StL 2019 Game 78 thread: Sun 6/23 vs. Angels

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 78 thread: Sun 6/23 vs. Angels

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Agree that Carp NEEDS to sit. If you’re not going to sit him, bat him 8th

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even Gant is struggling tonight. Maybe Albert will hit a grand slam for his last at bat in St Louis. I would rather it be a triple play. Ha

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

0-2 and the Angels put it in play past Carp and put the game away. Carp, take note.

GACard
    Participant

Free

I’m so sick of our pitchers throwing balls in the zone 0-2

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Time to watch an episode of Barnaby Jones.

r/Esteemed Rat

colhusker
    Participant

Free

0-2 and the Angels put it in play past Carp and put the game away. Carp, take note.

Spot on.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenter had a runner on third with less than two out twice during this game. Driving those runners in would have made this a tie game up until the ninth. I was shocked when MO gave this player an additional $38M to stay around through 2021.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, I turned it off but got sucked back in just in time to see the Dejong groundout. If not for that bad top of the 9th, the Cards might have pulled out a win. 9-5 on the long stretch against bad teams.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards mounted a ninth-inning comeback, but lose 6-4.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Well DeJong on the home stand hit below 0.050 – ouch.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

It is time to sit Carp. Can the rookie play third? Carp needs a month off. Unfortunate that Gant had probably his worst outing of the year.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

God has left the building. God was praised. Life as we know it can now return to normal.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Remember Diz wrote:

<Can the rookie play third? >

Sure wouldn’t hurt to see if he could. Seemed to play 2B ok. Maybe he could come up with a new edible (Edman’s Edibles) to replace the salsa and crunch. Yairo also years for 3b playing time.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I see that Edman has played third at Memphis and Sunrise, never having made an error. Seems like he is OK in the infield, although a bit weak at SS. If we want to remain in the race, we may need to replace Carp. He is no closer to working out his problems than he was in April.

If you examine everyone’s stats in baseballreference.com, you have to wonder if we wouldn’t be better with Wong at about fifth with Bader being given the opportunity to walk more in front of the pitcher. It is useful to have Bader on base.

At 33, I’m surprised that Carp isn’t adapting. Should have learned to work his way out of slumps. But, the shift seems to have him buffaloed. He pops up a lot if he goes to the opposite field. He may be a permanent 215 hitter at this point. Anything we can get for him might be worth it.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Usually in this game when you have men on base, even with two outs, and your leadoff hitter is coming to the plate you have some hope of scoring. Not so any more at my house. Shifts and lousy launch angles make for poor leadoff hitter. Last night I was mildly surprised to see Bader batting 7th and Wong 8th. Harry’s son is a terrific CF but needs to round up some putty to plug that hole in the bat. Maybe more Edmonds time is needed – seems to help him and Jose.

Biggest slam of the night – the ESPN broad saying that Jose has a bad arm. She needs some video of the throw from RF to 3B on the fly to nail a runner.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To clarify, I have nothing against Pujols. I always thought the decision he made was mutually beneficial for him and the Cardinals.

I just get a little tired of the STL media getting so distracted by “side issues” that having nothing to do with winning the NLC. Winning the NLC is what I am focused on. How can we get past the Cubs and Brewers? Anything else is just a distraction which is why I am glad this Angels series is over and the NHL season is finally over and the salsa is over and all of the other stuff. What will they focus on this week? Maybe it will be that Kris Davis has had the same batting average for five years in a row.

Having said that it is apparent that the reception Pujols received has been warmly received all across baseball so I guess that is good. Maybe it will help us attract more free agents someday.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Honest question: do you feel like the broadcast team’s and the local media’s focus affects team results? That seems really odd to me.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m just glad the whole pujols thing is over with. Molina was making me ill… way too cheesy.

The whole infield is underwhelming us. Throw in Fowler, Molina and Ozuna and there is little to get excited about except for JMartinez. I can’t wait for his turns at bat… he’s a favorite in my house.

