Winter Meetings

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Winter Meetings

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m crying my eyes out over the poor Boston Red Sox. They just can’t seem to find anybody that will help them unload some payroll.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So far the winter meetings have been a big yawn for Cards fans.I expected just as much.It is pretty sad when the highlight of the winter meetings is seeing who your team might take in the RUle 5 draft AAA version.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

KA-BOOM!

Participant

Free

Can’t say I’m shocked by 324M, but unbelievable nonetheless!

The Yankees are almost guaranteed to blow past the Luxury Tax for almost a decade now with Stanton and Cole.

Participant

Free

A third of a billion dollars? Hope that Craig Stammen doesn’t cost that much.

Participant

Free

David Price is due 32M the next three years, and that is a ridiculous amount, but he did have a 3.62 FIP and 10.7 K/9 in the AL east and I can’t imagine a better change of scenery candidate.

What if the Cards sent them Fowler (assuming he would approve) to play CF or move Betts to CF and they can move Bradley with a replacement on hand? They also need RPs in an extreme way so the Cards include Gant. They also send the Cards 12M in 2022.

With Gant included the Cards take on an additional $14M in 20/21 and 20M in 22 but they could have a star lefty in the rotation for the playoffs.

With them shedding $14M for Price and roughly 11M for Bradley they are very close to the LT number and have a reliever addition on top of it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perspective…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yesterday, it was Mazara. Today, Arenado is making Cardinals Twitter lose its collective mind.

Participant

Free

I wish the Cardinals didn’t extend Carpenter. If they hadn’t, Arenado would be a big target for me. However, I don’t see where his current contract would fit into the payroll. I also don’t believe the Rockies will trade him.

Participant

Free

Cool Arenado stats:
    career bases empty .827 OPS
    career men on base .983
    career with RISP 1.024

Over the past decade, MLB-wide (a sample size of well over a million trips to the plate) batterb as a whole have hit slightly better with men on base than with the bases empty. About 35 points of OPS better, but that’s all. Arenado appears to be the rare “RBI guy” who actually exists.

Uncool Arenado stats:
    career home .995 OPS
    career road .799

And Busch Stadium III is not kind to righty power hitters — Goldschmidt and Ozuna being recent glaring examples, along with Paul DeJong and Harry Bader, who have combined to homer 69 times on the road and just 32 times at home.

But it’s all moot anyway, since Cardinal brass signed Matt Carpenter and Paul Goldschmidt both to multi-year extensions before the 2019 season. Ahh, if only no Carpenter extension. Then they could just trade Dylan Carlson plus a sweetener or two, and Nolan Arenado could hold down third base for the next half a decade. And likely be as disappointing as Goldy and Ozuna turned out to be.

As it stands now, the trade would need to be Dylan Carlson plus Nolan Gorman plus Matt Carpenter. And I don’t think I’d do that if I were the Birds. Maybe, but I don’t think so. Perhaps if the Cards also included the salary and questionable shoulder of Carlos Martinez, and received Jon Gray. Man that would be some blockbuster, yes?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t get the idea of trading for Arenado. If the Cards want to do something big at 3B (which they don’t), why pay the high price in players when they could sign Rendon for just one draft pick and probably not all that much more money?

P.S. I guess the only reason would be if they could convince Carpenter and/or Fowler to accept a trade, which would offset some of the money. That changes one big IF to two big IFs, dropping the actual chances of getting a deal done.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So the Rockies extended Arenado for eight years last February, and now they want to trade him. Obviously, they had no intention of holding onto him at the time that they were extending him. They must have gambled that they could get more than just an early draft pick by playing it this way. Seems like a smart move for the Rockies.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems to me that if the Rockies’ plan all along was to trade Arenado, they wouldn’t have tied their own hands by giving him full no-trade protection. I am guessing we will soon be reading a quote from the Rockies’ GM saying they have no intention of trading him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If it works out for the Rockies, then the no trade provision is irrelevant.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud said:

If it works out for the Rockies, then the no trade provision is irrelevant.

How do you figure? What if he (or his wife) doesn’t want to go to Toronto, for example? Even if it gets that far, this could be another Stanton, who turned down two done deals.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of the deals already done, Boras’ cut (if he gets the customary 5%) will be about $32 MM.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I forgot to note that Arenado has an opt-out after the 2021 season. That will somewhat negatively impact what the Rockies could get for him.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Re: Angels. Does it mean they are going for it in 2020 or that they just don’t highly value their draft picks? 😉

One of the draft pick moves was enable them to dump Cozart’s $12.7 MM salary. Unless they buy something big, it sure doesn’t look like an all-in strategy. They did add Dylan Bundy (and Mike Mayers), but that ain’t Cole!

Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Rockies trade Arenado and get something better than a supplemental pick, then the no trade provision is irrelevant.

Participant

Free

well really the cardinals shouldn’t be sending anybody to the winter meetings. they are just wasting more money and time than they already do. man it would be nice to hear the cardinals actually made a deal for rendon or Arenado, a once in a lifetime type thing but it wont happen. they might pick em up 5 years down the road when they are starting to go downward. say what you want about the yankees and some others, they don’t pocket their money. they show their fans they are trying to win. the cardinals management just sits on top of their pile of money like uncle scrooge just hoping old guys they overpaid or extended past their prime come through with a miraculous rebound season. it is Christmas, do you believe in miracles.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years