What if……….Carpenter contract

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What if……….Carpenter contract

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    kscardfan
    Participant

Free

I keep seeing talk of Carpenter as a DH. Why? What team would want him at his current state?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

“Dylan Carlson has batted fifth in the last three games. He’s reached base six times, ripped two triples, scored three runs and driven in one.”

Exactly where I said he should hit last night in my proposed lineup. They have to move Goldschmidt and Arenado down a spot to 3 & 4 in the order.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bernie makes a good point about Carp. Basically, if you barrel screamers into the shift over and over, you bat .080

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

There was some discussion about Carpenter on Twitter tonight regarding his decline which began in 2018. What came out of it was on August 15 Carp was hit by a pitch on the hand, three days after getting hit by a pitch in the oblique area, and has never been the same.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with the points Bernie makes. In the end, the advanced metrics do not mean squat if you are hitting below .100 and have struck out 36% of your plate appearances. It is early, it may be possible for Matt to turn things around. However, I no longer the optimist I was three seasons ago.

I hate to see players I admire struggle at the end of their career because they have held on too long.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

There was some discussion about Carpenter on Twitter tonight regarding his decline which began in 2018.

Even the year before, when Carpenter put up very good numbers, it was a strange kind of very good. He had two ice cold stretches sandwiched around a pretty long blistering hot stretch. I also recall a year or two before that, he missed a few games due to some mysterious symptoms. I think it was eventually chalked up to fatigue due to over-exertion. At the time, I wondered if there was more to it.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Bruce and the shift

This SI article is mostly on Bruce’s retirement ‘because of the shift’ but mentions Carp in context.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Mo shortening the leash

Wait…people don’t wear leashes, says Goold…

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenters 2022 vesting option is toast already, after just 19 games. He has averaged 2.47 PA’s per game in the first 19 games and would need to average 4.06 PA’s per game the remaining 143 games.

The PBO is talking decreased PA’s publicly, auditioning outfielders are returning and Carp simply doesn’t deserve the PA’s.

Carlson is averaging 3.84 PA’s per game this season, so Carps 4.06 needed every single game remaining seems impossible.

Here’s to hoping he has a few feel good games off the bench in his final season as a Cardinal.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I am thinking if he continues to struggle that he will simply walk away. Retire. Bid farewell. I wouldnt at all be surprised if this happens in the not-to-distant future.

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Jay Bruce had a $20M contract he wouldn’t have walked away. I can’t see Carp doing it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When Mo starts making critical comments publicly that is not a good sign for the player.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m keeping my fingers crossed although I’m thinking that he would like nothing more than to get released so he can walk away with all those millions of the fans’ money. The difference between 2018 and the years after that is salsa. He should admit it (at least, to himself) and leave.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even though Carp shut off the lights before the ink was dry, I do not think there was any consciousness to it. It is a known phenomenon that sometimes happens when a guy cashes in. Goldy’s numbers took a noticeable, but far less precipitous, downturn right on cue as well. Carp is a stand up guy all in for the team, but his time has come and gone.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years