Thinking about 2020.

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Thinking about 2020.

This topic contains 49 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by LouBrockFan LouBrockFan 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well I do believe fowler will be back cause he has had a decent bounce back year, my feeling for him aside. I don’t want him at center. he gives up enough singles in right because he has to play so deep. hell be one year older next year, he might be up against the wall starting out. I wouldn’t mind resigning wieters but with his showing this year, I think he will get a better offer than the cardinals will want to pay. im not big as a lot are on some of these young outfielders. arozarena should get a chance to make the club though hes just about average on defense but at least hes average. I would trade oneil. Thomas I would like to find a bench spot for. Carlson probably needs one more year in the minors. personally I would lean toward getting rid of carpenter cause I feel he son a downward trajectory but I don’t see them doing that.

GACard
    Participant

Free

I am on the page of move Wong, shift Edman over, and sign rendon

Absolutely nothing against Wong but I just think it would look great. Just doubt that would happen

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

GAC, I agree with you, but the bats are so bad they do need a major shakeup. Unfortunately, Carp and Fowler aren’t going anywhere which is $35M.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Rendon is going to sign for a very big number, and as great as that would be, I’m afraid they won’t be a preferred destination or not willing to pay the going rate.

Donaldson and Moose will be free agents and Moose will likely sign for less and is left handed. Due to the left-handedness of Moustakas, I think I would prefer him to slot in at the 4 spot and play 3B.

Thoughts on what he will sign for and is actually a realistic target for the Cards? 3/51M is my random guess.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thoughts on what he will sign for and is actually a realistic target for the Cards? 3/51M is my random guess.

He will sign for 2 years and $25M. I really really really really really really hope it is not with St Louis.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We should have acquired Moose two years ago when the very astute Brewers did. However I don’t see Moose, Donaldson, or Rendon in our future. Carp will be at 3B, Wong at 2B, and Edman in LF or RF with Fowler taking the other spot.

jim
    jim
    Participant

Free

Fowler at leadoff strikes out 12 times over 3 games? We need a leadoff hitter. Fowler ( like many on this team ) have more Ks than hits. It hard to watch…

LouBrockFan
    LouBrockFan
    Participant

Free

The old basketball ABA called. They said they would trade a washing machine for Junior Fernandez.

I say pull the trigger on that one as fast as possible.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The old basketball ABA called. They said they would trade a washing machine for Junior Fernandez.

I say pull the trigger on that one as fast as possible

Why is that? Other than his rough outing in Arizona, he’s been fine in St Louis and had a good year in the minors. I feel like this is your second time ragging on him so what’s the explanation?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Now hold on there, stlcard25…. ABA? It just may be one of those red, white and blue washing machines we’re talking about here. I really like Junior Fernandez. Except for Hudson, nobody really looked good out there last night. The guy who really has me concerned is Gallegos.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

People are naive if they dont think Cecil will be on the opening day roster if healthy. He would have to.have a worse than mediocre Spring not to. A wobbly Spring will be written off as rust. He may not last but he will be there in the beginning.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Stlcard25, may I ask why you’re so against Moose? I think he’ll get more than 2/25M. If it’s 2 yrs, I’d guess in the 34 range. He’ll only be 31 going into next year, has put up 3.3 bWAR, .850 OPS. If he would take 2/32 I would join that bandwagon in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I just don’t see them being able to outbid AND convince Rendon to sign with the Cards.

LBF, I also don’t understand you’re wishes to dump Junior, is there something we don’t know about?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The chances of Anthony Rendon signing with the Cardinals next year have to be less than 1%. I am not sure why we are spending so much time talking about him. He will sign with the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, or Nats probably. He will get a monster contract, something like 6 years $180M. There is no way the Cardinals do that with all of the other big salaries next year, plus Carp will be the starting 3B. Book it.

Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Free

I would like to get a solid leadoff hitter like Lindor, a solid starter like Madbum.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Getting Bumgarner should be the priority.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

GameCard, what about trading from the OF depth to get Matt Boyd and then trying desperately to fix the lineup? Asking for a friend….

LouBrockFan
    LouBrockFan
    Participant

Free

Junior’s career ERA in minor league ball is around 4.22 if I recall correctly. That is not impressive.

Is this one of the forum’s where blind loyalty is expected and legit criticism of players, Shildt, Mozeliak, etc is not allowed? Real fans can express valid criticisms and not have it considered “ragging.”

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

junior is ok but he isn’t above criticism. as long as miller is in the bullpen, im not sure anything can save it.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Junior’s career ERA in minor league ball is around 4.22 if I recall correctly. That is not impressive.

Is this one of the forum’s where blind loyalty is expected and legit criticism of players, Shildt, Mozeliak, etc is not allowed? Real fans can express valid criticisms and not have it considered “ragging.”

You don’t recall correctly. It’s 3.57.

What you did was not “valid criticism”…but at least your beginning of this post was an attempt. Most people look at rookies and expect that they’ll struggle a bit but typically don’t jump straight to “throw that guy away” after one bad game.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I don’t think Bader is going anywhere. He may or may not become a hitter. If he were to hit 250, he would be the best hitting outfielder on our team that is starting. He is the only outfielder capable of playing defense. He isn’t even arbitration eligible for another year or so. With Ozuna and Fowler hitting in the 230-245 range and lazy in the field, you want to bench Bader for 210 with 12 HRs? Strikes out too much, which makes him a perfect fit with Fowler and Ozuna.

