Watching our Farm System

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Watching our Farm System

This topic contains 54 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

There’s a sense that a number of the “Cardinal fans” are becoming interested in knowing what is going on down below on the “farm” and who will likely be arriving in St. Louis sooner than later.

The recent round of extensions plays into this. Which top prospects do we have that can replace which Cardinal players and at what positions… who will cover what positions and when.

With that in mind, this can be a place to drop off any notes or comments that involves our farm system. It will be a topic that not just “Cardinals Only” fans can get a better idea what prospects are progressing. The Gorman, Nunez, Torres, Carlson, Montero etc. stories have already sparked a lot of interest.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, just curious. Way back on the old board, you started a similar thread you called “Affiliate Observations”. When the new board started, I created the same thread here. It has been used for close to the last two years, and you posted on it as recently as three days ago.

Do you see this new discussion replacing that one? Or is there some implied difference between the two threads? Thanks in advance for clarifying.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Gorman(18) our #1 Prospect is crushing Full season A pitching and could make his way up to Palm Beach (adv-A) in the near future. Another prospect, Justin Toerner continues to impress in the PB lineup. That Florida State League is known to be tough on hitters. The underrated Toerner may be in line for an OF spot at AA Springfield where Scott Hurst is having a dismal start for the Redbirds. Perhaps a swap of the two will be forthcoming?

Some may be surprised at the Jim Voyle’s release. The 6′-7″ pitcher will be replaced by the 6’5″ Sabastian Tabata who is fresh off the IR. Tabata impressed many at the DSL level in ’18 where he relieved in 20 games. This is certainly a guy to watch.

Mike O’Reilly started vhis “comeback” last night with Springfield. O’Reilly wowed fans in ’16 and ’17 as a starter. In ’18 he was put in the Memphis bullpen and that move turned out badly for him. He was sent down to Palm Beach to work things out with little improvement. This latest assignment will be critical as he will turn 25 by season’s end.

I saw that the MLB top-30 prospect ranking added 1B Evan Mendoza#29 and 2B Mike Dunn#30 replacing the graduated Alex Reyes and Dakota Hudson, #1 and #4 respectively.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

A fresh look at the organization would be helpful to those that I stated above. I added additional info on the players to facilitate interest. (See GScott comments as an example). During the TCN prospect selections some participants confessed that their knowledge of the topic was limited at a certain point. (see that topic’s comments).

I will be commenting here with those fans in mind.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was wondering the same thing as Brian. Is thread different than “Affiliate Observations”?

Regardless I will chime in say that the obvious prospects of Gorman, Montero, Nunez, Torres, and Knizer are pretty much known to everyone and have been hashed out pretty good on this board.

Guys that are a little more under the radar that I like are Woodford, Shew, Fagalde, Nogowski, and Soler. All of those except Soler are blue collar overachiever types that every team needs. Soler has a lot of raw talent.

Also, Delvin Perez is hitting better this year so far. If he could hit between .250-.275 consistently that might be good enough for him to advance considering his other skills. I also think Justin Williams could be an asset in St. Louis at some point. I hope his hand heals soon.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Andrew St. John of VEB commented today.

Stock Watch

Rising: Brendan Donovan (2B/3B) – Feels good to get back to your roots. Donovan fits neatly into the modestly tooled, polished college hitter archetype the Cardinals have made a habit of unearthing in the mid-to-late rounds. He scuffled in very, very limited action after being selected in the 7th round last year, but he’s hit the ground running at Peoria. In 6 games, the lefty is slashing .409/.552/.591 and walking nearly one-fourth of the time.

Falling: Elehuris Montero (3B) – Don’t lambast me for overreacting to a slow start, I’m right there with you on small sample size skepticism. I’m not concerned for Montero in the long run yet and his stock in reality hasn’t changed at all, but there are alarming elements in his early profile. Before going 2 for 5 with a double on Thursday, he was going down on strikes at a 42.3% rate. That’s bizarre for someone with such well-developed bat to ball skills, and is worth watching.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

This is a good piece on that state of the organization’s left-handed prospects.

https://redbirdrants.com/2019/04/12/st-louis-cardinals-left-pitching/

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Given Montero is 20 years old at Double-A for the first time (after just 24 games at high-A), a slow first week (on the road) should not be concerning in the least. He is 5-for-12 in his last two-plus games with a homer, four RBI and four runs scored. Home cooking.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

…and Montero finishes Saturday with a two-run walkoff double. That makes six RBI in the last three games. He’ll be ok…

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Memphis got some offense going behind starter Arauz. 6 singles, 2 doubles and a walk led to the Redbirds putting up a snowman in the fifth. St Louis could have used the relief pitching that MEM got… 3 pitchers , 3 innings, 1 hit and 7 Ks.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It appears that Gorman’s homer yesterday was to dead center field. Kane County has a relatively poor TV coverage. Hit the ball on an 2-0 pitch. He appears to be doing a much better job of controlling the strike zone than last year at Peoria.

