Yairo Munoz injury – release

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yairo Munoz injury – release

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cardinals27 said:

I imagine the Cards would look at the waiver wire for minor league infield depth. Possibly a trade?

Eh the Cardinals already have a logjam of infielders at the top levels.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What logjam of quality infielders? Sosa is the only minor league shortstop who seems ready to step in for Dejong. Montero looked pretty bad at 3rd, and seems like a candidate for position change. Schrock is mostly a second basemen, although he may see more time at 3rd this year in Memphis. I like Ascanio as well, but he hasn’t played a full year at AA yet. Also I like Donovan. I am concerned with any kind of injuries the middle infield could be exposed as much as the starting pitching was at the lower levels last year.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont think the guaranteed salary is correct for Munoz. He should have been on a non guaranteed contract.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/non-guaranteed-contract

It prevents having to pay 15+ days of IL time (50k). I assume there will be a grievance no matter what. If he’d have been optioned there would be a grievance for sending down an injured player. But I dont think you can release an injured player either. It seems suspending him would have been the logical move.

What does the fact that he went awol have to do with optioning him to the minors instead of rewarding him by making him a FA?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Does this give Mendoza a chance to start at 3rd for Memphis? With Urias and Munoz gone, it opens up more playing time at AAA.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wasn’t Ryan Sherriff released while recovering from Tommy John surgery?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I believe Sherriff was in the minors while injured.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC said:

…Don’t like the precedent of complain and we will make you a FA…

I was reacting to the above comment. It seems pretty clear that his complaining was not the reason for his release.

If he wants to appeal his release, it would seem to be on shaky grounds, since he quit.

Calling this a “reward” seems odd to me since he forfeited an MLB salary to open the season (presumed on the IL) and lost his 40-man roster spot (unless claimed off waivers). Considering everything, I would be very surprised if another organization gives him a 40-man spot now or even when he is healthy. Far more likely he will have to go to the minors somewhere else to re-prove himself.

But whatever. He is now an ex-Cardinal. Good luck to him down the road.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

Does this give Mendoza a chance to start at 3rd for Memphis? With Urias and Munoz gone, it opens up more playing time at AAA.

Yes – or it could be Schrock or Robertson or even Montero at third. They could push the latter up so Gorman can play in the field every day for Springfield. I will be watching Montero closely in minors camp.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Uniform Players Contract section 7(b)(3), states that a club can terminate a contract if the player “fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach this contract”.

Not showing up for medical treatment and leaving the team without permission would seem to fit, IMO.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, I used the word “complain” but I meant it in the broader sense of showing your unhappiness – which would include going awol. If the Cards control a player’s rights and he wants out, why would you grant that to a player that behaves badly? Would you do it for a player who requested it and didn’t behave badly?

Participant

Free

Edman can play short just fine when dejong needs a break So we don’t have any worries there.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this may be the year Montero changes positions. Perhaps to the outfield, as below AAA the Cards are thin on quality outfielders.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I liked Munoz. Seemed to be a real competitor but he was useless down the stretch last year. A victim of the emergence of Tommy Edman. Wonder why Mo didn’t at least try to get a prospect for him. Probably a dollar driven decision not to attempt a trade.

Munoz could have value to another organization provided that he could face the proposition that he may never be more than a utility player.

Participant

Free

What is fungibility Euro?

Participant

Free

Any player who “sees the writing on the wall” that he’s not going to make the team and decides to just pack his stuff up and go home is a quitter and a loser. Good riddance.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not surprisingly, no team wanted to claim Munoz off waivers.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Wooster, I was just saying there are too many equal or better options over Munoz. Supply and demand was not working in Munoz’ favor with Edman, Miller, and Sosa around.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I suspected, Munoz had to take a minor league contract, though he could earn his way back onto the 40-man later. At least one step backward, though. Hope it works out for him…

Participant

Paid - Annual

As has been said before ‘There’s no honor among thieves.’

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years