Arozarena has shown me enough. He can hit more consistently than Fowler and can field better. He goes in for Fowler. We have two more years of $16.5 million of Fowler. Nobody will want him in a trade. I guess we have a very expensive bench warmer. Hopefully, we learned from this one. Just because they signed one of ours—–

Ozuna hasn’t been worth it. He won’t be. He is a defensive liability, sometimes an embarrassment. I can’t believe the pop flies that he can’t reach. Doesn’t judge balls well, in the field or at the plate. All about his RBIs. Not helpful in moving runners along. Let someone else have him. Isn’t there someone in the league or minors that can hit 265 with 15 HRs and a few doubles, without the Ks.? We can live with Carp in left better than Ozuna for a year.

We keep Edman at third and Wong at second. Defense is important. Edman is better than Carp at third. Wong and Bader are our two best defenders.

We have DeJong until 2024. Rather expensive. I would feel a lot better if he would strike out fewer than 125 times in a year and get a few more RBIs. We may have fallen too much in love with his power. He can disappear in the lineup for a week at a time. Fairly decent fielder. We should settle for him for now and let him grow up. He is only three years into a career, and only 25. He may become a hitter we can count on. Let’s hire a pitching coach who hates Ks as much as I do.

I would love to see a hitting coach come in and teach some guys to use the entire field. If you can be victimized by a shift, you need too learn to hit. Good hitters hit more than HRs, and they hit them to all fields. Used to love to watch Musial hit it wherever, or Cepeda kill it to right center. You knew he was in a groove when he hit it to right center.

I would like to retain Wieters because we need a replacement for Molina. He isn’t 25 any more. He can’t continue to catch every game forever. We don’t have anyone else ready.

If someone wants Jose Martinez, O’Neil, Munoz, or Sosa, I would trade any of them for an 18-year old with promise. I don’t see any of them becoming a full-time starter. I don’t want Munoz or Sosa in the field at any position. I think more of Martinez as a fielder than I do of Munoz or Sosa.

If Gorman can learn to field, he may be here by 2021.

Pitching. Leave it alone. Don’t get excited. We have enough. I don’t know of anyone I want who is worth the price. I would like to find a home for Miller. Who likes older relievers?

How close is Carlson?

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you look at this years team vs last year the stark difference is much better defense and base running and somewhat better pitching, particularly the bullpen in spite of recent difficulties. I assume the difference is at least somewhat due to Shildt’s idea of how the game should be played. I don’t buy the common assertion that the front office controls who should play.

The players who most do not fit that profile are Fowler, Ozuna, Carpenter and J Martinez. Ozuna is easy. Offer him a qualifying contract and get a draft pick. He could well be one of those who has a hard time doing better but I think he would go. We cannot afford a leadoff hitter that fans four times in a crucial game. Or any hitter. The 26 man roster in the future will alleviate the Carp problem a little bit and he does do some good things off the bench.

I say go for Rondon. I don’t buy that St. Louis would not be attractive for him. He is from Texas and could well be weary of the bright lights and coastal elites. Edman has had a great year and one of the few who is playing championship lately but he does not profile as a third baseman offensively. Maybe it is time to let Wong go in a deal while off a very good year.

Fowler is more difficult. Maybe it is time to eat a contract as we did with Leach and get at least a low level prospect for him. I believe on his brief play so far that Arozarena is ready for the bigs. He has some pop and has shown good plate discipline, good defense and a great throwing arm. Add to that a real breakthrough year in the minors.

I think no way Cecil makes the team next year. That is a contract we will eat. He was on a pretty big downtrend when we signed him just as Miller, Holland, Gregerson and others.

O’Neill and Munoz have been a non-factor the last two months, but I would not move at least O’Neill until spring training. You need patience with young players. Add Adolis Garcia to that list.

Alex Reyes is a real X factor. If he is right he would be our next Flaherty. If not he will be a non-factor again.

LouBrockFan
    LouBrockFan
    Participant

Free

Actually, I had seen Junior’s RA per 9 which is 4.32 in MiLB.

His overall record in MiLB is an uninspiring 20-19.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=fernan000jun

We’ll see what he does in the spring in Florida.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by LouBrockFan LouBrockFan.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fernandez has closer material stuff. He needs to be put in games in low leverage situations for now to get his confidence back next season. Right now, I see Cabrera on the playoff roster, and Fernandez a close call depending on how many position players they carry. I would rather see Fernandez than Leone, or Mayers.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You have to ignore Fernandez total minor league numbers. He was initially a hot prospect because of the 100pmr heater. He struggled but developed a very good changeup.

2019 is the only year that counts for a prospect like him. Very high upside took time to develop but came to fruition this year. Pitched at 4 levels and excelled; even some good outings at St. Louis. Just not ready for high pressure situations. Like most young pitchers tries to do too much, loses command and throws a fat one. Now is probably in his head.

LouBrockFan
    LouBrockFan
    Participant

Free

Best to be worked out starting in Florida in the spring… not in Atlanta in October.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years