2018 Reg Seas Game #46 – vs. Royals – Tue 5/22

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #46 – vs. Royals – Tue 5/22

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh Oh! Holland has put Royals on all 3 bases without securing a single out. Jon Jay up……Jay plates 2 and this one is over! I hate getting on our players, but Holland and Fowler have been so darn awful for so darn long…….that the time has come to do something. What I don’t know, but Mo & Co. have to act in some reasonable action.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Holland gives up two hits and a walk to load the bases with no outs. Then gives up a single to salt away the game before ceding to Brebbia without getting a single out. Hope Mr Holland is saving that $14 million because he’s pitching himself right out of the majors for his next “deal.”

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

This was a zero leverage situation and Holland still sucked.

Single
    Single
    Walk
    Single (2 runs scored)

All on 14 pitches. It very well might be time to release him. You can’t really afford to have a seven man pen when one is a complete head case and can’t even get an out.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know what Holland did in the off season this past year, but it must have been an absolute blast. Before shelling out 14 Mil to a guy, these are the things your team have to have done….and most likely the Cards did not. Investigate investigate investigate……before investing!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The games to pitch Holland in are the 9-2 type games, win or lose. Let him do his damage then.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That second pitch to Munoz was like a half foot high and it was called a strike….but now he has another hit to his credit….this one of the infield variety and it’s 1st and 2nd with no outs. Munoz 4-4. Ah if not for giving up those runs in the top half of this frame.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Okay, can somebody refresh me on how the cubs did tonight?

Participant

Free

If you can’t pitch him in this kind of game why even have him on the team? This was a low (or even zero) level situation.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs lost 10-1 to Cleveland at Wrigley.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I mean, why cant Fowler and Holland and Wong be sent down to Memphis for a couple of weeks? Somebody said they would have to give their permission, is that true? They have to know how bad they are now, i’m not sure why they wouldn’t be willing to do that for the sake of their careers. And if they don’t, then…….

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH THEM?????

DFA them? I certainly wouldn’t DFA Wong. And if we do DFA them a lot of $$$ goes down the tubes, right?

r/Rat

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Thanks, Rats!

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Seven consecutive (and counting) batters have reached base against Holland. The man’s on a roll.

Participant

Free

I don’t believe Wong would have to give permission. He still has 3 option years I believe as well and doesn’t have enough service time to be able to decline being optioned. Fowler and Holland would both have to agree on being optioned because of service time.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Holland and Fowler have more than 5 years service time, so yes, they must consent to being sent down. Not sure if Wong has 5 years, but he’s out of options anyway (I think). So short of a DL stint or DFA, they must stay on the 25-man…and entitled to pay per their contract terms regardless.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Release ’em all, I say!

The Cards lose 5-1 to fall to 26-20 on the season.

Participant

Free

Euro, Wong is not out of options. He has just over 4 years of service time.

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-st-louis-cardinals/

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know what the breaking point is with Holland but I would think the front office would have to be considering their options. I doubt he will accept a trip to the minors, the front office does not want to embarrassingly have to eat $14M by releasing him, and MM can’t feel comfortable putting him into a game now under any circumstances. Something has to give. It is quite the dilemma.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, having our weakest hitter hit leadoff was a failed experiment. Let’s not see that again please.

Participant

Free

Not only is the $14,000,000 to Holland an apparent waste, we gave up a high draft pick to sign him. Ultimately the joke is on the FO.

Participant

Paid - Annual

ONeill 1-4 3 Ks.Probably sit s tomorrow.Matheny doesnt have the guts to sit Fowler again.MM will say something like Fowler showed signs of snapping out of his slump and O`Neill was looking like he needed a day off to gather himself.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My prediction is that Holland will hit the DL soon.

Participant

Free

I told everyone Fowler would start. He won’t start tomorrow don’t you worry. However why in the hell would you bat him leadoff? Carpenter went 0-4 but he was a the clear choice with Pham getting a night off.

Regardless we didn’t put up any offense. Need to win tomorrow and it looks good vs a guy we’ve never faced. lmao!

BTW Holland is the biggest piece of garbage! I’m so glad Dewitt went over Bowtie’s head and signed this clown.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

BHC. You’re right, I couldn’t remember details. Wong has been sent down three years, but I think only one year long enough to burn an option. Now that I think about it, last year was just for injury rehab I believe. So Wong should have two options left, but will go over 5 years this year anyway.

Participant

Free

Its not like I don’t feel bad for Holland, because I do. I hate having the feeling that every time he goes out there on the mound I have zero confidence he will get the job done. He needs to accept the fact he needs to approve an assignment to Memphis by being optioned to get get right. Get the kinks worked out in the minors. He’s doing himself and the team no favors. This picture of him and Willie speaks volumes. He’s clearly holding back tears here and looks defeated.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Very touching indeed. I read on another site where one of those professional lip readers reported that in this eye watering scene, Willie was indeed very consoling to the distraught Holland and was trying to lift his spirits by telling him that he thought Greg had a real future as an outfielder just like he used to be. Willie went on by reasserting Holland that with the way Fowler was playing that his shot would be coming sooner rather than later. The extended video footage in this sequence then shows Willie, with his right arm still wrapped around Holland’s shoulder, pointing at a sobbing Fowler sitting by himself at the very end of the bench, with his left arm….and both having a good laugh. Very very touching indeed.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years