The time for change is now – Gorman and Liberatore up

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum The time for change is now – Gorman and Liberatore up

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Gorman will be okay to start with, it’s how he makes adjustments to the pitchers once they find his weaknesses. Then he’ll have to adjust again. We’ll see.

I’m very impressed with Yepes and his ability to make adjustments during an at-bat. I noticed today he abandoned his wide 2-strike approach stance. You have to wonder why anyone would tinker with what’s working well but he does soak up Pujols’ dogma like a sponge. We’ll see if he continues to “choke up” with 2 strikes.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It’s got to be DeJong ho gets dfa’d doesn’t it? With both Donovan and Gorman, the infield is getting crowded.

Gorman is a bit of an enigma – great talent, but all those Ks at AAA is a concern. He will be a player, but early on in his big league career he could struggle with quite a few golden sombreros. Gotta be patient with talented guys who are working through the growing pains.

Libby seems like he will be up and down some before he is here foe good.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I’ve always been a firm believer in you can take a contact hitter with true bat to ball skill and develop power (like Carpenter), but you can’t take a raw power hitter and develop contact. I also think the ball needs put in play and a K doesn’t create offense. Why I’ve always liked the guys like Edman, Donovan, still believe in Carlson, think Burleson has a bright future. Even if power doesn’t develop, like I don’t expect 20+ out of Edman or Donovan, the bat to ball still plays. All of this is why I never was a bit of a believer in O’Neill and really question Gorman. Although what I’ve seen from Gorman he is much more “smooth” than O’Neill, which gives me more hope, but still think we’re getting Brandon Moss and people are going to be really disappointed when that’s what he is when they’ve heard all this hype expecting 50+ bombs and the savior. Same as fans were happy to see JD Drew go when he was a good player and so many other examples around the league this top 100 hype brings.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman has struck out 23.7% of the time in Memphis. Even extrapolated out, that’s plenty fine at the big league level. He’s not going to K as much as O’Neill, long term. We have no idea what the mindset or the marching orders from the big league team were at AAA this year, which is why I think it’s not useful to simply knock the K rate this year and make long term judgments. He was obviously tapping into his power and I would bet he will have a little less power and a little more contact at the big league level. I’m thinking 25-27% Ks long term with 25-30 HRs. If his walk rate is average or better, that’s a good bat to have.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

6.75 years ST25! Gomez needs to be in Memphis

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very exciting times for us Cardinal fans. But, as with young prospects, patience will be required.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So Liberatore will be taking Hicks place in the rotation? If so, that should shore up 2 areas, Liberatore should go deeper in games than Hicks, and Hicks is better suited to the pen.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

As long as Edman’s plays every day then I am fine with it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder who is going to be removed from the 26 man roster to accommodate Liberatore? They could send Walsh down although my preference would be to DFA McFarland. Hitters are batting .373 against him this year. That is scary bad. Of course the Cardinals would have to eat the $2.5M and they don’t like admitting mistakes.

I suppose Edman will be moving to SS. We will see how they goes. One thing for sure is that Edman doesn’t need to hit leadoff. He has proven time and time again he can’t do it. His average has plummeted this year since being inserted into the leadoff spot. Frankly, Donovan looks like the better hitter right now.

Bob, I have been preaching the same thing with Pujols. For an organization who claims to use analytics I will never ever understand why they keep running him out there against RH pitchers. The only thing I can figure is that they are hoping and praying he will hit a few homers so they can hype the run to 700 and sell more tickets.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

my worry is that we are looking to kids to solve problems…that just doesn’t seem the best environment for young players to be forced to be the solution…. too much weight on their shoulders IMO

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager, when exactly would be the best time to bring them in? After we are already out of the playoff race? I’d argue that it’s the mentality of “let’s take pressure off the rookies by patching with veterans” that’s got us in the predicament. I’m not sure the Cards made any signing this off season where we wouldn’t have gotten better production for cheaper off the farm.

bccran
    Participant

Interesting to see them change on the fly. Pretty soon all but Goldy and NA will be youngish position players. They’re probably looking at the success of Yepez and Donovan, and saying why not?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Since the players that are already in the majors aren’t getting the job done, what does it matter if we rely on the youngsters. If anything, having Arenado, Goldschmidt, Edman, Molina/Knizner and Carlson makes it easier on the youngsters. They don’t need to carry the team. They just need to supplement what’s already there.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years