Thank You Brian/Flaherty and social justice

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Thank You Brian/Flaherty and social justice

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Your site has not only provided a lot of good things about the minor league system but has also far exceeded the official Cardinal site as far as major league news is concerned. Thank you for that.

I miss Jen L.

By the way, if you do any more “Blasts from the Past” you may want to consider Austin McHenry. I read somewhere a few years ago that had he not had the brain cancer he may have been Hall of Fame material.

(Moderator note: The title of this thread was updated to reflect the change in direction of the discussion.)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thank you, Sooner. An important part of the site is the community discussion here, and all of you participate in that.

In case she does not see it, I will let Marilyn Green know of your request. Even though the Monday StL Notebooks are primarily back on the main subject, she always finds time for a Blast from the Past at the end.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I second the sooner comment. Thanks Brian.

I’ll be watching for the McHenry story Marilyn.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks should also be shared with Derek Shore, Blake Newberry and Leonda Markee. In addition, I had a good roster of local team reporters ready to go, but unfortunately, they were some of the many casualties of the cancellation of the minor league season. Still, our goal remains to give you new and original Cardinals content every day.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Any chance you’ll have someone in Springfield if there is any press access given?

bccran
    Participant

Great site, Brian. Thank you for all your efforts.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC asked:

Any chance you’ll have someone in Springfield if there is any press access given?

Yes, Derek intends to be there if we are allowed.

P.S. It may get down to whether teams want to have media relations people there. As I see it, they would be needed to coordinate locally even if Zoom was the only direct access to coaches and players. Having someone to also monitor the pressbox for media shouldn’t be a big deal. They will have the testing facilities already there, and would just have to add a handful more names to the list.

But I am not paying the salaries and making the decisions. I just hope they don’t pinch pennies while cutting off more fan access (via the media) at a time baseball badly needs more attention, not less.

I hope my fears are unfounded, but in most matters, there are few if any sitting with the decision makers who make the minor leagues a priority.

Trying to leave on a positive note, since Springfield is team-owned, their baseball operations employees may still be paid rather than furloughed, though that is just speculative hope.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

TCN is a place where you’re always sure to get high quality Cardinals news without the loud ranting and raving that seems to be so prevalent elsewhere. So for that, I thank Brian for setting the tone and the other writers who are providing excellent material daily for us in this baseball starved time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I ditto everything in this thread. This is the premier Cardinal site by far.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This is indeed a great site, with solid information and without the “ax to grind” attitude for the most part.

Tagging on to Austin McHenry and what could have been, I tend to link him together with catcher Bill Delancey. Delancey looked to be a potential Hall of Famer with the Gas House Gang. In that magical 1934 season he was only 22 years old, and had an OPS of .979 (152 OPS+) in 93 games. The lefty batting Delancey split time with veteran Spud Davis, a right-handed hitter during the season. With the Tiger pitchers being right-handed, manager Frank Frisch then used DeLancey as the catcher in all 7 games of the World Series.

But like McHenry, his health failed and he died far too young.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I certainly agree on this being a premiere site for Cardinal info and am happy to see it is politic and religion free. But with Jack Flaherty and other MLB players trying to use their status as endorsement of political causes it is going to be hard to avoid a mention here and there. I am disappointed with him seeing the need to air his personal feelings on a controversial subject far from baseball. Be that as it may we will survive and I do learn more from TCN than the MLB or Cardinal MLB sites.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I touched on Flaherty’s social cause comments in the Camp Notes thread, but did not dwell on it. As I noted, other writers wrote extensively on it, so folks more interested can easily find very specific and detailed articles on other sites.

I have found that those with very strong opinions are not always tolerant of others’ views and I don’t want to take time away for our baseball coverage to deal with personal squabbles about non-baseball matters. Other sites have different rules, but we have been consistent for years and years and I do not plan to change.

For the vast majority of you who respect your fellow posters, I thank you. For those who try to push the boundaries with your personal commentary, please don’t do it here or be prepared to be cut off quickly.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Everyone has a right to their opinion, and should respect others views. But we are here to talk Cardinal baseball, and that pleases me to no end.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the news that away games will be handled remotely from St. Louis by cards broadcasters, it seems reasonable to expect that they will not be the only press expected to do remote pre and post game interviews.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I have found that those with very strong opinions are not always tolerant of others’ views and I don’t want to take time away for our baseball coverage to deal with personal squabbles.

Oh I agree 100% Brian but it is those ‘personal squabbles’ that can hurt a sport. People taking their positions as a podium to spew out their views on all subjects is generally frowned upon as in what Hollywood people do. I just do not want to see the sport divided because of some outside influence but that may not be avoidable as NASCAR will soon find out.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy wrote:

With the news that away games will be handled remotely from St. Louis by cards broadcasters, it seems reasonable to expect that they will not be the only press expected to do remote pre and post game interviews.

No matter where the broadcasters or the media are, the protocol is the same. From the Operations Manual:

“No broadcasters are allowed on the field or near Tier 1 individuals.” (Players and coaches are Tier 1.)

“All pregame and postgame interviews will be by video conference or telephone call. There will be no direct access to on-field personnel.”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My comments about “personal squabbles” directly reference behavior here on this board. None of us can control what athletes do or say and how that may impact a sport. To the extent happenings affect the game on the field, it is fair game here. One such example is COVID, but only in the context of sports. But if it is wearing signs or protesting during the anthem, for example, we should just stay clear. In Flaherty’s case, I reported on his remarks as a part of a daily report, but what you or I personally think of them (agree or disagree) we should keep to ourselves while here. I hope that clarifies.

bccran
    Participant

I would generally agree, but will Flaherty’s remarks affect the fans attitude toward him once fans are allowed back in the stadium? And if it’s not a good scene, will that influence the Cardinals re a possible a trade?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you really think a very, very high percentage of Cardinals fans will do anything but cheer Flaherty, well, I know how well you know Cardinals fans, so I cannot believe you would think that. Sure, things could change between now and April 2021, but where he is now, fans will be supportive. Winning teams don’t trade away their best player. That is silly talk.

P.S. But if they DID trade him, then you WOULD see the majority get angry. Really angry. Like the potential for Steve Carlton for Rick Wise level of anger. And it would most likely be justified.

bccran
    Participant

Probably depends on how deep he gets into this stuff. If he becomes the lightening rod for social issues among MLB players it could change things a bit.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The subject came up at work today where we are not allowed to display political type messages. A guy said if you are in a privileged enough situation to be able to do it while others can’t, doesn’t that make you an example of the problem. I wasn’t sure what to say. These are strange times.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I will say this of Flaherty – it all depends. If he can stick to baseball and to the high level of expertise that he has I will be a solid fan. Most Cardinal fans have probably heard nothing of his current views so I have no doubt he has not lost many fans. But if he wants to go Hollywood (actors think their opinions are valued) I will move on from him in a heart beat. There are some talented actors I never watch because all I can see is their silly political views on the screen. I only hope our country can get it together before I assume room temperature. PLAY BALL – I bet we can’t even sneak in and watch the taxi squad….LOL

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m just wondering…. now that Flaherty has made his stance public will other players be judged by not following his lead? Come on guys just play the game.

bccran
    Participant

Does anyone know if they’re going to play the national anthem at major league gameS, even with no crowd present?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I do not know, but even if they do play the anthem, the (TV) audience will probably not see it. As I recall, in normal times, pregame talk or commercials run instead during the anthem, with the exception being the playoffs.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.