2018 Reg Seas Game #16 – at Reds – Sun 4/15

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #16 – at Reds – Sun 4/15

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards hold on for a 3-2 win to complete the four-game sweep in Cincy. St. Louis improves to 9-7 on the season. Chicago is next – a more challenging test, though at least Rizzo is on the DL.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

These exciting finishes from the bullpen bring back memories of Izzy.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Someone explain to me why Barnhart wasn’t called out for running inside the basepath on his bunt? That was about as clearly obvious as it could be from what I could tell.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

“If Carpenter is injured (again/still), why can they not get him right? And if it is chronic, then what should his future be?”

I think he is (was?) a perfect AL trade candidate, where he can DH and spot start at the corners effectively…there are a handful of players in the mlb that can continue in the 3 hole for an extended period of time with this poor of a performance because you know its an anomaly, MARP is not on that list…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The baserunner, Barnhart was out of the baseline, inside the foul line. The way I read the rule, you cannot run to the left of the foul line. I’m glad we won any way.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our bullpen still has too many issues. Leone needs to improve fast. He is going to be on the DL with whiplash if these home runs keep happening. Is he tipping his pitches?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I did not look up the rule, but just the other day on the telecast, Danny Mac said the rule is that the runner can be up to three feet to either side of the baseline and still be legal. Further, the runner’s lane that is marked out on every ball field in the country is worthless. In fact, it is totally misleading. Yet it remains just like the silly coaching boxes that are also ignored.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

grays, if Carpenter can only hit .160 in the NL, what makes you think he can hit appreciably better in the AL?

I guess, you are assuming his playing in the field is hurting his swing, but I’ve seen nothing firm to draw that correlation. Let me know if I missed it, though.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

matt is the best leadoff man in mlb, but it’s not my lineup card.
    he should be able to hit anywhere in the lineup, but he doesn’t.
    his personal best case is as a leadoff DH, but who wants to sell low on him? He will heat up, and then who wants him dealt when he’s carrying the lineup?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27, on the homers allowed today comment, did you mean Lyons or Norris? Leone did not pitch today.

But I am still confused. Those were Lyons’ and Norris’ first homers of the season allowed. Fortunately for the Cards, they were both solo shots. As many have commented, the Cincy park plays small.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

“grays, if Carpenter can only hit .160 in the NL, what makes you think he can hit appreciably better in the AL?

I guess, you are assuming his playing in the field is hurting his swing, but I’ve seen nothing firm to draw that correlation. Let me know if I missed it, though.”

***I just think he has more value everything else equal, in the AL because of his sub par def being less of a liability in a higher scoring league..i think he will certainly improve from .160, and should be moved from the 3 spot..

If 2 goals for this team in the near future are
    1- improving infield defense and 2- obtaining a power/corner bat (would more than likely be infield) I just dont see where carpenter fits on this team

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Too bad this wasn’t a 10 game series as this lowly Reds squad couldn’t presently beat an opposing team with Otis Taylor fielding balls over at 3rd, Bernard Fife playing short, Floyd the barber at 2nd, Andy Taylor at 1st and Bea Taylor manning the top step of the dugout. But this will change. No way a ML club is this bad. This team will get hot….sizzling hot…. hopefully next month at around this time when they square off against the cubbies for the first time in ’18. As a quick aside, I issued enough posts this weekend to choke a horse. Only one problem…. when I hit the “SUBMIT” button, my post wouldn’t register. Hopefully now fixed.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs……that’s Otis Campbell, not Otis Taylor.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

“I did not look up the rule, but just the other day on the telecast, Danny Mac said the rule is that the runner can be up to three feet to either side of the baseline and still be legal. Further, the runner’s lane that is marked out on every ball field in the country is worthless. In fact, it is totally misleading. Yet it remains just like the silly coaching boxes that are also ignored.”
    ——————————————————————————————————-

I don’t think Danny is right here. Check on this, will you Mr. Walton sir? I see this issue comes up a lot during the course of a season and if it is indeed three feet to either side I will be the most surprised person in the entire world.

r/Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The base running question involves “base line” versus “base path.” The base lines are fixed on the field and are 3 feet to either side of both foul lines and also 3 feet away from and parallel to direct lines from 2B to the other two bags.

The 3-foot rule applies to a runner’s “base path.” The runner establishes his own base path, which at any time is a direct line from his current position to the next base. The base path constantly varies because runners round the bases, sometimes more so than others — they don’t make sharp 90 degree turns at the bases to proceed in a direct path. Also, runners lead off bases at an angle for various reasons, e.g., runners lead from 3B in foul territory so they won’t be out if hit by a batted ball. The 3-foot rule comes into play when a defender is attempting to tag a runner. The runner cannot leave “his base path” by more than 3 feet in either direction to avoid the tag.

This is primarily addressed in rule 5.09(b)(1) of the current MLB rule book.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Would they consider a 10 day DL stint for Carpenter when Jedd comes off the DL?

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good weekend for the Redbirds! They were facing an opponent that is struggling and they did not let them get a win. The competition will get stronger in the next series. However, the club goes to Chicago on a very positive note!

Having said this … It appears it could be a very long season in Cincinnati.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Man that was one of the worst teams i ever seen that is just how pathetic the Reds are…

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why would Carpenter go on the DL if he’s not hurt?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

These exciting finishes from the bullpen bring back memories of Izzy.

Or Rosenthal, when he could not find the strike zone.

On Pugs comments about submitting posts, but not having them stick, I have seen that on occasion as well. I have put in a few comments that for some reason do not get posted. Not enough to “choke a horse”, but some here and there.

Carpenter – He definitely is not the hitter he was a couple of years ago. He seems to take the approach that he prefers to walk if at all possible, and he swings only if he has to. And his swing is a little odd – sort of a long, looping swing. Usually you like those short, compact swings like Pham has.

It seems our team, and this may be true around baseball, but it seems we never swing at the first pitch. There have been ABs, one in particular was when DeJong was up with runners on base, where the first pitch is right there and he let it go. It looked like a pitch to mash, but he let it go and was immediately down in the count. I know it’s good to work the count and all, but now and then you need to go up there ready to jump on that first one as a pitcher quite often will want to get ahead in the count.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Pads

The 10 day DL can be abused for people stubbing their toe.

And Carpenter has changed his throwing motion due to chronic shoulder issues.

He started worse last year. So things will likely get better at the plate.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenter needs to hit leadoff. There is nothing more obvious in the world. That is where has always been the most productive. Who cares why that is? So maybe it is psychological? So what? The bottom line is results. The reason why is irrelevant. Why do we try to force him to hit third when it doesn’t work? Let the man hit leadoff!!!!!!!!!!!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

cold weather, wet, or both are not ideal for any player with back and shoulder issues. matt will heat up with the weather. until then, an occasional extra inning walk-off will have to suffice.

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.