Mozeliak words are not encouraging… he gave out to many contracts to players that have gone South or just treading water. He won’t allow the big $$ guys to not play so I expect more of the same dull team to finish out the season.

For the last FOUR seasons the players he thought would turn the team around have let us down… as of now, just a bunch of mediocre guys that keep us in the league with some competitiveness. This team is stale.

I don’t know what they saw in Shildt… same blah, blah, blah, being careful not to step on any toes. I don’t hear anything innovative or any imagination coming from his mouth. He’s like a lost soul.

Carpenter still leading off? Too many wasted at-bats for the lead-off spot. Goldschmidt won’t hurt us defensively but is looking more timid at the plate nearly everyday. Too many players playing like they are putting in time waiting to retire with a bunch of Mozeliak’s 401k contributions in their pockets.
    Our FO isn’t going to win any awards for what they consider to be an “all in” effort. Not even close.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Having said that it is apparent that the reception Pujols received has been warmly received all across baseball so I guess that is good. Maybe it will help us attract more free agents someday.

A nice thought gman but maybe too much of a stretch. Players don’t want to see a sea of red, they want to see a sea of that old DeWitt green. It’s just the way it is nowadays. The game, the tradition is for the fans to glean through. The players just wait for payday. Sad, right?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I go to a Cardiopulmonary Rehab exercise program three days a week. A lot of other old farts like me also attend and there are about a dozen Cardinal fans and one or two Cub fans. I was not really surprised today when the topic of conversation was the reception that Pujols got. Of the eight Cardinal guys and the lone Cub fan that were there today, ALL said they got sick of the Pujols attention with every single at bat and all of the special programming devoted to his visit. They all agreed that AP is a great ballplayer who did great things in St Louis but, as one guy said, he would have been booed if he came back the year after he left.

I was happy to see Albert be recognized but also was of the opinion that it was starting to border on being idolized. I don’t think he asked for any of it but was happy to see what came forth.

For me the bottom of the ninth inning was more entertaining than the rest of the game. Good hitting and lucky hitting almost overcame that slow offensive performance. I bet I wasn’t the only person who was thinking that if DeJong could only hit a dinger the Cards would have actually won the game. So much for dreaming. They took the series anyway.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Honest question: do you feel like the broadcast team’s and the local media’s focus affects team results? That seems really odd to me.

Hmmmm…interesting question. That wasn’t really what I was getting at but it is an interesting thought.

I would say probably not but if the media is continuously highlighting puff pieces and feel good stories that have little to do with what is going on on the field then it can take pressure off of the front office. However, if the on the field product is the focus (good or bad) then that could in theory give the front office more to think about. It may be nice to think that the front office personnel sit up in their ivory towers completely impervious as to the pulse of the fan base but I doubt that is the case. You can only stare at a spreadsheet only so long.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Honest question: Does anybody actually pay serious attention to those cheerleaders in the booth? It’s so rare that they stop babbling about non-game nonsense to bring real insight to the play in front of them.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

When does Trout’s contract expire? I had the impression that about half of the show put on for Pujols was an encouragement for free agents to go where they are appreciated. They emphasized Pujols influence over Trout, and they gave Pujols a welcome that I have never seen for another ex-free agent for any team. It was almost like they were trying to get Pujols to talk Trout into coming to St.Louis where baseball is appreciated.

I thought that Molina was brilliant in how he managed the crowd and the situation. It was almost like Mr. Cardinal was making a pitch for free agents to come to St. Louis. You don’t even see retired Hall of Famers get that kind of reception when they return to the parks of the team they represented in the Hall. They may get a standing ovation for a minute—once. Certainly, not four times per game for a weekend.

I don’t know that it is worth as much as an open checkbook, but some may be influenced by their lack of appreciation where they have been. Seems like Harper never gets his due.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When does Trout’s contract expire?

After the 2030 season. $426M between now and then.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.