Stubby Clapp future

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Stubby Clapp future

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As far as I know, and if the Cards haven’t made an offer (which is very difficult to find out now). Nogowski, Tovar, Mejia, Layne, Mujica will all be minor league free agents. To me, Layne would be a priority resign if possible. I believe Brian will put out an article in greater detail once we are closer to the Rule 5 draft. There have to be a number of minor league free agents we will be interested in also. I have long been a fan of picking up via Rule 5 starter who has had a moderate success, possibly moved to relief role gaining velocity, and also requiring less pitches.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Clapp is not a finalist in Toronto, which seemed to be his best chance. Though the Texas job has not been filled, I’ve seen nothing more on that rumor. My money is on Clapp becoming St. Louis’ new hitting coach.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article220180920.html

Participant

Paid - Annual

This sounds like very good news about Clapp. If he is added as a hitting coach they will still need a 1B coach though.

I’m rather impressed with the big league staff that has been put together for 2019 even with the loss of Oquendo. Of course Oquendo will still have a vital role in Florida.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, I am not wild about having a less experienced bench coach than the new manager. But Shildt apparently wanted his own guy in Marmol over Warner. None of them had any MLB experience, but Warner has a decade of minor league managing at least. Across the game, it seems like experience is less valued these days, whether in the front office or on the field.

It will be interesting to see who will become the other new coach. Bringing in outsiders seems only a last resort (Maddux), but sometimes fresh ideas can be good, too. In their mission to promote from within, the organization seems fairly insular. With his formative years as a coach having been in other systems (Houston and Toronto), Clapp has more outside experience.

As we learned in 2018, even Oquendo could only do so much with the fielders. Too many people bought into the story line that he would become a miracle worker. The best way for the Cardinals defense to get better is by making defense a higher priority in player acquisition.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As we learned in 2018, even Oquendo could only do so much with the fielders. Too many people bought into the story line that he would become a miracle worker. The best way for the Cardinals defense to get better is by making defense a higher priority in player acquisition.

Absolutely! I think run prevention should be just as an important mission of the offseason as adding a big LH bat. It is also why I’m not nearly as fond of Munoz as some are. Yes he can hit and play 8 positions but he is a butcher defensively. I still prefer Garcia as the backup infielder. If we want to improve our defense we need to see less of JMart, Fowler, and Munoz.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So, you have decided Munoz is worthless defensively at all six positions he was used at? Or might he be better if focused on the middle infield, where he has the most experience and the best minor league results defensively? Putting him in the OF over O’Neill seemed especially ridiculous and playing him at 3B over Gyorko was not much wiser.

Garcia’s offense has gotten worse every year, so with him reaching arbitration, he should be going the way of Daniel Descalso this winter. Munoz deserves another year, IMO, and very soon, there will be other UT infield choices in Sosa and Edman if he cannot cut it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Actually I thought Munoz’s best defense was in the OF but even that was suspect. Yes, the tea leaves seem to suggest that Garcia will not be back next year. I’m just saying that I would think long and hard about choosing Munoz over Garcia if we truly want to value defense but considering the offensive capabilities between the two and the fact that one of them is entering arbitration it is obvious which way the Cards will go.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think the problems with the defense are far more serious with the starters than with the reserves.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes but Munoz was a borderline starter this past year. He played in 108 games with 293 AB’s. Maybe he won’t be in 2019 if we have fewer injuries.

Participant

Free

Stubby interviewed in Toronto today. Doh!!! I jumped the gun on that one. Best of luck to him.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is the original source as far as I can tell. A few hours later, he refuted his own rumor after asking Stubby.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As Brian alluded to last week, Clapp is apparently under consideration for the Rangers job. According to this article he has had phone interviews.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/10/the-rangers-managerial-search.html

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for sharing, gscottar. For those who want more info, here is the original article, which MLBTR only briefly summarized.

It is fortuitous that the Rangers are having front office meetings this week at their base in Surprise, Arizona, since that is where Stubby is managing this fall. Hard to imagine they would pass up an in-person interview when he is already in the same complex.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article220511105.html

Participant

Paid - Annual

Stubby was a ’96 Texas Tech product and drafted by STL in the 36th rd. that year. So there’s a Texas connection.

I couldn’t help but wonder about his 1 major league RBI:

Sept.28th at home vs. PIT. Cards won 14-3
    PH for Renteria in the bottom of the 8th
    Ground ball single to right off Omar Olivares to score Craig Paquette.
    Erased on the next play, a GDP by Matheny
    Wore #29 during 2001 season.

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

Jim riggleman not returning to reds organization. I’d love to have him on the coaching staff and he has cardinals ties.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Monthly
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Albert has a long history with the Cards. He went to the Astros with the Luhnow group. Smart guy.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years