Watching our Farm System

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Watching our Farm System

This topic contains 54 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“I always like to see prospect’s better their numbers as they climb through the system. Johan Oviedo is doing just that early on…

By the end of ’18 he was the starter in the Chiefs opening round of the play-offs vs. Quad City. He pitched 6.0 innings of a 3-0 win…

At present Oviedo ranks at +/-#20 in most polls that I’ve seen including #20 on the latest TCN rating. His potential got him there and increasing his performance will no doubt boost him higher.”

Good info, Ny. With Reyes & Hudson graduating from the prospect list, it’ll be interesting to see who inherits the mantle of Top Pitching Prospect in the organization by season’s end. Johan certainly rates as a possibility.

Anyway, to supplement your insights I thought I’d include here some quotes from Kyle Glaser’s Baseball America Redbird prospect chat.

“Evaluators both internally and externally actually liked Oviedo quite a bit even when he wasn’t going so hot, and his second half turnaround really strengthened their belief that he could be a potential back-end starter someday.” (Emphasis mine.)

And better still, this:

“He’ll show you 96 and flash both a plus breaking ball and a plus changeup, but never at the same time.”

So clearly there is talent in the big man, however intermittently expressed. Glaser’s rather lengthy Oviedo remarks conclude with “His 2019 will be very, very interesting to watch, and I think he’s got a chance to really pop.”

I think the same could be said for both Angel Rondon and Jake Woodford, re “a chance to really pop” in 2019. But really, all we’re plausibly hoping for long term is a possible #4/5 starter from one of these guys (or Helsley, or someone else). Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Your current minor league system home run leader…..Irving Lopez! Who would have thought?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I feel confident in saying that I and almost everyone else missed the boat on Jesus Cruz. In retrospect you look at his 2017-2018 numbers and say how could this guy not have ranked higher. Now with his amazing strikeout % in 2019 it is pretty clear he deserved better. Let’s hope he makes us continue to eat crow!

Anyone had eyes on this guy who can give us more details on how he gets it done?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Woodford gave up two runs last night in his third start so his ERA hit 1.10. Interesting to see Ravelo covering for the lack of outfield opinions for the Redbirds. Nogowski went 3-3 playing 1B. Offensively Ravelo is struggling out of the gate, this after that great Spring training he had. That happens to a lot of guys.

Springfield lost all seven road game to start the season. They get home and win the last five… this against the same two teams. Kruczynski goes today and will try to shake early disappointments.

Okay so who is that masked man playing 2B for the S-Cards? Irving Lopez, the 5’10” 170 prospect taken in the 19th rd. in ’17 out of Fla. Intl., was a steady player in his first two seasons. The Community pegged him at +/- #80 due in part to his two-way numbers. Five HRs in his last six games, that would be a story for any prospect… but Perez? Plus two walk-offs, that’s a headliner. However, along with the new found power he has also been striking out considerably more. ’17 & ’18 his K rate was .159 or every 6.3 ABs. In this season’s small sample its .243 or every 4.1 ABs. Something to keep on eye on. Anyway, good for him with his back to back Player of the Day.

Palm Beach’s EGonzalez bounced right back with another valuable start(his second… not too good). The other story is YGonzalez’ injury (ankle). The PB-Cards would miss his .300BA should he head to the IR. Last season he was IRed with a heal bone contusion which is not related to the present problem.

There were several comments made here about how Peoria looked good for ’19. Those posts were spot on with that offense (the Chiefs lead the Midwest League in nearly every stat). So why is PEO only 4-7? Check the pitching stats… yep dead last in most important stats. Tonight they’ll be starting their third trip through the rotation with Parsons (who has been very good). Rosters spots could open up if things don’t change with a couple of starters…. (the bullpen is suspect also). There are several age appropriate pitchers at EST that might step up. I believe that the rotation should be given a three start minimum from opening day. We’ll see how the organization feels. Last in the league in pitching stats = real problems are apparent.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In the MEM 8-7 win Shreve almost coughed it up until Fasola closed it out inheriting two base runners. Knizner is on a 6 game hit streak and now is 7-14 against San Antonio,

All I’m going to say about Springfield is that Fagalde (PB) may be on the way to help their sorry pitching staff.

Palm Beach is 10 up and 3 down with both the pitching and offense clicking. The B-Birds lead the League in ERA, and the offense leads the league in AVR -R-H-OBP & OPS. No Yariel Gonzalez in the lineup, maybe its just precautionary.

