2018 Reg Seas Game #160 – at Cubs – Fri 9/28

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #160 – at Cubs – Fri 9/28

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After the Thursday travel day to Chicago, during which Colorado plays its Game 159…

1:20 p.m. Adam Wainwright vs. RHP Kyle Hendricks (13-11, 3.49 ERA) FOX Sports Midwest/ESPN/KMOX

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Here it is on Thursday and the Rockies have already opened up a 3-1 lead on the Phillies.

Do I assume, if the Rockies win the NL West and the Cards and Dodgers tie, that there is a one game playoff in St. Louis on Monday to determine which team would face the Brewers (or Cubs) in the Wild Card game?

r/Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

cubs with the early 2-0 third inning advantage vs Pittsburgh. With the way Lester has been dealing, you can chalk this one up in the win column for Chicago.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Now 3-0 mid-6th. Lester is working on a three-hitter.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cubs win 3-0 to take a one-game lead over the Brewers heading into the final weekend. The Cards are six back in the division and one game back of the Dodgers for the second wild card.

Kris Bryant is scheduled to return to the lineup Friday but Addison Russell will miss the entire series on administrative leave.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Didn’t know we are chasing the Dodgers now. Maybe it won’t happen, but just before you just have to keep winning.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Rockies have a one-game lead on LA. The best outcome for the Cards this weekend would be for them to win at least two more at Chicago than the Dodgers win at the Giants.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What happens if Colorado wins the division and the Cards tie the Dodgers?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Game 163 in St. Louis on Monday.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would love nothing better than to get Milwaukee for just one more game and then end up having our players douse the bubbly all over each other like they just did in our park. Has that ever occurred in the history of this great game where in the same week two teams each broke out the champagne on the other team’s field? I think not.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The reality is this…over the next 5 days, it’s likely that the Cards will need to go 4-1 at a minimum, and possibly 5-0 at Chicago, vs LA or Colorado and then at Milwaukee. That’s a tough road to sled. The pitching and hitting will both need to be hot at the same time.

Matt Carpenter went atomic the last time the Cards went to Chicago…we need something similar this time around.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When you are closing in on three division titles in three years, you can say this kind of thing.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully they’ll “expect” it when their pitching runs out of magic age dust and all those premium position players ask for premium pay. The cracks are starting to show this year and the Cubs could be a third place team as early as next year.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yep, you can say that. The Cubs have maintained the best record in the NL most of the season, and have been the most consistent club in the league since 2015. They have it going on after so many years of mediocrity. St. Louis has fallen into mediocrity, after a lot of years of “having it going on”.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Since Theo is a Checkbook GM I am sure the overrated tool will just go out and spend more cash for more players.When he builds a team without having a nearly unlimited checkbook let me know.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well we have gone over this many times but to reiterate the Cubs built their team by using all avenues. They tanked and got high draft picks, made some very shrewd one-sided trades, then opened up the checkbook to get high priced freed agents. They have made some mistakes along the way too but when your ownership is willing to spend at the level they are there will always be a certain margin of error. They can make mistakes on Heyward, Darvish, and Chatwood and still have room to make more additions. It is true however that within the next three years or so the noose is going to tighten some as all of these young position players are going to get paid. We will see how they handle that.

The Cardinals, on the other hand, have a smaller margin of error to make mistakes because they operate within a tighter budget, self imposed if you ask me. I really don’t think the Cubs have vast more resources than the Cardinals do but they just choose to spend it differently.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Having said all of that I hope the Brewers sweep the Tigers this weekend while we take two of three in Chicago. That will put a damper on the Cubbie spirits.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ICYMI for this thread: Cubs suck, we hope they go another 108 years between World Series.

As for this game:

Participant

I wish it was O’Neill not Martinez. I can see Martinez all tangled up in the ivy.

Participant

Free

Time for my first post on 2nd guessing Schildt. We were doing real well with Molina batting 2nd but he hasn’t been there for a while, now. Jose Martinez has had 222 PAs since Schildt took over and has a batting line of .319/362/.430/.792 which sounds fairly decent. However, he is striking out more than previously and driving in less runs, despite batting in a position where driving in runs are important. All this while starting very regularly. Maybe he needs to sit a little more often.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, if he’s got that profile, he’s probably a good #2 hitter. His power numbers are pretty down, which may be a function of the approach where he’s at, but he’s also struck out a lot and his base running and defense are not prime. I’d rather see O’Neill, myself, but Tyler isn’t exactly a contact guy so far.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would rather see O`Neill in RF for the Cubs series.Also I would rather see Patrick Wisdom at 3B instead of Gyorko.

Participant

Paid - Annual

According to Cots contracts Forbes valued the Cards at 1.9 Billion this year. Cubs valued 2.9 Billion.Hell of a difference IMHO.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why is Gyorko hitting 5th? Why is he even playing? He doesn’t give you hardly anything at all.

And yes, I know, he has a .764 OPBYN and a 1.252 WATR and a 2.34 BIPPA so he’s so valuable.

As far as I am concerned he’s about like Tyler Greene was.

r/Rat

Participant

Free

While that does look like a fair-to-good #2 hitter, with his defensive shortcomings and having O’Neill sitting on the bench, he needs to start a little less. I like Molina hitting 2nd.

Since Gyorko is not on a hot streak right now, I would also like to see Wisdom starting a little more.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years