2018 Reg Seas Game #100 – at Reds – Mon 7/23

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #100 – at Reds – Mon 7/23

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    forsch31
    Participant

Free

The team lost a game to the Reds who have a record of 21-13 since June 9. They are definitely not one of the worst teams in baseball. We lost on a blown save by what has been our best reliever this year. It was only his 3rd blown save.

I am disappointed in not being able to win the game and wish our offense would be more consistent. I am not going to get too upset over 1 game. I am still hopeful they can turn things around although I am less hopeful that they can make the playoffs.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham could have played it safe and stopped at 2B.Thats another option.Like the hustle but maybe stopping at 2B might have been smarter.Damned if you do and damned if you dont.With Pham`s history of baserunning blunders sometimes a little conservative baserunning might have been in order.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You’re right that it was an option but with this offense, do you think he would have scored from 2nd there?

It’s also worth mentioning that he more than easily beat the throw and was tagged on the pop up from the slide. Perhaps he should have slowed it down a touch coming in but again, I wouldn’t call it a blunder.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25-i just hate that instead of a runner on 2B with no outs the Cards ended up with 1 out and nobody on base.Bad judgement on his part made in the heat of the moment, beating the throw doesn’t count for anything if you cant stay on the base does it? Out is out.Trying to light a fire to get the offense going is understandable…..but you have nothing going with no one on base.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

25, it is just another slam towards Bws personal whipping post. Pham could go 5 for 5 with 3 HRs and 6 RBIs and if he was thrown out trying to steal 2nd base, Bw would have to point out how bad of a baserunner he is.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whats the old saying..."dont ever make the 1st out of the inning at 2 or 3rd in a close game”.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

On the play in question, Pham could have been standing on 2b but the next 2 batters hit ground balls. The first was to the SS and the second was to 3b. He still would have been standing on 2nd with 2 outs.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The last time the Cards were not above .500 was April 13.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forsch-And you know that the results would have been exactly the same with Pham on 2B because of your crystal ball and what about the 3rd out that would have been available.I guess you never heard ” never make the 1st out at 2nd or 3rd in a close game”.Pham made a dumb play IMHO.You can defend him all you want..i frankly don`t give a damn.The sooner he is gone the better.Another example of Phamfoolery tonite.
    He has to be one of the worst baserunners in the league,along with his lousy defense and his proving he average …he can be replaced

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I don’t think Pham’s blunder can be blamed on a bad choice. He was safe and just slipped off the bag for a split second.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Forsch, are you saying the Reds should be in fourth place? 😉

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I don’t know the results anymore than you do. You just hate Pham and use any opportunity to pile on. You refuse to accept that he actually beat the throw and was out due to what happened AFTER he made it safely to the bag ahead of the tag. If he stopped on 2nd and got stranded on 3rd, you probably would pile on him because he didn’t try to get a triple.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Brian, they are playing very well. I don’t want them in 4th place but I am not going to close my eyes to the fact they have been better than they were earlier in the year.

If we keep playing poorly, they might be shortly.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

858-He also could have played it safe and been standing on 2B with no outs instead of ending up in the dugout with 1 out.It all comes back to “never make the 1st out at 2B or 3B in a close game”.I realize there is no guarantee he could have been knocked in by the Cards hitters…but we will never know because he ended up out and sitting in the dugout.That`s my main gripe.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forsch- I dont hate Pham..I dislike him and want him traded.You refuse to accept that beating the throw doesnt count for crap when you end up out and sitting on your ass in the dugout.I think he made a dumb play … .His play cost a out and a baserunner.Dumb play by a gguy who has made a bunch of them on the bases this season.That is a FACT.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We lost a no-no and we lost a game, but look at the bright side…..we gained a friend. Welcome aboard, CardinalBabe1982!!! I have a good feeling that CardinalBabe1982 is going to be a dandy!

Speaking of a “no-no”, what would be it’s opposite? That’s right….a “yes-yes”. And I think yes-yes would adequately describe our bullpen…..every opposing dugout certainly must have 25-30 guys saying “yes-yes”! as any and every Cardinal reliever trots on out to take the hill. But again, looking on the bright side, we see it time and time again in baseball where a team’s dismal bullpen one year is transformed into an elite group the next. However, it’s much much tougher to turn around a starting rotation quickly….just look at the cubbies.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Bw, I notice you don’t put Pham’s recent batting stats up every game like you were 2 weeks ago. Is that because he is batting .300 in July?

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Pham’s out at third was his mistake. He tried to stand at the end of the slide, it wasn’t that he just couldn’t stop. Bad technique; don’t pop to a stand unless the throw is going to the cutoff man. If it’s coming to your base, hook slide or head first. Bad slide, Pham’s mistake, should have worked on that in spring training. That’s just one of many fundamentals that have fallen by the wayside as this season progresses. Shildt seems pretty calm, but I hope he’s reading them the riot act behind closed doors.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forsch –Pathetic attempt .Better yet lets talk about Phams .258 BA or his .760 OPS or his 150 plus strikeout rate or his 60 % stolen base rate or his multiple idiotic baserunning mistakes or his lousy defense in CF or his refusual to man up when he screws up or his “poor pitiful me ” ” I was effed over by the team and they held me back” line of horsecrap from him.How about all those redemming qualities shown by your posterboy.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pham’s biggest issue on his out at 3B was he was much slower on the first half of his “sprint” from home to 3B than he was on the second half. Sprinting out of the box is not too much to ask for out of professional athletes making that much money. This isn’t just Pham obviously, he’s got a lot of company on this — culture of today’s game.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

EW – you’re right, that’s a big problem with this team. Bader is the only one I see who’s hustling all the way around the bases.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have never seen a team make so many baserunning mistakes as this bunch.Sometimes it is like these guys are like little leaguers running the bases.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Come on Bw. You took every opportunity to point out Pham’s recent stats…. until he started hitting again. NOW, you want to change to the year’s figures and claim you don’t HATE Pham. Whatever.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forsch-i told I dislike Pham for the reasons I have stated.You want to polish his butt because he is hitting .300 in July…good for you.That brings him up to .250 plus for the season.Wow….superduperstar in his mind.I will continue to dislike Pham and you can continue to be his cheerleader.You simply cannot accept the fact that he made a mistake.That`s your blind spot….your Phammite is showing.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no problems with Shildt’s decision. 116 pitches for a rookie is borderline apocalyptic in this era of analytics. When you give the worst bullpen in MLB only a one run margin then there is a good chance you are going to get burned. No big surprises here.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.