StL 2019 Game 65 thread: Mon 6/10 at Marlins

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 65 thread: Mon 6/10 at Marlins

This topic contains 70 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Minuteman3 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:10 p.m. RHP Michael Wacha (3-2, 6.30) vs. RHP Sandy Alcantara (3-5, 3.80) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX

Dave
    Participant

Free

We will play the Marlins 6 of the next 10 games. Unfortunately a series win or even a sweep wont say much because it is after all the Marlins… however it can be scary because anything less than a series win will tell a lot about our team in a negative way, unfortunately. The upside though. perhaps these games against the Marlins will be what we need to play loose and get our bats going. Other than the win, I will be looking for some key things in each game that will confirm my confidence that we are just going thru a mini slump and we will pull out of it. For tonights game, it will be how Wacha pitches and his control.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe that this start for Wacha may be the most important for him career-wise. Here’s hoping that he can get it done. A turnaround for MW would be huge for this team. I can’t see Carlos returning to the rotation but stranger things have been happening.

Dave
    Participant

Free

actually its 7 of the next 11. The next 25 games heading into the ASG, are against teams with records of 500 or below, of course that could change win we play them. None of them are against the NLC, so my hope is that we can play loose, get our bats going, restore confidence so we can make that push in the final month. Only time will tell though. In these next 25 games,I can see us winning at least 16.

Dave
    Participant

Free

Good point 14NyquisT. If Wacha can get back on track, it will be big for us. Hopefully we can get him an early lead.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have very little confidence in Wacha but at least he has a shot against the hapless Marlins. I am glad they had the decency to not make him a sacrificial lamb at Wrigley.

I would like to see CMart back in the rotation. It does no good to build a stout bullpen if we can never give them a lead because the starters and offense aren’t doing their jobs.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even though there are quite a few games against teams with <.500 coming up, you can’t dismiss if we end up winning a lot of them. Consider the Cubs have played 31 games (15-16) against teams with a winning % over .500, the Brewer have played 29 (14-15) and the Cardinals have played 41 (18-23). It wouldn’t take much to draw closer to the Cubs and Brewers if they have to play teams over .500. As a matter of fact, the next 7 games for the Cubs are against teams that are currently over .500.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would like to see CMart back in the rotation. It does no good to build a stout bullpen if we can never give them a lead because the starters and offense aren’t doing their jobs.

Same. Before the season, I was very worried that the rotation would crush the chances of a run. My assumption before 2019 was that it would be something like Mikolas-CMart-Flaherty-Wacha-Reyes by this point, which could have been a plus setup. Then Cmart was hurt, Reyes couldn’t get it together and the other three have all regressed. We have been left with Waino holding onto whatever he has left and Hudson pitching about like expected. Even in AAA, Gomber has been hurt, Ponce has not been that good, and besides Woodford, no one has looked like they are ready to step up anytime soon.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree forsch. A win is a win no matter who it comes against. We need to rack up some wins against the Marlins and Mets this week if we want to stay in wild card contention. I’m not even thinking about the division. We aren’t on the same level as the Cubs and Brewers.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How do you make Martinez start when he does not want to? He is worried about his shoulder.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought I read where CMart said he wanted to be in the rotation or at least planned to be later in the year.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Martinez does not want to start this year due to his shoulder, he should be the co-closer with Hicks.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Thankfully ESPN has had their fill of Cubs/Cardinals. Next week it is Cubs/Dodgers so we get a break from playing a Sunday night game and then flying half way across the country to play the next day. Boy A-Rod and crew were really gushy on the boys from the ivy lined toilet bowl.

Nine hits – one run – lost game EOS same-o, same-o

Worst thing to happen in the past 24 hours – not the Cards loss; not the Blues loss; it was TCN going down before my first cup of coffee this am. I have sworn to stop reading TCN the day after a loss but it is sort of like driving by a bad car accident – you just can’t help looking.

I tried to post earlier that me, the #1 Cards fan, actually predicted a Cubs sweep, but only to my wife and she said I was crazy. I think these guys have a mental block when playing at Wrigley. But then they seem ot have a mental block at a lot of places lately.

Springfield seems to have a system: win one, lose 6, win one, lose multiple more. Guess they won’t be in the playoffs either this year (or Memphis).

OK, enough steam blown off. Back to watching my new fence being installed – replacing the one the tornado flattened in addition to other things. Be sure to keep good insurance because fences don’t come cheap any more, especially when you are not able to install yourself.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Cubs have a tough week. Three at Colorado and then four at Los Angeles. 2-5 is a possibility for them. If we can handle the Marlins and Mets we can get real close to the Cubs and Brewers.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~who is still waiting on his BMW 540i

Dave
    Participant

Free

The lack of confidence in Wacha is understandable based on his performance thus far but he is also capable of turning it around too.

Dave
    Participant

Free

I’d be happy if we gained 1 game a week in the standings. Heck even 0.5 game would put us just 3 out by ASG

Dave
    Participant

Free

We all have opinions including me as to what our team needs to do to turn it around, and all good ones from everyone but mostly what we all have as Cardinal fans is the patience and confidence in our boys to figure it out and turn it around. And if they want to use some of our ideas , then that’s fine too

Dave
    Participant

Free

Ok, so now back to opinions and ideas. I feel putting Cmart in the rotation is not the way to go at the moment. Maybe after the ASG. I would think about Gant or Gallegos. I realize that weakens our bullpen a bit but it may be worth a try.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Because its sports and I’m feeling very down right now after last night I completely expect Sandy Alcantara to throw a no hitter against us tonight as a way to mock all of us.

Dave
    Participant

Free

Hopefully our boys can lift your spirits tonight BlackHillsCard with a victory. I think it’s a better chance of the game being sold out than Alcantara pitching a no hitter.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Dave
    Participant

Free

Top 5 bold predictions for tonight’s game.
    1: Carp will reach base 3x
    2: Ozuna will go deep.
    3: Schildt will not pull Wacha after he gives up a hit.
    4: there will be under 10k in attendance tonight.
    5: We score 7 runs.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I really dislike that expression to “figure it out” as concerns baseball players. Managers and coaches waiting until these guys “get it figured out.” What’s to figure out. There are no big secrets here. No puzzles. Most of these guys have been playing the game since they were eight years old. They are now professionals at the top level of their profession. Nine guys really shouldn’t need to “figure out” how to win a baseball game. I’ll tell you what most of these guys HAVE got figured out: If they win a game or lose a game, if they finish the season below 500 or 30 games over, they are still going to collect their millions.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I never have liked Miklasz. But to say the Cubs ’embarrassed’ the Cardinals is ridiculous. They beat the Cardinals but if every loss is an embarrassement then maybe that is accurate. What was he writing when the Cards swept them in Busch the previous weekend. Some of the scribblers I can appreciate but, for most, it is just a job where they have to produce to get paid and some of the stuff they produce (especially in the off-season) is just flat out baloney. Then they like to rate things like how each team scored in their draftees. Who really knows the value of a draftee until they reach the majors (or shine in the minors) – just more blather from scribblers. They remind me of the so called experts who rate cities or states for ‘best’ this or that and then those cities push it on their news and the scribe earns a buck or two.

Play Ball – GO CARDS.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years