Cardinal Draftees looking pretty good so far this year. Again small sample.

1. Gorman – .395/442/868/1310 – Peoria
    1s. Roberts – ?
    2. Baker – .310/487/414/901 – Palm Beach
    3. Gil – EST
    4. Gingery – EST
    5. Dunn – 300/325/356/625 – Palm Beach
    6. Gonzalez – 7.2 ERA- 7 Hits, 3 E Runs, 2 BB, 10 K’s Palm Beach
    7. Donovan – 333/459/500/959 Peoria
    8. Nootbar – 235/297/559/856 Peoria
    9. Duce – EST
    10. Woodall – EST
    Others
    28. Toerner – 483/628/690/1318 Palm Beach. Also strong performance at 3 levels last year.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Avatar SoonerinNC.
    14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Well, well that Montero walk-off double has the Redbirds on a three game winning streak after losing their first seven. ps. I’m in the minority but I like the extra inning man on second, especially for the minor league teams on get away days.

ARondon pitched great again yesterday for the PB-Cards. He’s in his fourth pro season at age 20 and has hit every stop in the organization up to Palm Beach. Cutting down on his walk rate has helped his progress. He is also another prospect on the rise and will be exciting to follow.

Peoria’s P Cordero pitched 6.2 innings of the 7.0 DH-shortened game won by the Chiefs 1-0 on the Gorman HR. Its worth repeating that it was, newly promoted from EST, Tabata that was called upon to save the close game with a runner on base.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Very minor correction. Tabata made the Peoria roster out of spring training, but spent the first week on their IL.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

I forgot about that. He is actually the second player reinstated in the organization… Gyorko being the first. And I was thinking about that as I adjusted my rosters on that 10-pack day. Thanks BW.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While I am glad that Nogowski got promoted to AAA this year I am a bit surprised that he and Ravelo are both there since they are basically the same player.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

IMO, Ravelo is a better hitter and has an advantage since he can also play left field. Ravelo bats in the middle of the order, with Nogowski usually in the bottom third.

My guess was that it was between Nogowski and Mendoza to go back down to Springfield, but there was far more duplication at 3B at Memphis than at 1B. Plus this way, Mendoza can play every day.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

So, what’s the difference between this thread and the affiliate observations thread? All of the posts here seem like they belong in the AO thread but what do I know.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d say the main difference is that this thread isn’t broken…?

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Stlcard25, I don’t know what you’re talking about. The affiliate observation thread isn’t broken.

TheLonelyBull
    Participant

Free

The difference between the threads is that in this thread people are mentioning that thread, and in that thread people are mentioning this thread.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Touché, TLB!

Mrperkins
    Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Indeed. We used to nominate posts of the week here. That was befitting.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

I always like to see prospect’s better their numbers as they climb through the system. Johan Oviedo is doing just that early on and is now anchoring the Palm Beach rotation. He seems to be quite comfortable in his role there, as the 6’6″ 21 year old is putting up his best pro career stats. His command has improved as his BB rate has been improved and there’s no reason to think that will change during ’19.

After not dazzling the last few seasons with all of his potential, Oviedo is now in position to show what he has. Evidently some added maturity and playing in the more comfortable Florida State League, Johan is headed in the direction of more confidence in his second full-season go around.

Last season at (low-A) he struggled through April, and May was worse. But he balanced out his starts during the summer months and by the end of ’18 he was the starter in the Chiefs opening round of the play-offs vs. Quad City. He pitched 6.0 innings of a 3-0 win and put up a 69 Game Score.

In ’18 he pitched the entire season with PEO. and was 10-10 in 23 starts. His 1.54 WHIP was unimpressive and due in most part by 79 free passes in 121.2 innings of work. In 3 games this season he has walked only 5 in 16.0 innings. His progress should increase if he continues to hold on to his control.

At present Oviedo ranks at +/-#20 in most polls that I’ve seen including #20 on the latest TCN rating. His potential got him there and increasing his performance will no doubt boost him higher.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years