What if……….Carpenter contract

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What if……….Carpenter contract

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

What do people think would have happened with the Carpenter option and contract if he had not been extended prior to the season. Would the Cards have picked up the option? Signed him to a multi year deal? Let him become a FA?

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Mo and DeWitt said confidence in Carp was high and it’s obvious he will bounce back next year. So, of course, Carp would’ve gotten a similar multi-year deal anyway.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is they would have negotiated another two year deal with a third year team option. I think they would have lowered their offer to something like 2/$32 MM. $14.5/$15.5 and $2MM buyout or $16.5 MM for 2022.

$14.5 MM was his 2019 salary, so no raise for this year based on last year. Compared to his current contract, they would save $7 MM in years 1-2 and the potential for another $2 MM savings in year 3 – if Carpenter accepted the offer, of course!

Participant

Free

Any word on what he’s working on this offseason? Drills to speed up his bat, multiple visits to the eye doctor, etc?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

My guess is that he would have hit the open market. However the Cards would have eventually signed him for about 1/$14 with a 2021 option for $18 with a $1 million buyout.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I know it’s hindsight, but outside of declining his 2020 option this winter, I wished they had deleted his 2020 option, and make it a 2 year deal ending in 2021.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years