Wacha removed from rotation – replacement is Cabrera

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wacha removed from rotation – replacement is Cabrera

This topic contains 52 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Assuming it wont be Reyes. Probably either PDL or Gomber?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

It was time. I’m not sure that Wacha has much value in the bullpen either, but he will play out the string at least. Ponce or Gomber can’t be worse.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wacha will do just fine in his new “mop up” role in the pen. Our new man has to be PDL…..not to be confused with PBR.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gomber is on the injured list at Memphis. Ponce de Leon is a five-inning pitcher at Triple-A who is walking almost five batters per nine innings.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why cant any of the Cardinal pitchers throw strikes anymore? Why do they all seem to walk so many?

WTH happened all of a sudden?????

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Maybe they put Gant in the rotation to see how he does.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Feels a lot like Ponce will get a shot for a turn or two while they get Reyes ready for the rotation.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hudson also go down and Gomber or Woody up to figure into solving the rotation issues.
    At lest we are seeing some dominoes falling.

As for Wacha I’m kind of wondering if he could thrive. Just focus on two pitches and get some confidence

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ponce should get the start next week. He has always performed rather well for the big league club despite what he does at Memphis. Woodford would be my second choice.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wednesday is Woodford’s day to pitch.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think PDL or Gomber should get first chances. PDL has never been given an extended chance at the job. Or now would be a great time to engage a trade for Madbum or Scherzer. It would be a great time for Reyes to stay healthy and live up to his potential.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt told the media that he will make the Wednesday starter announcement tomorrow (Sunday) and it will be someone from Memphis. That would seem to narrow it down to Woodford and Ponce de Leon. Ponce de Leon is currently the scheduled starter for Game 1 of Memphis’ Monday double header, so he would get a couple of extra days rest if he is the chosen one.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Step up to claim your prize if you saw this coming. The new starter is Genesis Cabrera.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Talk about a roll of the dice. I would never have pegged Cabrera to get that spot. Maybe the staff really thinks he’s gotten things straightened out, or they want to give him a challenge. Then again, he seems the most likely option to stretch the bullpen if things don’t go great.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Strange. I guess they really wanted a lefty for a turn. Ponce and Woodford and Shew and Gomber have definitely earned it more than Genesis.

He has good stuff. He has had 2 quality starts recently.

It will be fun to watch him extended though. I haven’t seen him since Spring training in those short stints.

I’d guess it’s a one time thing. And then they switch to Gomber or Ponce for a while until Reyes is ready. But ya never know.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I always wondered if he wasn’t tipping his pitches. Poor command and tipping lead to bad outcomes,

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Like the tweet above says, Shildt said it will NOT be just for one turn – if Cabrera pitches well. A tough debut in Philly ahead.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right. I just wonder how bad it has to go for it to be one shot.

We’ve had some ugly first timers and some amazing first timers.

Here’s to Genesis being a great one!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We could use a pleasant surprise. We have had enough of the other kind.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

This is a team without direction, a team that doesn’t have a plan, and a team without accountability from the front office on down. They are enabled by an excuse-making faction of the media that covers it and amazing fans that love their team and will be loyal no matter what. Those fans deserve better than what they are getting.

Seeing Cabrera in person will give us a nice view of the panic trade that was made a year ago to acquire him. They guy we traded away is playing at an elite level, and Cabrera was a large percentage of our return for that.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed that unless Williams does a 180, which is impossible to do from the IL, it seems that Cabrera will be the primary take from the Pham trade. I am curious why you call that as a “panic” move, though. That is a label I haven’t seen attached to it before. Seems to me that the trade may have helped both parties.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am very surprised they chose Cabrera for Wednesday’s start. Frankly I don’t expect it to go well but I hope I am wrong.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Making his MLB debut in Philly against one of the NL’s best teams is a tall order. It is a risk, but I give them credit for trying something different. Wacha clearly wasn’t getting it done.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years