StL 2019 Game 67 thread: Wed 6/12 at Marlins

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 67 thread: Wed 6/12 at Marlins

This topic contains 55 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by BlackHillsCard BlackHillsCard 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:10 p.m. RHP Miles Mikolas (4-6, 4.54) vs. RHP Jose Urena (4-7, 4.70) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX

Mrperkins
    Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Think I read Urena not going to make this start. Ah yes. Urena to DL, Yamamota, who was acquired in Yelich deal penciled in to make is major League debut.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Oh no! The dreaded “MLB debut RHP,” the Cards’ true Achilles heel.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Yep, pitcher rookies are truly the Achilles heel for the team but I don’t think the fish have that good of a rookie crop. The fish do look truly bad – almost as bad as some posters have pictured the Cardinals. We play in the toughest division in baseball this season.

Wonder why this is another 6:10 game on a getaway day. Schedulers strike again but they probably figured that if the Fish only get 6k to a night game they might get only half that to a day game.

Dave
    Participant

Free

We were clicking on all phases of the game last night. Hopefully that continues at least enough to get us a sweep before heading to NY.,, where I’d be happy with a split.

Dave
    Participant

Free

The irony with our lack of offense in the last few weeks is that June is our best month record wise to start out with. 5-4.

Dave
    Participant

Free

It is hard to sweep a team esp on the road but I say we get it done today after a sluggish start, We get single digits in hits but make the most of it. 5-3, Redbirds.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Would Shildt dare put out a Sunday lineup?

Dave
    Participant

Free

I can see a Sunday lineup being it’s against a rookie pitcher making his mlb debut and giving some players a little rest before facing DeGrom tomorrow. It would not surprise me to see Munoz in right, maybe even give Edman a start.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I can see some changes but Yadi is rested and Carpenter was off last night. Is the rookie right or left handed? Might make a difference in starters. DeJong had a day off recently but didn’t seem to make much difference. JMart finally got a hit last night and I hope he can get back to his .300 average soon. The fish are a weak team but those are the kind you have to beat if you hope to stay alive for the post-season.

I am starting to wonder about Wieters and how long he will last as Yadi’s backup. After seeing Knizner I think he would be good for backup duty next season.

Dave
    Participant

Free

Yamamota is a rhp.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In all honesty would our “Sunday lineup” be much less productive than our regular lineup? It’s not like they would be replacing a bunch of .300 hitters, of which we have exactly zero.

Dave
    Participant

Free

Perhaps they give Goldy the night off and put Carp at first with Edman getting the start at 3rd.
    Not as a permanent thing, but for a few games, I’d like to see Schildt put DeJong at lead off.

Dave
    Participant

Free

Good point gscottar.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Edman needs multiple ABs in a game…i say go with a mix and match and give Goldy a day off

Munoz RF
    Fowler CF
    Ozuna LF
    Wong 2b
    DeJong SS
    Carp 1b
    Edman 3b
    Yadi C

not in that order

2 switch hitters
    2 lefties
    Carp and Ozuna and DeJong for thump
    Yadi’s contact
    1 wildcard….Munoz…but you could put Bader in CF and shift Fowler to RF obviously…just depends on the type of wildcard you want…id be happy with either

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with all of you here. I think Munoz needs to play more, Edman needs to play more, and I wish we could jettison a couple of our OF’s so O’Neill and Thomas could play more. We need to get younger and more athletic.

I would also like to see Bader hit leadoff. I know his OBP isn’t great but neither is anyone else we have tried at leadoff. His speed would be nice at the top of the order. I think he hit leadoff in college at Florida.

Dave
    Participant

Free

I think Bader would be a good lead off because the bunt is always a possibility, but it has to be more than 1 game. At least try it out for a week and see the overall results. Maybe even switch it up where Wong Leads off against righties.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Not as a permanent thing, but for a few games, I’d like to see Schildt put DeJong at lead off.

Uhhhhh……..Dave, after reading this comment may I ask what insane asylum you escaped from?

DeJong cant hardly hit the ball, why would you want him at leadoff????????

Dave
    Participant

Free

Here’s what I see our lineup for the future being. It may be a couple years but here it is

Bader cf
    Edman 2b
    Goldschmidt 1B
    O’Neill Rf
    DeJong ss
    Thomas Lf
    Munoz 3b
    Knizner c

Rotation
    1 Flaherty
    2 Hudson
    3 Wacha
    4 Gant
    5 Reyes/ Gallegos

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Bad news from Colorado. Cubs look like they are going to win the finale after losing the first two. They are up 8-0 in the 6th. But now they have to go to L.A. to face the Dodgers for four games. They could lose three of those.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~who is honked off because his dealership said it will be another 7-10 days before his new 2019 BMW 540i arrives now.

Dave
    Participant

Free

Of course you may ask me Ratsbuddy. I didn’t escape, I was allowed early release for good behavior. My reasoning for putting DeJong at lead off wasn’t a permanent thing as I stated in my post. It was temporary in hopes he would find his stroke again like he had in April. A lot of Managers over the year have tried it and the results have been positive so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Bader cf
    Edman 2b
    Goldschmidt 1B
    O’Neill Rf
    DeJong ss
    Thomas Lf
    Munoz 3b
    Knizner c

By the time Carp, Wong, Fowler and Yadi are gone, I’d hope Dylan Carlson will be up and Gorman, Montero or somebody would be pushing for 3B duties.

Dave
    Participant

Free

That would work too. Whatever lineup gives us the best chance of winning. There’s many possibilities but it’s all about who can Stay healthy, and perform when given the chance.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Doesn’t look like a getaway lineup today

Dave
    Participant

Free

Not at all stlcard25. I think this is the lineup we can expect for the rest of the season with some occasional spot starts here and there. Perhaps facing the hapless Marlins, coinciding with Molina’s return is the jolt we needed to get our offense going again.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years