Stubby Clapp future

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Stubby Clapp future

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It would be nice to have Clapp on the St. Louis staff next year in some capacity but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him land in Toronto. They will have a managerial opening very soon.

He might get consideration in Texas too.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

According to this Toronto Star article, Clapp is among nine candidates they identified, if the Toronto job opens up.

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8869117-blue-jays-making-list-of-john-gibbons-potential-replacements/

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Link wouldn’t open. Is this a possibility based on real reporting or some guy just spit balling because Clapp is Canadian?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The link works fine for me. Richard Griffin has been the Toronto Star’s baseball columnist since 1995. Whether he has any inside insight to the managerial hiring process, I don’t know. After all, there isn’t even an opening yet, but the article seemed well-written to me. I don’t post garbage here. Hoping you have a better day!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Clapp’s nationality is the reason the Jays are interested. He used to work in their farm system so they know him and he has recently proven to be one of the top managers in all of the minor leagues. The fact that he is Canadian might be a little bonus for the Blue Jay marketing department but I doubt it is the main reason they are looking at him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Skeptics can decide for yourselves if Nightengale is credible.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Clapp should have been our manager in ’19. Naturally the FO screwed up and signed on Shildt. Where’s all that managerial magic now????

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A reminder why the Toronto job is not a slam dunk for Clapp. Notice David Bell among the candidates.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Toronto just might snatch Clapp away from us. I doubt that they would have even considered Shildt.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

It would really be to bad if the Cards lose CLapp….imho would be a major mistake on stl part

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Back in the day I feared the Clapp.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, who cares to speculate if Toronto would have been interested in Shildt or not? He did not work for them like Stubby did. Anyway, I cannot see how that matters for the St. Louis Cardinals one iota.

Onyx, how would you suggest the Cardinals avoid this potential “major mistake”? Forbid Clapp to interview for a promotion? Fire Shildt after an overall good debut?

This reminds me a bit of the grousing about Voit. There wasn’t a fit for his role, so why try to hold him back? Wish him well as he furthers his career elsewhere.

In other cities, staffers move on to take on managerial/head coaching jobs all the time. Here, people seem to want to hold onto them. One of my long-standing gripes about TLR is that over three decades, he almost never groomed future managers.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some people just arent satisfied about anything.Some of you people would bitch because Jesus waited 3 days to return and didnt return sooner.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Shi Davidi’s article on October 12, 2018:
    “SURPRISE, Ariz. – The Toronto Blue Jays are finalizing a list of candidates to interview in-person for their managerial opening after holding phone conversations with a host of potential suitors in recent days.”

From the following article by Shi Davidi on October 13, 2018, Stubby Clapp says:
    “I haven’t heard anything from Toronto. It’s been all rumours.”

Taking this at face value makes one wonder whether or not Clapp is being considered.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-good-reason-consider-clapp-next-manager/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For example… Dave Martinez, Joe Maddon’s prior bench coach, is managing the Washington Nationals. His current bench coach is receiving multiple interviews.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Richard Griffin was also the well respected P.R. man for the Montreal Expos for many years. He’s certainly well connected in baseball circles from both sides, so if he says Stubby is being considered, then Stubby IS being looked at as the next manager of the Blue Jays.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Clapp will be given a job on Shildt’s staff if he does not get an MLB managerial job. Two spots are open – first base coach and hitting coach. Clapp’s greatest experience of any job before becoming Memphis’ manager was being a minor league hitting coach.

jthunder93
    Participant

Free

I’ve been saying this for a while, but I see him taking a route like Andy Green did. Managed in the minors in Arizona’s system, then was their 3rd base coach for a season, and then was offered the Padres gig. Stubby, I believe, will have a role with the big league squad and then will be offered an MLB managerial position for the 2020 season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Doesn’t look like Stubby’s future is in Toronto. Hurray for our side!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Clapp had a much more difficult 2018 season on the road to a AAA championship. Constantly losing players to the big club, and thus a much different type of team at the end of the year. I will be sorry to see Tovar, Mejia, and Rangelo go, but at least they are replaced by some very good prospects like Young, Sosa, Edman, and Thomas.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Cardinals27, do you know who all our minor league free agents will be this off-season?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.