Reds Fire Price

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Reds Fire Price

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Riggleman spent a number of years in Cardinals player development.

I agree with this sentiment. But they probably feel like they need to do something to appease the fan base.

Participant

Don’t rouse a sleeping dog, we’ve got three at home with them this weekend. Its not a good team at all and it might be in the MIA and KC class right now. The franchise is in trouble with low attendance and a market that is slipping away. Their fan base is still solid but is getting disenchanted with the re-build, and with limited resources the climb back to respectability will be a long one. Its not a good time to be a Red’s fan.

Price didn’t have a chance of success but is taking the fall.

Participant

Free

You give a coach ZERO talent and wonder why he can’t win and then fire him. This is 100% on front office maybe they need to be fired!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, the GM is the owner’s son, so that idea seems pretty remote.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

somebody listed vegas odds for 1st mlb manager fired a few weeks back somewhere, think price was 3/1…

Participant

I went back and checked…. you were dead on with Price at 3/1. Melvin was also 3/1 and Showalter was 3/2. Those are accurate odds if they’re coming from Vegas… you know…. $$$$ at stake.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully the Reds don’t rally around the new guy this weekend. They can at least wait for the next Cubs series. ?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Reds organization has struggled for awhile now. Pete Rose should have been their “Stan the Man”, and a beacon around the organization that helped keep fans interested and talking Reds baseball through good years and bad. But he has such a toxic personality, that it ended up greatly tarnishing his life and legacy.

Johnny Bench still appears now and then, and Tony Perez is back with the organization. They need to keep those guys around. Then they need to put together a solid scouting/draft team and acquire top prospects.

Another “must do” is to try to get a haul for Votto from a contending club this summer.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I predicted this firing last week. It is certainly no big surprise.

Farrell is now a Reds scout so he is already in the organization so I would think he would be a strong candidate. Girardi can get a better job than that by just waiting a little longer. Another name to keep an eye on is Barry Larkin.

Participant

Free

“Another “must do” is to try to get a haul for Votto from a contending club this summer.”

votto will be owed 125m over the next 5 yrs remaining on his contract starting after this year..

he will be 35 years old, i could see someone taking that contract on if he continues to produce at the same level this year, but can you really see them getting anything significant from a trade in terms of prospects? I think the time to trade him was a few years ago…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Further, Votto has full no-trade protection, and at least to date, has been very clear that he will stay put. It is also worth remembering that he had anxiety issues in the past and the comfort of playing in a lower-pressure, smaller market may have a positive impact on his results on the field. Maybe that is more important to him than chasing a ring.

As TLR often said, “They are men, not machines.”

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I agree on both points about Votto. Get what you can for him now since he doesn’t figure into any future success. But they might not get much for him now since he turns 35, with the time to have traded him being 2-3 years ago.

Their rebuild doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. Its been going on for, what, 3-4 years now, and they aren’t even really close. Injuries haven’t helped, but it just seems like the prospects they acquired haven’t developed.

r/Rat

Participant

Remember JASON LARUE

Bad Karma:
    Remember BRANDON PHILLIPS
    Remember JOHNNY CUERTO

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good takes on Votto. Not sure how realistic it is to get some guys with good potential for him, but they need to keep that as a priority and constantly be on the prowl to see what might be a possiblity. If the Rockies have a chance to win their first division title later this summer, I would think they are a potential. Add Votto to that lineup and it could be downright scary.

But the Rox are not a big-payroll organization, so they would be tough to deal with in this situation.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Speaking of the front office, the Reds have the best 3B prospect in the game, Nick Senzel, sitting in Triple-A. The Reds starting third baseman, Eugenio Suarez, goes on the DL with an injury. So what do they do? They play the likes of journeymen Phil Gosselin and Cliff Pennington at third instead. (They are both hitting .136 this season.)

Edit: I forgot the other third baseman. Alex Blandino is batting .059.

The reason? It appears that it is to try to keep from having to pay Senzel as a Super Two player three years from now. Manage his service time.

So sure, fire the manager. More and more fans are smart enough to see through this kind of stuff.

Participant

Free

Most true fans understand the art of the tank at this point, I totally get the point about senzel, and yeah its obvious, but more than likely bringing him up wouldnt change the fact that they are a last place team. One thing that could bring the more casual fan to GABP are the prices, like busch they are egregious, especially for a midwestern city. Although im sure they employ someone more intelligent than myself who would disagree!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

IMO, a exciting young star has potential box office and ratings appeal – if he shows he is ready – even on a bad team.

Participant

Free

here’s a question brian, and im not trying to make a point just curious…

Being much more than a casual baseball fan yourself, if you were a reds fan, and not a cards fan…would you want them to bring senzel up this year so you could see him? Knowing that it would start his clock and POSSIBLY hamper their payroll flexibility a few years down the road when you are hoping they could contend?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

grays, my answer is “yes”.

There is no free agency impact either way since Senzel started the season in the minors. The only matter is the potential to have to pay him four years of arbitration salary instead of three. That one-year salary delta would not hamper the franchise’s financial picture.

In my view, the potential gain outweighs the cost.

By the way, I would not answer differently based on team focus.

The only argument I could accept would be if he is truly deemed not ready by their player development staff. I would have a better read on that if I covered their organization as closely as I do the Cardinals. But even so, it is not unusual for a prospect to not dominate his first time up. And if he is sent back down later, the service time clock stops.

Participant

Free

Senzel needs some time at AAA.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is what Price (who?) said this spring when they sent Senzel down.

“As far as strike zone discipline, his feel for the game, his instincts on the bases, everything to me was really, really good,” Reds manager Bryan Price told MLB.com. “It was an outstanding effort in everything he does, from his early work to his game prep to his game intensity to how he runs the bases. Nobody here is disappointed at all in any part of his game. Now it’s a matter of getting the reps in that he’s not going to be able to get here.”

“He’s got to be ready to play any place but first base if we have an injury or setback,” Price told the site.

Well, they had a major injury at his position. Let him show what he can do instead of the Reds playing clearly lesser players at 3B.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The Reds are the perfect example of a team that tanks wrong. They’ve been in this “rebuild” for several years and have nothing to show for it and what really got me was the team’s announcement that they had the talent to compete. Like what are these guys smoking or drinking? All one needs to do is visit the Reds fan forums (Redszone for example) and you’ll see their fans aren’t dumb and they can see through the team’s lies.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Terrible timing for this! Well, there goes our sweep this weekend…..right on down the drain. I think we still take Cindy 2-3, but no way we sweep. I don’t think a manager of a MLB team had EVER lost his first 3 games, when hired after the season began. Think about it….. I don’t think it’s ever occurred. Emotions ( whether good or bad) and adrenaline run high with managerial mid-season changes. And when those two things merge, increased athletic performance is a certainty. The only difficult aspect to predict is how long the improved play will last. Well last week at this time if someone had told me we’d take the Reds six out of the next seven games, I would have jumped with joy…..7-7 would have been mighty sweet though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years