Peoria came away with a 2-1 win on Parson’s second 8.0 inning performance. That should Parsons in the competition for the organization’s Pitcher of the Month for April. He’ll get two more starts this month.
    All five of the Chief’s runs have come in games with 2 or less runs allowed.

This is from:Under The Radar Minors 4/11/19. I wanted folks to know a little bit more about our ’17 Non-Drafted Free agent (NFA).

TOP NL UTR PITCHING PERFORMANCE

RHP Tommy Parsons (LoA Peoria – St Louis) 23 year old
    8 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, Win 2-0
    We write quite often about kids being drafted from high school or perennial college powerhouses, and all tend to have potential high ceilings. With the season in its infancy, I have already touched on a pitcher from a D-II school and an undrafted free agent. Parsons hits the rare daily double by being an undrafted free agent, coming out from a D-III school (Adrian College, MI). The 6′ 4″ 185 lb right-hander, seeing his first full season, received a mention on opening day and now gets top billing for his second start of 2019. The 23 year-old marked a career-high with 8 innings last night, and hasn’t allowed an earned run in 13 innings over his two starts. Dating back to his last three starts from 2018 at Johnson City (Appy League), Parsons has only allowed 2 earned runs in 33 total innings, with 2 walks and 23 strikeouts. This isn’t uncharted waters for Parsons, as he posted a 10.4 K/BB ratio (260 K in 269.2 IP) and a paltry 0.83 BB9 rate (25 walks) while at Adrian College. He commands a 3-pitch mix with a focus on his low 90’s fastball and change-up, which is his best offering.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Alex Reyes is going into the rotation. A lot of people were talking about this needing to happen.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At least they are recognizing the need. If Dakota Hudson did not already have a reason to look over his shoulder, he does now.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I know its odd but pitchers are odd people, I think he’ll pitch better out of the rotation than the bullpen.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As I stated the other day I think Hudson will be in Memphis soon as he should be. He is clearly overmatched right now.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We seem to have reversed our situation from a few years back. This year we are pretty good offensively and pretty awful in the pen. Palm Beach the exception. The most used relievers for the Beach Birds are Fernandez – 1.13 ERA, Dayton – 1.23, Williams – 1.93, Yokley – 3.18 and Dobanski – 3.00. Could be that is why they are having a good year. Others

Peoria: DeJesus – 4.15, Pacheco -12.71, Blanco – 1.80

Sprinfield: Jones – 3.68, Elledge – 3.68, Lacham – 15.00, Patterson 6.75

Memphis: Meisinger – 6.18, Shreve – 4.70, Layne – 5.14, Cervenca – 4.05

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s some trouble in the Peoria pen also. It centers around one pitcher in particular. Yesterday Seijas(not him) was sailing along with a 3-1 lead after going 6.0 inn. and he had struck out 9. Manager Erick Almonte brought Schlesener in for the 7th.

Schless had had two rough outings already this season. On 4/6 he came in in relief and pitched 2.1 inn. which took him 61 pitches… his line that day was 3-H 5-BB 6-ER and 3-WP. Loss #1. Okay, first full-season game…. maybe jumpy. Six days later he was called on to start the 1st game of a double-header on the road at Kane County. He didn’t make it out of the first, 0.2 inn. 2-ER 2-BB and a hit batter. The Chiefs went on to lose a laugher 12-2. Loss #2.

Back to yesterday. I’m sure that he was being watched closely when he entered the game in the 7th trying to protect that 3-1 lead against Clinton. Nope, didn’t happen… he had major problems again that lead to his third straight loss. He walked the four batters he faced and all four scored… 22 pitches, 6 strikes. He had blown the lead that led to the 8-4 loser.

Something is obviously wrong with Schlesener (the Community’s #82 +/- prospect.) This isn’t early season jitters anymore, this is serious. I’m not going to show his season’s stats because they are mostly unimaginable. This is not a condemnation, its pointing out a guy in trouble.

I think Jake, the 22 yeqr old 6′-3″ lefty, needs to find his way back to EST and to establish what is wrong and try to fix it. Hopefully, he’ll get some help and get back on his career schedule. He is a lot better than what he has shown.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Slight correction, Ny. Schlesener didn’t pitch in the double header. He pitched the day before on Friday. The double header was pitched by Aker and Cordero.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cruz’s stuff plays best as a reliever. He misses bats with a mid-90s fastball, slider and changeup. He’s pretty interesting.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Over the last 47.2 innings the Palm Beach starters have given up just 9 runs (1.70ERA). That’s what is making the PB-Birds such a force. ARondon was dominant again on Wednesday in picking up his third win in three starts.

