World Series thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum World Series thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Red Sox vs. Dodgers.

Game | Match-Up | Date | Air Time | First Pitch | Network
    WS Game 1 | LAD/MIL @ BOS | Tues., Oct. 23rd | 7:30 p.m. (ET) | 8:09 p.m. (ET) | FOX
    WS Game 2 | LAD/MIL @ BOS | Wed., Oct. 24th | 7:30 p.m. (ET) | 8:09 p.m. (ET) | FOX

WS Game 3 | BOS @ LAD/MIL | Fri., Oct. 26th | 7:30 p.m. (ET) | 8:09 p.m. (ET) | FOX
    WS Game 4 | BOS @ LAD/MIL | Sat., Oct. 27th | 7:30 p.m. (ET) | 8:09 p.m. (ET) | FOX
    WS Game 5^ | BOS @ LAD/MIL | Sun., Oct.28th | 8:00 p.m. (ET) | 8:15 p.m. (ET) | FOX

WS Game 6^ | LAD/MIL @ BOS | Tues., Oct. 30th | 7:30 p.m. (ET) | 8:09 p.m. (ET) | FOX
    WS Game 7^ | LAD/MIL @ BOS | Wed., Oct. 31st | 7:30 p.m. (ET) | 8:09 p.m. (ET) | FOX
    ^ indicates If Necessary

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

So it looks like 2 of the top 3 payrolls in baseball will meet in the WS. Who would have thunk it?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Dodgers down the Brewers 5-1 to advance to the World Series. Homeruns by Bellinger and a three run dinger by Puig the difference. Kershaw pitched the 9th for the Dodgers.

I’d say the only chance the Dodgers have in this series is if Kershaw finally lives up to his ace billing and pitches two gems. Without that, I don’t see the Red Sox losing this one. Unless Denkinger is umpiring this series.

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yeah, whoda thunk it?

Recent World Series teams’ payroll ranking:
    2017 – Astros #16, Dodgers #6
    2016 – Indians #26, Cubs #4
    2015 – Mets #21, Royals #14
    2014 – Royals #17, Giants #8

Seems crystal clear that being one of the top three spenders insures success, right? After all, they were 0-for-12 the last four years reaching the World Series.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It’s 1916 all over again! This was my expected World Series match-up at the beginning of the post season. I also anticipate this Series to go as it did 102 years ago, with Boston winning it in five. Hopefully it goes seven and is a classic, but the Red Sox just have it all going for them this year and it seems fitting that they would close out a historically great year with a relatively easy Series romp.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I traditionally root for the NL team (except in 2016) but league preference doesn’t mean as much as it did before interleague play.

The Dodgers have lived on the edge of disaster all year and I think their luck is finally out. I’ll predict Sox in six.

Actually I’ll just be glad when the WS is over so we can finally get to the hot stove league, which is my favorite time of the year.

NJ315
    Participant

I dislike Boston more than any other team except the Cubs. Go LA!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I dislike both Boston and LA, but the Dodgers slightly less. I wouldn’t mind seeing Kershaw pitch well and win a title.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Same here. Go LA!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Freese vs. Joe Kelly. There is a segment of sentimental Cardinals fans on Twitter who want both of them back.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I was in the minority when we made that deal of Craig and Kelly for John Lackey. I thought Craig would eventually hit, and Kelly had the tools to be real good and had a lot more upside than Lackey.

But in hindsight, Craig never did figure it out, and Kelly, while being pretty good, has not progressed like I thought he would. He’s still got the arm, but he has never quite mastered the art of location. He can look great at times, then struggle.

14NyquisT
    Participant

For Freese we got Grichuk, Bourjos and Salas. For Grichuk we got Leone and Greene #36.

For Kelly and Craig we got Lackey, Littrell and cash. How much cash, and where it went to, is what’s left of that trade.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Didn’t we draft Hudson and Carlson with the comp picks attached the the qualifying offer of Lackey and Heyeard? So one of those two count in the Lackey column as well.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton

Keymaster
    Freese vs. Joe Kelly. There is a segment of sentimental Cardinals fans on Twitter who want both of them back.

Neither would make any sense for our roster. Time to move on.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lackey = #33 carlson
    Heyward = #34 hudson

Correct on the lackey / heyward comp picks, but knowing they had the next two picks…..

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To fully assess the Freese trade, one needs to take into account what is in this article. It may have helped save his life.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/04/20/david-freese-world-series-mvp-depression-alcohol-pirates/100703658/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Red Sox win Game 1, 8-4. A three-run pinch-hit homer by Eduardo Nunez was the difference maker. Kershaw took the loss.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Does anybody think Kershaw is the pitcher that he used to be a few years ago?

He is a free agent, right?

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It was painful to root for Kershaw and of course he let me down. Why can’t both teams lose?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He will be a free agent if he opts out of his contract. Even so most believe he will resign with the Dodgers.

No he isn’t as good as he used to be but he has never been as good in the postseason as during the regular season throughout his career, mostly thanks to the Redbirds.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Neat article on Freese, Brian. I had never heard of his issues. I have always rooted for him. Now I’ll cheer him on even harder. I couldn’t imagine enduring so many years being constantly depressed. Fortunately depression does not seem to run in the family….heck, I know so little about it that I don’t even know if it’s hereditary?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The alcohol problems were known but generally not discussed. The depression part I had never heard about (prior to that article) and that can also be incredibly damaging. I wonder if teams are even equipped to diagnose and treat mental health issues.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Red Sox go up two games to none with a 4-2 victory.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I’m almost hoping for a sweep just so that we can get to the trades and such…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.