2018 Reg Seas Game #22 – vs. Mets – Tue 4/24

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #22 – vs. Mets – Tue 4/24

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

You know we’re conceding when Bowman comes in. He should only pitch in the 7th when we’re up by 10. Which means never.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t mean to pile on a guy who’s in such a funk and quite possibly a bit injured, though he can’t be ailing too bad or he wouldn’t be trotting out there every night. But gosh darn it, my first thought upon hearing about the Ozuna acquisition was “WHY DIDN’T WE TAKE YELICH INSTEAD”???? We could have had him… we could have had him!

And two more quick thoughts…. Hicks finally giving up a run was just a mere “Hickup”….was bound to happen some day. But is the guy ever going to register a strikeout in a game? And is DeWhiffer ever going to get through a game without striking out at least once???

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Bring on the Reds!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Frustrating loss…really the kind of game where everything had to go just wrong for the Cards to lose, and they all did. Hopefully Bowman is the next with a “DL” stint because he’s a massive liability right now…doubly so since Matheny can’t figure out that he’s not any good.

Participant

Free

Not sure why MM keeps running Bowman out there he isn’t any good and putting him in an extra inning game is just giving up.

Participant

I turned the game off after the ninth (EDT here), the Cards had a great opportunity to win it, I thought they were going to win it and I’d go to bed happy (I hate the Mets). The strike out and Ozuna hitting into that DP was gut wrenching. Do we have Fowler part II here?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Right now I’d trade Fowler, Ozuna…heck throw in Wong and Bowman too for good measure, to Milwaukee for Yelich.

Participant

Brewer’s GM would hang up after saying he would have considered if we take Fowler out of the deal. Its really too early to dis Ozuna but he needs to do more from the 4-hole. Maybe he’ll heat up with the weather finally changing.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

are there stats on weather and cold that someone can look into? Id be curious on Ozuna in sub50-60 and over 60 weather

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Ozuna will come around. He’ll go on one of those hot streaks where he carries the club for awhile.

What will make or break the Cardinals season is pitching. Before the season I felt we had a so-so staff, with too many uncertainties to call us more than a .500 club.

There is some nice potential on the staff with all the young, hard throwing guys in the organization. If some of those guys gain consistency, which means throwing the ball where you need to most the time, we could have a strong staff. But just going out and wowing people with the gun reading does not necessarily translate into success.

And we need to see Mikolas pitch against someone other than the Reds to gauge his value. Thus far there is not enough evidence to make a determination – it’s the old adage the stat geeks love to say, “small sample size”.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yelich would have cost so much more than Ozuna, and I’m pretty confident that in the end they’ll have similar value this year and next. Ozuna will come around.

The big offensive issue now is the major slumps from Carpenter, Fowler and Wong. They’re all getting on base a bit but we need them all hitting .250 or better and we’ll see the offense start clicking. I’m just not certain that will happen.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With the looming logjam in the pen you have to wonder how long Bowman and Lyons will stick around. They are both liabilities right now.

Having said that I can’t blame the loss last night on Bowman. Weaver couldn’t get through five innings and then there was the debacle in the bottom of the 9th. I know JMart is a big RBI guy but why wasn’t he bunting? If he gets the bunt down they then walk Ozuna and we have Yadi up with the bases loaded. I like my chances there because Yadi is always clutch. I know it is Monday Morning QBing but Whitey Herzog must be shaking his head watching that. The game isn’t played the way it used to be.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wondered about that, too, gscottar. I wonder if Martinez can bunt. What he can do, he does very well. Otherwise, not so much.

Participant

Free

Anybody else worried about Hicks ability to flat out miss bats? His K numbers are not good at all with the stuff and movement he has.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think Hicks is an unfinished product. Some are so enamored with his velocity that expectations have become far too high.

Participant

Paid - Annual

We have a lot of young pitching and are going to have bumps in the road. Hopefully they learn from situations like last night. There are a few situations where a walk might be better than giving in to the hitter.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks ultimately needs more seasoning.we We’ve got to remember this is second full season.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

“I know JMart is a big RBI guy but why wasn’t he bunting? If he gets the bunt down they then walk Ozuna and we have Yadi up with the bases loaded. I like my chances there because Yadi is always clutch.”

Said this very same thing on the Cardinal Facebook page! Spot on.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Anybody else worried about Hicks ability to flat out miss bats? His K numbers are not good at all with the stuff and movement he has.

Hicks is not even on my radar of things that concern me with this club right now.
    Fowler hitting less than .200
    Carpenter refusing to fix his swing and go back to be a doubles hitter and not striking out so much.
    Matheny learning how to manage his bullpen.
    Mabry not being shown the door.
    DeJong striking out at least once a game.
    Wacha going 5 innings most outings
    are all issue that rank much higher on my concern list

Participant

Who else got a sinking feeling when the kid walked the batter in front of Cepedes? I turned to Investigative Discovery, couldn’t watch. When I turned back to the game, of course my fear had been realized.

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years