StL 2019 Game 98 thread: Sat 7/20 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 98 thread: Sat 7/20 at Reds

This topic contains 51 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 858booyah 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Saturday, July 20 6:10 p.m.
    RHP Miles Mikolas (6-9, 4.15) vs. RHP Luis Castillo (9-3, 2.41)
    FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Castillo had been excellent this year for the Reds, and has been dominant at home. One thing he does not do, however, is manage his walks well. 4.5 per 9 is not great.

Mikolas could really help the team with another outing like his last…the bedraggled bullpen will have a few unavailable players, in all likelihood. I wonder if they’d consider a Memphis shuttle move some time in this stretch?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I was thinking about Memphis, too. The only 40-man roster options are Helsley and Webb. Webb went 1 1/3 last night, but Helsley is well-rested and is scheduled to start tonight for Memphis. If they want help now, he would be the guy.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Helsley would be ok. Has Mayers been pitching? I’m guessing some of the B bullpen will have to carry the load. Leone and Shreve should be available. Not sure if they’d have Wacha go two in a row. Gallegos and Brebbia should be a go. Maybe Carlos but his shakiness makes me nervous.

Bottom line…the bullpen needs the starters to be efficient.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I was just going to post about Mayers. I think they are delaying because of the need for a 40-man spot. He also pitched an inning last night.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FO may be waiting for a late July trade to clear out a spot on the 40-man for Mayers.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Or waiting for guys to get off the IL to DFA them.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Happy moon-landing day!! 50 years! At that time the Cardinals, expected to win their 3rd straight pennant, were a disappointing club as it looked like the Cubs had replaced them as the NL powerhouse.

That Cub club had five future Hall of Famers, if you include their manager. Meanwhile the Cardinals had lost their swagger from the previous two seasons; they had no Cha-Cha.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is a handful of players on the IL that are candidates for a DFA.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Well, looks like Mikolas is up against their ace tonight. If he just imagines he is pitching at home he should do ok. Castillo has been on a strike out tear, 10ks in 6 innings last game against the Cubs. Best way to approach that is usually to wear him down. Lots of full counts, foul balls take your time. Looks like their relief is their weakness so we gotta turn it on in the late innings today. Go Cardinals!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am almost ready to give up on Leone. Our former future closer doesn’t seem to have a role, and has been largely ineffective. I would love to add Fernandez to our mix. after that, getting a reliable second lefty could make our pen one of the best in baseball.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Now that Urias if off the IL, could he not be DFA’d?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, Urias would be a prime candidate currently.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Or waiting for guys to get off the IL to DFA them.

There is a handful of players on the IL that are candidates for a DFA.

I’m curious who (other than Cecil) you guys are talking about. Plus DFAing Cecil doesn’t open a spot anyway, does it, since he’s on the 60-day? I count 40 guys on the 40 man in addition to the three guys on the 60 IL.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if you ranked the last few 40 man spots would look something like this:

40) Robinson (Edman has proven himself valuable enough to make Robinson redundant)
    39) Urias (Robinsons injury puts Urias on the bubble)
    38) Shreve
    37) Leone
    36) Sosa

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I hinted, Helsley is being called up. Sosa is returning to Memphis so they are going with a very short bench.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully they can steal this game. And as a friend of mine pointed out, I hope the 12 runs scored last night are a trend, and we won’t be shutout 3 games in a row.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I mentioned the Memphis shuttle yesterday. Looks like Helsley is the answer.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Do the Cardinals have small planes to get players to and from St. Louis, Memphis, or other places? Or do these players drive themselves?

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And on the strength of homeruns by Tatis and Machado the Padres have an early 3-2 lead on the Cubs.

And now the Cubs plate a run in the last of the 3rd to tie the game 3-3.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cubs win again today and now 7-1 since the break. Can we keep up?

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Single, K. DP. I have learned to hate that sequence.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

I watched the cubs finish today and Kimbrel got the save. Kimbrel appeared to possibly be wild enough to lose it, but the Padres insisted on giving him the save. Tatis sac bunted into a pop out to 3B after Myers walked, a real head scratcher for me. He bunted a high and inside pitch that would’ve made the count 2-0. Then Myers was thrown out stealing. Next, Kimbrel walked yet another batter (Margot) before getting Machado to line out to end the game.

So yes, the cubs are rolling now. Can the Cards keep up? Not if they keep wearing these yucky sissy blue uniforms.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Runner on third, and Goldschmidt strikes out. THEN, we get the fly ball. That was an important run to lose.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Looks pretty even so far!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years