2018 Reg Seas Game #135 – vs. Reds – Fri 8/31

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #135 – vs. Reds – Fri 8/31

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

Walton tweeted the 3 moves for the Sept call up but I see Adolis Garcia on the bench. I didn’t know he was the September call up. I thought they’d keep him in Memphis for the playoff push and missed he was recalled for Gyorko.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

2 out rallies. That’s what I’m talking about!

NJ315
    Participant

That’s a winner! 12-5

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Bader ends the game with a nice running catch. Now 17 games over 500.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Man I just want to get back into a position to be in the conversation but that Cubs Schedule has me wanting it all on the line the last week.

I don’t think we can sleep on Milwaukee either. I think getting Gio is bigger than people think. Grandyman is for a veteran in the dugout.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice win…nice win by Philly too! Boy, if I didn’t hate the cubs so much, I would have been terribly torn on who to root for in that Phils-cubs game tonight. Couple of quick asides….our new poster, RememberDiz, seems to be quite the voice of reason…..glad you decided to join us! And I was hoping another newbie, Wesor1, would have joined us this evening…..hopefully tomorrow. And finally I find it so amusing that RatsBuddy actually thought that lame squad out of Jasper had a chance tonight vs an extremely talented and rugged Boonville team…..you’re lucky to have stayed within 14 points of them, Rat!

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

So the cardinals end august a season saving 23-5…

Any idea what the modernball era team win and winning % record is? This has to be close to it…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With roster expansion I doubt we see much more of Cecil unless it is a blowout.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Any idea what the modernball era team win and winning % record is? This has to be close to it…

Not sure Grays, but the 1942 team closed the season with a 21-4 record in September. For any Cardinal club playing close to the 1942 team’s second half run is saying a lot.

This 2018 team could be on an historic run, but we will see. Some people think of this season as being similar to 2011. I do not see that so much, as they remind me more of 1964, where guys who struggled in the first half came on in the second half. Plus a couple of key personnel changes in the outfield and bullpen spurred them on.

Another comparison is the 2009 Rockies, who took off after the managerial change from Clint Hurdle to Jim Tracy. Along those lines and as a means of self-promotion, SABR published a book about the 25 year history of the Rockies, and it includes an article on that 2009 season which was penned by yours truly, Mr. Bike Mike.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully we keep in winning in September. And sweep this series and gain on either the PHIls or the Cubs.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mike, good comparisons. For a more contemporary Cards choice, I’d say it reminds me of 2001. They were something like 56-55 before getting on a roll and finishing 93-69.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was at that game last night, and what Cecil did was create a living nightmare. Besides almost ruining the game for the fans, he almost trashed Gomber’s great performance as well.

If the Cardinals get into the postseason, there is no way they can justify keeping Cecil on the postseason roster. No way.

If the Cardinals have to release Cecil, or trade him and eat part of his salary, part of the cost should come out of Mozeliak’s, Girsch’s, and Flores’ paychecks rather than all of the cost coming out of the ticket prices. That would give some relief to the fans who can garner a modicum of satisfaction with the knowing that the responsible parties have been duly punished. The additional money that theses three would contribute could be used to give out some additional free tickets, or maybe use the money to lower concession prices on some items.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems quite an overreaction. Yes, the Cecil contract is bad. So is Fowler’s. Show me a GM who has batted 1.000 on free agent signings. (hint: There isn’t one.)

How about this?

I just noticed that Miles Mikolas has the highest fWAR (3.2) of any free agent pitcher signed across MLB this past winter. That includes the likes of Yu Darvish, Jake Arrieta and Shohei Ohtani (1.8 as hitter, 1.1 as pitcher), who each received WAAAAAY more money than Mikolas.

Does that mean the front office should get a salary bump for this extraordinary signing? 😉

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I realize that penalizing the ‘players’ in the front office isn’t going to happen that way. Just venting, I guess. It seems like somebody should be held accountable. I try to understand how this can happen when you’ve got seasoned professionals doing the evaluating and negotiating. How could they all have been this far off? So that takes me to raw speculation. I’m guessing now that it’s the player. Maybe after acquiring a guaranteed $28M, Cecil can no longer find the internal motivation to be the best he can be. Its just not there. Maybe all he can think about is finishing up his contract, collecting his $28M, and sailing off into the sunset….. on his own yacht. Just speculation. But there has to be some reason for this failure. The talent that Cecil has that got him this for didn’t just disappear.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years