Yairo Munoz injury – release

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yairo Munoz injury – release

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

It always amazes me how after 4 and 1/2 months off players come to Spring Training and are either hurt when they get here or get hurt during Spring Training.

I’d say its too much conditioning. Maybe our players should do like Herzog used to say, just eat hot dogs and drink beer during the off season and take it easy. It seemed to work for George Herman Ruth.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

In fairness, Rat, the Babe ate hot dogs and drank beer during the games.

Participant

Free

well to be honest, I feel we have better options this year than munoz so while I don’t wish him bad. I think we are just fine in that regard anyway.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, that is an interesting move, to be sure. I felt like Munoz was an odd man out in that he’s a mediocre defender and an ok hitter. The Cards have better options.

Also, is it known that there will be some addition to the 40 man? I feel like I’m missing something, from your tweet.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ouch. I get that all these guys are used to being the top dog, but that’s an expensive gig to quit out of frustration.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 said:

Also, is it known that there will be some addition to the 40 man? I feel like I’m missing something, from your tweet.

Well, there is only one non-roster invitee in camp posing a serious bid to make the team. Some kid named Carlson…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Young people can make bad decisions. Munoz would have opened the season on the MLB injured list, making MLB salary until he would likely eventually go down to Memphis. One injury and he is right back.

Nothing has changed since the day Brad Miller was signed…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, he had an inside track to a spot on the IL, at least…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, there is only one non-roster invitee in camp posing a serious bid to make the team. Some kid named Carlson…

D’oh!! Somehow I forgot that Dylan wasn’t already on the 40 man. Please don’t revoke my fan card…😬

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Young people can make bad decisions. Munoz would have opened the season on the MLB injured list, making MLB salary until he would likely eventually go down to Memphis. One injury and he is right back.

Nothing has changed since the day Brad Miller was signed…

Yeah, you hope that this is something he will grow up and learn from. Definitely an expensive decision. From the Cards’ perspective, he’s basically a pure depth player so I don’t think it harms the team much.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As more reports come out, it seems clear this release is all about Munoz and nothing should be read into it about Carlson, other than it puts even more pressure on the front office to put him on the team.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Munoz going away is not a big loss…we will be fine without him.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Even if the Cards released Munoz for other reasons it certainly clears a path now for Carlson.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As long as everyone’s healthy, this likely makes Sosa the everyday Memphis shortstop, Schrock the second sacker, and resignee Ascanio moves up a notch in pecking order. I imagine the Cards would look at the waiver wire for minor league infield depth. Possibly a trade?

Participant

Free

Seems like he was unhappy with his playing time. As error proned as he was, he should have been thankful to have opportunities at all. He wont be missed and down the road, few will even remember his name. We already have people in the organization to take his place so no need to go looking for more ok players.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think this move has anything to do with Carlson. This was just a knee-jerk, boneheaded move by Munoz. Maybe the young man will get a chance with another organization but it is not a good look for him.

It does make the Piscotty trade look a little worse though.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatargscottar.
    kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

While no Rex Hudler he was better than the likes of Bo Hart and a few dozen others that have made this Team. He always played hard. Appeared to be a good teammate. Not a good decision on his part.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

But why realease waivers and not just simply waivers to remove him from the 40 man roster? Don’t like the precedent of complain and we will make you a FA.

kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

I would be more unhappy if they didnt want playing time.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC said:

But why realease waivers and not just simply waivers to remove him from the 40 man roster? Don’t like the precedent of complain and we will make you a FA.

Well… #1, he left the team a week ago, skipping a scheduled MRI and did not tell anyone. #2, as noted in my article, tomorrow is apparently a deadline for having to guarantee his salary. #3, in a general sense, if teams acted punitively, a grievance would be filed by the Players’ Association.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

#2, as noted in my article, tomorrow is apparently a deadline for having to guarantee his salary.

This is the one. When depth reaches a certain level, fungibility has little value.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years