Reds Fire Price

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Reds Fire Price

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Reds certainly will need to bring Senzel up soon, if nothing else so the fans have someone to get behind as sort of a “face of the franchise” type guy.

They also may need to step out of their comfort zone this winter and go big after one of the marquee free agents, like Harper or Machado. As the saying goes, desperate times call for desperate measures.

It’s weird – it just seems wrong that the Reds are a poor club, and the Cubs are good. After living a lifetime where the reverse was the norm, it seems like the earth has tilted off it’s axis to have the Cubs a premier team and the Reds a laughingstock ball club.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well the Cubs have a gazillion more dollars of revenue than the Reds. They just finally have a front office and ownership group that knows what to do with it.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread the Reds have had a serious attendance problem for years. They seem to have the worst fan support in the NL Central by far. The days of the Big Red Machine are long gone. Personally, I think going after Harper or Machado is the last thing they need to do. They should try to trade Votto for elite young prospects, see if they can offload some of Bailey’s contract to someone, and build from scratch. They have some good young pieces on offense but their starting pitching is AA quality.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

if Joey Votto were a FA next year and he produced the SAME line as last year, what would his contract be? As a 35 yr old would he garner a 5yr/125mm contract? I cant see anyone giving him 5yrs and if they did the AAV would be significantly lower.

So im not sure this continued line of reasoning that the reds could get pieces, or elite prospects for joey votto. In my opinion they would be lucky to dump his salary in full, and im sure they would like to.

I went to college in ohio and lived in cincy for a short time. Id categorize them as HUGE sports fans, but there is no doubt that ohio is a football state. That being said i think they can and will draw if they begin to compete, theres just no reason to fork over hard earned dollars for the product they are putting out now…

Participant

The Indians are taking over the fair-weather fans in Ohio. Wearing a Cleveland “C” cap is a whole lot better than wearing the Cincinnati “C” or the little, running baseball man. The fans in the mid-state areas are more apt to travel to Cleveland for a game these days. Anyway, Cincinnati has been turned into a disaster zone that fans don’t want to visit.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hate to see the Cincinnati Reds down like this. This was once a proud, and highly respected, franchise.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree with you, mud. I didn’t like Selig overall, but I give him credit for consistently pushing for more parity across the game. (Though his tactics at times were terrible, such as contraction!)

Parity clearly does not seem like a priority for Manfred, who seems more interested in minor items like pace of play.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t like Manfred at all. There are about 10 teams or so who have intention in fielding competitive teams which is hurting the product much more than mound visits.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I sure wish Price would have been fired after Sundays game. Seems like teams get a bump, temporarily from a firing, even a bad team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Votto is getting up there in age no doubt but he came within two points of winning MVP last year. He is still one of the top 10 players in the game and I have no doubt there would be many teams line up to trade for him if he would waive his no-trade clause.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This list of 10 things the Reds should do comes from my friend Doug Dennis, who lives in Cincy and is a writer for BaseballHQ.

Participant

Free

Well I actually had to google TOOTBLANs to see what it meant.

Participant

Free

Well I actually had to google TOOTBLANs to see what it meant.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The wins all count, but this Reds team is historically bad.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

ill jump on the iglesas thing 100%, if hes still on this team next year i dont even know what to say…

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years