2018 Reg Seas Game #133 – vs. Bucs – Wed 8/29

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #133 – vs. Bucs – Wed 8/29

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m. RHP Miles Mikolas (13-3, 2.94) vs. RHP Trevor Williams (10-9, 3.44) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is Jordan Hicks turning into another Trevor Rosenthal? That being that he throws real hard but he has control problems. So far in 66 innings this year Hicks has walked 35. I know this is his first time in the big leagues but that’s too many walks. Much like the way it was with Rosenthal, its almost to the point where I get worried every time Hicks comes into a game anymore.

I hope he finds better command. As somebody stated on the Tuesday game thread….it doesn’t matter how hard he throws if he cant find the strike zone.

r/Rat

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Growing pains.Just like all the other rookies.Maybe he needs to be eased into lower leverage situations for a little while.

14NyquisT
    Participant

At one point, Rosenthal was on fire. It took awhile. Hicks is a very fine reliever and will improve with time. I’d leave him where he is. Plus you can’t mess with the team’s mojo… they’re playing great ball and are back in so many MLB conversations again. This time its on the positive side. Bader for ROY, Flaherty for ROY… good things are happening again.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rosy was pretty darned impressive (he was one of the top closers for a solid 2-3yr stretch) for a while then lost it…then got it back and looked awesome last year only to go down to injury…if Hicks turns into Rosy 2.0 i will be happy with that…but even Rosy didnt have 105 heat with movement

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not my favorite lineup.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Garcia is a career 6-11 against Williams and Muñoz 3-5. My guess is that’s why they’re starting. Carpenter is 7-16 with 3 HR, Dejong 4-7 with a homer, Bader 2-5, Jmart 6-13, Yadi 4-17.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks, stlcard25, but what about O’Neill and Adolis? Are they .000 or 1.000? 😉

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Williams has never gotten them out in his career!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Hicks in his current role. The BB’s have bloated his WHIP, but like Carlos, Hicks strands a high %.

If he didn’t have the lowest HR% and lowest XBH% i’d be more concerned. His team low .245 slg% allowed is limiting the damage of his base runners. That and a 60% ground ball rate.

I do like his composure on the mound.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

It’s down to thirty games.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well said, Jon! Rat is quite the worry-wart…..but one heck of a 9-Ball player. Even with Mikolas dealing, Pittsburgh will be dangerous in a game such as this. I’m sure Hurdle still has them thinking playoffs, but if they lose this one, Gordon Gekko wouldn’t be able to sell the players on a possible post season appearance. I think their dreams end tonight in a close one…..4-3 Birds.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You think Hicks is the closer next season Pugs? Norris re-signed?

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

In the stands tonight, Redbird Club of course. Miles looking good but J-Mart needs to keep it together in RF.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

(Looking out towards right field) How can you play baseball for years and years for hours on end a day….and yet still not become anywhere close to being classified as an average defensive player??

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

When you think of J-Mart and D it usually takes you to disaster. That was a weird play. A lot of people have criticized him for not knowing how to use a glove, but I think we just saw that he doesn’t know how to wear a glove. I love the guy as a hitter though.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it’s a toss up, Jon. A lot is going to depend how both perform in post season play. If Norris is lights out, you just have to bring him back with it being his job to lose. But I think other than injury, there’s no stopping Hicks in claiming top dog status in the pen pretty darn soon.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Martinez’ inability to wear a glove is now really causing Mikolas to throw a lot of extra pitches. Bases now loaded, hopefully it doesn’t cost any runs.

NJ315
    Participant

Long and tough inning for Mikolas. Can he escape without giving up a run?

NJ315
    Participant

He escapes but it took 31 pitches.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas has been averaging 14.8 heaves an inning this year….pretty darn good. That average will go up a bit with this 31 pitch 1st inning. But no harm done as the Bucs leave the bases juiced without without bearing any fruit.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Lead off walk for Carp. 3rd baseman stayed in position during the shift on Carp then moved over to 2b w/2 strikes. Interesting.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi with a double with the ball not even hitting the warning path and no outfielder falling down….could Yadi be getting fleeter of foot in his advancing years? We could be looking at the next Vince Coleman 10 years from now if Yadi keeps trending in that direction.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Geesh if we don’t score here, it sure as heck won’t bode well for us prevailing…..Carp should have been positioned to tag up….Oqie’s fault.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NJ, CardsRedSox4Ever, JJ, Cards25, Euro……any of you guys still here? Mikolas is right back in track in the pitch count department as he dispatches the Bucs lickity split here in the 2nd.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.