Wainwright’s late season problems + 2023 return

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright’s late season problems + 2023 return

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So, it wasn’t a dead arm, after all. He injured his knee and that caused a shortened delivery. Wainwright is sounding like a man who wants to come back next year.

Interesting that he took to social media to tell the story himself.

https://twitter.com/UncleCharlie50/status/1580215316344627200

Oliver
    Participant

Free

He is right we deserved better from him. I hope he retires but I doubt he will.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I enjoy Waino’s candor and sentimentally, would like to see him go out with a good season, get 200 wins, etc. But it’s pretty possible that the team is better next year if he retires.

Fwiw, I’m also firmly in the “don’t resign Quintana” camp. We’ve been burned by the resurgent pitcher resigning before. He may be good again next year, but the odds aren’t in his favor.

I’d be happy to see some new blood at the front of the rotation.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlcard25…I’m with you on Quintana. The Cardinals were fortunate and got plenty out of him in the second half. Much more than I would have expected. In Quintana’s case, I’ll cite the number one fundamental rule of gambling…Walk away winner. He’s too risky. I’m happy for Quintana and what he contributed to the Redbirds and he’ll undoubtedly get his nice payoff in the offseason, but let someone else sign the check.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am glad Waino clarified what was going on. That was not the story coming from certain members of the media or the team. Perhaps it is because he/they really didn’t know what was going on until recently, which seems to be the case. Regardless, I have always assumed he wanted to come back next year and I still feel that way.

As for Quintana, if the Cardinals were serious about going after a number one then I would say we don’t need Q. But if they are going to do their usual bargain bin shopping then I would most definitely be interested in bringing him back, at the right price of course. The last two years in a row we have began the season on a hope and a prayer with our rotation, only to be burned, with Mo having to correct it at the trade deadline. We don’t need to wait four months into the season to have a decent rotation.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…Well, that makes perfect sense. The Cardinal manager couldn’t discern what was going on with Helsley and it was right in front of his eyes.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1td…It was my impression that the team and the media were reporting the dead arm story because that is what they were getting from Waino. Same with Helsley. It was reported before Game 1 that he was ok and good to go. I am assuming that came from him.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…You may remember during the ’06 post-season that there was a question concerning Scott Rolen’s gimpy right shoulder. Rolen insisted it was fine, but Tony LaRussa wasn’t convinced and refused to place him in the line-up for what I recall to be the clinching game 4 of that years post-season vs. SD. There was some animosity reported in the media between the player and manager concerning that decision. What I’m driving at, is that LaRussa went with what he was seeing insofar as Rolen’s performance in the batter’s box and not what the doctors or Rolen had told him. LaRussa managed the situation, not heresay. In my view, it’s one of the many reasons he’s a HOF manager.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

You shouldn’t need this new take from Adam to know the Cards either had no clue as to why his performance declined (at best) or were being deceitful about it (at less than best). Ironically, Marmol’s quote a couple weeks ago telling people they don’t understand the nuances of dead arm and how to overcome it told everyone he didn’t have the slightest clue (at best) or he was just trying to fool himself and others.

Also, shortening your stride by a foot is enormous. How do Marmol and Maddux not notice that dramatic change? Especially considering the big clue of a batted ball off the knee immediately before the change in stride. C’mon, a stride shortened by a foot on a guy you’ve been watching for years isn’t some trivial minutia that should slip by a pitching coach and manager doing their jobs.

At face value, I wouldn’t mind having Adam back with the right contract for his expected level of performance. More importantly though, these physical issues are likely to only increase next season, which is now a much larger concern. That’s because I don’t trust Marmol and Maddux to make the honest and correct assessment with an iconic veteran like Adam.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino described all sorts of things about his delivery that were abnormal. I have to question why Maddux and others did not pick up on it immediately, especially with video.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

I came on here to write what Euro and BB just wrote (ok not as well but still). How could they not know? Why is the press not seeing this as a smoking gun for firing the whole pitching department? All the expensive technology and they can’t see a foot shorter stride on an injured player?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If his arm is toast, and he wants a shot at 200 wins, he needs the dead arm scenario to go away.

1982 willie
    Participant

I don’t know, seems kind of like a new excuse. When did they figure it out, his last start was bad. I’ve been on the side that waino should retire this year, should have made it a trio going out. Funny how just a year or two ago he was talking about hanging his cleats up and spending time with family. But now it’s Ive figured it out and I’m ready for next year.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Adam was throwing clunkers way before September. It’s possible both scenarios are true. The arm is dead and his mechanics are out of whack.

If they offer him another year, surely it’s a low base and incentive laden.

KylMss
    Participant

Free

He had some bad starts before September, but he was never consistently bad the way he was in September. He had one started in August and one in July where he allowed more than 2 runs. I think there is reason to believe Wainwright isn’t embellishing.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

If this is true about Wainwright and his stride, combined with the lack of help given to a Cabrera and Hicks with their flawed mechanics perhaps Maddux should be told to look for work elsewhere!

PadsFS
    Participant

jj-cf-stl

If his arm is toast, and he wants a shot at 200 wins, he needs the dead arm scenario to go away.

I wouldn’t mind him getting the Roger Clemens treatment, pitching in home stands to start the year next season. By June, they can kick it up a notch or he can retire. Clemens made over 15 starts those last two years.

After Wainwrights 5-yr deal ended in 2018 (his 4th straight sup-par season), he signed that $2M deal for 2019 for his age-37 season with easy bonuses that ultimately bumped him up to $10M. Signed a similar $5M deal in 2020 and another #8M deal in 2021 with bonuses.

I’d like to see them go back to something like that with a $3-5M base with bonuses kicking in like in 2019:

Games started: $500,000 for 5 GS. $1M each for 10, 15 GS. $1.5M for 20 GS. $2M each for 25, 30 GS.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You are probably right JJ. If so, I don’t know which is worse. Waino trying to change the narrative or Waino being transparent about the real issue and nobody picking up on it for over a month?

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

It’s shocking how many posters don’t realize how valuable a top starter on a one year deal is. Point out his flawed starts at the end and you are pointing at innings 175 through 191. How many other starters even got to 175?
    Add in his place in Cardinal history and I am appalled by anyone who questions the viability of bringing him back.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Nigel:

I’m sorry you are appalled. His place in Cardinal’s history means zero to me. He’s getting old and has most likely lost it. Part ways and move on to someone else.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards could and probably will bring him back on a 1 year deal, and it will probably be a bargain. Yet…if the team has designs on winning a title, is it best to go into October with some combo of Flaherty, Mikolas, Waino, Matz and Montgomery as your rotation when you’re gonna face teams with rotations fronted by Wheeler-Nola, DeGrom-Scherzer, Urias-Kershaw-Buehler, Burnes-Woodruff, etc in the years ahead? It seems like we are set on the innings eaters, but in need of an ace to carry a rotation through October.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s not like he’s blocking anybody.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We will likely go into 2023 the same as this rear, a laundry list of injury come backs and hopefuls, and wind up having to find half a rotation mid season.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

He most likely be back. He is 41 and he is not a top starter anymore. He did eat innings but that’s about all he brings to the table. I rather he retires but I wouldn’t be appalled if they bring him back.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Agree that Maddux bears some blame. Hard tô imagine though that after 20 years Wainwright didnt himself realize his mechanics were different

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.