Winter Meetings

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Winter Meetings

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Winter Meetings will officially begin on Monday although most of the participants will begin arriving on Sunday. I used to look forward to this event but that last couple of years have been nothing but a four day snooze fest. Maybe this year will be different.

I think MLB should put in some FA signing deadlines to try spur more movement earlier in the offseason. It is what the NBA does and it generates more excitement. They should turn the winter meetings into a must see event, otherwise, they should just have the Rule 5 draft on Monday and go home.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

The meetings have recently been frustrating for Cards fans. All the names being mentioned on the comments here and in the PD story will be picked up by other teams and no news for the Cardinal fandom.

If our front office does anything it will be for a Plan B for CMartinez. Something like a Porcello. They like to say that their players will make comebacks. Some do most don’t…. that is Mozeliak and company’s MO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fans who expect trades and free agent signings at the Winter Meetings will almost always be disappointed. It is a place for talking, not dealing.

Last winter, the Cards acquired Goldschmidt BEFORE the Winter Meetings. By then, it was old news. “How come they haven’t signed Harper yet?” 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

Fans who expect trades and free agent signings at the Winter Meetings will almost always be disappointed. It is a place for talking, not dealing.

It hasn’t always been that way. It used to be that the talking was done at the GM meetings in November then the action took place at the winter meetings in December. Now nothing happens at either.

Of course the whole concept is kind of antiquated. It used to be important to make deals face to face but now with all of the different ways to communicate it is much easier to make deals by long distances.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB could certainly do a better job of prioritizing certain times to do deals. Winter meetings are in that spot between the college football conference championship games and before the playoffs and bowls, and before the NFL playoffs start as well. Perhaps a moratorium on trades and non-internal signings for a few weeks prior to the meetings would create a nice buzz for MLB at that time.

Participant

Free

You’d think they would want to maximize team interest leading in the holidays for ticket and merchandise sales. That also leads to buzz just two months before they report to camp. But what do I know lol. I guess none of that is all that important.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Most teams haven’t even put single-game tickets on sale yet. This time of year, they are pushing the expensive packages and season tickets. Last year, the Cards put single-game tickets on sale on February 8 – two months from now.

Participant

Free

I get that BW but you’d think they’d want to build excitement to buy season tickets (the real money is made on these sales) and stuff like jerseys you know kinda like the Cardinals did with Goldschmidt last year. I guarantee you the ticket office was making calls the day of the trade and the gift shop had jerseys with his name and number for sale. I know single game tickets aren’t on sale yet and that isn’t what I was referring to above. That’s all I’m saying.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by AvatarTexasCard.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB could certainly do a better job of prioritizing certain times to do deals.

Absolutely, I think it would create much more buzz and excitement to shorten the winter FA signing season and trades instead of having it be like chinese water torture that drags on for four months.

Participant

Paid - Annual

One typo in this article is AJ Hinch is not the GM in Seattle, although he very well may be on the hot seat.

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, at least one big deal is announced. Like the biggest pitching deal ever?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This report is even higher…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if a lot of the money is deferred. That is the way the Nats do a lot of deals, which I don’t like.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why do the Nats always do the deferrals? I don’t think it would help with the luxury tax because the luxury tax is based on the annual average of the contract.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

So much for declining FA salaries!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Strasburg got that deal, I can’t imagine what Cole will get. 8 and $300M+?

Participant

Paid - Annual

If Strasburg got that deal, I can’t imagine what Cole will get. 8 and $300M+?

Yep, it is going to be a showdown between the Yanks and Angels.

Participant

Free

I think the Cole situation like it was between Boston and Us for David Price. Yankees will not be outbid.

Participant

Free

Booyah you’re spot on, Boras is just driving it up between the two. I haven’t read or heard of any other team being in the Cole sweepstakes?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope he goes to the Yankees. I dislike the Yankees more than I do the Angels.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Can we retroactivate this rule?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinalsâ„¢ and their minor league system for 20 years