game is not bias…finding value and fun in a loss is not bias…

Bias is turning every player and decision into only a positive or negative…if they lose everything sucks…if they win then they are good…and for those who are bias against whatever a win is “luck” or accident or whatever to justify their angst

Winning or losing is a part of the game…a 1 or a 0…that is true…but as this game is a collection of millions of positive and negative decisions and plays weighing any one or series of one is just not in line with the game…why do you think averages and stats are such a part of the game? If you treat and react to everything as if it is either batting 1.000 or 0.00 and pitching is either perfect games or infinite ERAs then you dont fundamentally understand baseball…

also i find it hilarious that Nate shows up (just as was predicted by Brian) to once again make an all or nothing statement (as predicted)

If you didnt see progress from the bullpen or pitching last night because we got a loss with one out to go and a rare 1 bad inning by Mikolas then why watch the games? Just follow it the following day in your fantasy leagues and box scores.

If the only thing that matters is WINS and LOSSES in your enjoyment of the game then there is no point in watching

I will continue to say my opinions here whether individuals like them or not

And if supporting the team and looking forward to watching the games and finding joy even in losses is something to be attacked then go ahead…but you only make me feel more secure about my feelings and only make me want to post MORE…

Im sorry if i can find joy in wins and losses and that makes you mad because it threatens your nastiness, but that wont ruin my love for this team

and before you can all cry…rose colored lenses or whatever BS blind optimism or “reality vs fantasy” nonsense that you so desperately want to type…I see the negative things…i post about them…i get frustrated too…i prefer wins to losses, i want poor play rectified and continued failures corrected or changes made… i post bad things that happen and good things..i dont live on ONE side of the discussion, i am optimistic because i am a fan of the team and i dont wish them to do poorly nor want them to just to justify my frustration…and i dont act accordingly…i eat crow when i am wrong…i also admit i am an optimist…i dont see the others who attack me doing any of that

but there are plenty of people who do who only post negative things or come out of the woods to point out negative…whose glasses are truly tinted? who is living in a fantasy? and who is blinded by their negativity?

If you dont like my posts I dont care…but that doesnt mean i will stop nor that i will feel obliged to speak on other people’s comments when i want to

The negative first people dont get more rights to post here than the “optimists” even if i am in the minority. I dont care how much negativity is out there, i will and have been a member of this forum longer than most people and have dealt with it from the beginning…i havent been worn down EVER and feel better because of it

You can be whatever kind of fan you want! I mean that. Because that is why i am the way i am, but that doesnt mean i cant comment on how you are acting, just like how so many people attack me regularly.

I only question what being a fan means to you, to me this game and this team has to do with happiness and joy, and i find ways to “love” this sports and team which dont include tearing down people who want to be optimistic. If that is where your joy comes from, go for it. But dont think I have to respect it or not talk about it.

bye bye

and yes and EVERY TIME and EVERY GAME and for EVERY player

GO CARDS!

Participant

Paid - Annual

looking at the teams RISP and K `s this season

RISP Games Strikeouts
    Pham .222 65 65
    Gyorko .367 54 39
    Bader .111 55 38
    Carpenter .190 65 69
    DeJong .243 41 50
    Fowler .188 58 47
    Ozuna .314 66 50
    JMartinez .323 64 37
    Molina .263 42 23
    Wong .139 64 32
    Munoz .208 37 30
    Kelly .111 12 6
    Pena .111 30 23
    G.Garcia .294 52 18
    O`Neill .111 16 18
    Voit .333 8 4

Participant

Free

Jager, Ozuna had a 4% chance to catch that ball, 4! that is not the time to play hero, just keep ball in front of you and see if you can go win it the next inning….4% means he had next to ZERO chance of catching that ball.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager- i try and be as optimistic as possible.As a matter of fact i get ripped on the STL today board for being a “apologist and Homer” for the FO and management.I get disgusted by the half-ass play and stupid mistakes by all the players.I have been following the Cards since the early 60`s and have gotten much enjoyment and cheer from the team.I have seen the game change and sometimes i wonder if its better or worse overall.One fact is standing out more and more In my opinion…….Baseball powers that be want more exciting games(more Homeruns,more scoring,etc) to appeal to a wider fanbase.Right now most people think of baseball as a slow boring game watched by old men and statweenies.Homeruns bring the fans in and watching and hoping for your team to hit the game-winning Homerun is worth waiting for and looking past the rising strikeout totals.Baseball purists are surely disgusted by this but it is what it is now.Owners want the tickets to sell and Homeruns help do that .Sorry but igot off course there for a minute.
    I do appreciate yor opinions and although i dont always agree i do read them.I have had many various opinions of players who wore the Cards uniform over the years..some good,some bad,some i really disliked and some i hated to see get traded or leave in Free agency. My favorites players were Stan The Man,Bob Gibson ,Ken Boyer and Simba. I hated seeing Gibby struggle thru his last couple of years and Ken Boyer get traded to the damn Mets for Charley Smith.Whitey trading Simba ticked me off.THe WS title was great in 82 but i think it could have happened with Simba catching instead of Porter.There have been some guys i hated to see in the uniform......Bob Horner....product of the launching pad,Sixto Lezcano-overrated and one of Whiteys mistakes.The Catcher from the Athletics who gave the finger to the fans Mike Heath ?)Tommy Pham..He lost me when he publicly showed his ass by ripping the same organization that stood with him for 10 years thru all the injuries and continued to give him a chance.He lost me even more when e refuses ti acceopt the blame for his baserunning blunders.I don`t care for that kind of nonsense.So anyway i hope no hard feelings are taken.I admit i do get hot under the collar sometimes.

Participant

I shouldn’t but I will. Jager bias is bias positive or negative. Decisions affect game results. Decision #1 why bring in Norris for the 9th? Was questioned on the radio broadcast. The bottom of the order was up so why not bring Bowman then? I know I know if you don’t hold them there you lose. If you don’t have reliever than can be effective pitching to the bottom of the order then you have big problems. Matheny misused Norris there. Decision #2 why walk Santana? He was the winning run and you put on for them. Decision #3 Ozuna needs to get in front at that ball…why you ask because a tie game is still a winnable game.

Participant

Free

Bw52

Participant

Pham and Martinez sucked by Striking out in clutch ABs and a damn single could have scored one or two runs and made the extra innings unnecessary. Glad Pham gave the Cards the lead but the 3 Ks were killers.As for a 12 game hitting streak of his…it sure hadn’t changed the teams fortunes had it?

Don’t forget Bader in that. He also struck out with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out in the 9th.

Participant

Free

K %

O`Neill 43.9
    Voit 30.8
    DeJong 29.2
    Munoz 26.8
    Pena 26.4
    Bader 26.2
    Carpenter 25.0
    Pham 24.1
    Fowler 21.1
    Kelly 20.7
    G.Garcia 20.2
    Ozuna 18.1
    Wong 17.0
    Molina 13.8
    JMartinez 13.7

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Man, how nice would it be if Martinez was even a slightly below average 1B? His contact skills are elite and I’d love to keep him around so long as he’s cheap but the defense is just so bad. I don’t think anyone would value the bat fairly in a trade, either, so it’s likely he’s a Cardinal for a while (which is ok if he’s a platoon/PH guy, the offense can produce without him or the rest of the defense was elite). Unfortunately, none of said parenthetical citations are true for the current Birds.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years