Rondon(#35TCN) and Oviedo(#12) are the two youngest players on the team and this is Rondon’s 4th pro and age 21 season in the organization. His progress may be overshadowed by Oviedo’s, but Angel has already made six stops along his way and has stepped over a couple of other starting prospects already. He is a strike out/inning guy and IMO has raised his ceiling considerably. I would guess a 2021ish ETA is possible if his progress continues. Watch this guy…. he can dazzle.

The MEM rain out in San Antone has led to the Redbirds having to play a six games in 5 days series with the Missions (MIL) over the holiday weekend, with a DH on Memorial day. Four out of the five games against San Antonio so far have been one-run games with the Redbirds winning 3 of the 5.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am curious to see Pacheco pitch again. When I on MILBTV watched him he struck out 5 of 6 batters. In his last outing he had 3 perfect innings with 7 K’s. But he has lacked consistency, and I think just needs reps. His stuff is there, but like a lot of youngsters he lacks command. And Escobar appears to be continuing what he was doing in the GCL. I also like Tabata. These 3 ought to make a formidable bullpen by midseason. Escobar could be gone by then, as he could move fast.

I expect some changes if most of the minors bullpenners keep struggling. I also hope some of the injured folks come back soon, i.e. Gingery, Derian Gonzalez, Jake Walsh.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You can’t say enough about the Palm Beach starters. Last time through the rotation their Game Score= 60. The previous time through it was 58.4. In his 4 starts Rondon hasn’t had a GS under 60.

OVIEDO* age 21 GS avr=57.25 ERA=1.71 WHIP=1.24 oppBA=.241
    EGONZALEZ.. 22 …….52.75…..2.41……1.34…… .267
    FAGALDE…..25 …….65.75…..1.96……0.65…… .130
    DELLAVALLE..23 …….58.75…..2.31……0.99…… .238
    RONDON……21……..63.25…..2.08……0.83…… .123

As a unit 112Ks in 107.2 IP, 28 BBS.

I don’t recall a rotation top to bottom being this effective and dominant out of the gate (4 games).
    *I gave a GS for Oviedo in the game Gregerson started for 1.0 inn rehab.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Funny how with the big league team doing well the Nunez talk has almost totally died. I think there is a direct correlation.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Well, Nunez also hasn’t played in any games yet. So when he does, I’m sure he’ll be a focus for people here.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Funny how with the big league team doing well the Nunez talk has almost totally died. I think there is a direct correlation.”

Yeah, I confess I haven’t given much thought to Malcom N. over the first month of the minor league season. For me though, CC, it’s because there’ve been so many unexpected performances by prospects — both good and ill.

Much worse than expected: Reyes, Hudson, Montero, Urias, Kruczynski, Hurst, and Cabrera.
    Much better: Gorman, Herrera, Sosa, Edman, Rondon, Oviedo, Toerner, Whalen, Nootbaar, Julio Rodriguez, and Woodford sort of. Oh, and Jesus Cruz. Absolutely Jesus Cruz.

So there’s been a lot to take in, a lot to process for trends both positive and the other.

(Apologies to any overachievers I forgot. And if I left out any underachievers, you’re welcome I guess.)

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here are a couple of names that caught my eye as possible exceptions.

Nootbaar had five homers, but batted only .227 in April.

Montero started slowly, but was playing well the last 10 days before he was injured.

Cardinals Top 20 Prospects – Who is Hot and Not – 04/29/19

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am confused, CC. On Nunez (or anyone else in extended spring training), what talk would one expect coming out of camp? It is not like anyone is covering it. Oh wait, I will be there in about 10 days, so will have news… 😉

And how does an MLB team’s success (or lack of it) relate to players way down in EST?

I do think there is one correlation, though. The better Gorman plays, the better chance he has to be promoted. That means Nunez’ chance of being promoted increases, too.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

June 1st one of the starters at Palm Beach should move up when Roberts ends his suspension, which should help Springfield. Oviedo, maybe? In fact, that is the usual time for minor league player movement in general.
    I also wonder if this will be Dentons and Plummers last year in our system, They sure have not progressed. I keep thinking Plummer was drafted one spot ahead of Beuhler, But, as we know you don’t always roll sevens on your selections.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The 2015 draft will forever be known as the Correa draft.

It does look like Plummer and Denton are busts, but overall that was a great draft with Woodford, Bader, Hicks, DeJong and Helsley. That is an impressive haul – and a mix of high schoolers and college draftees, pitchers and position players. Though the high school position players is where he stumbled.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years