StL 2019 Game 53 thread: Tue 5/28 at Phils

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 53 thread: Tue 5/28 at Phils

This topic contains 39 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Avatar NJ315 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After Monday’s day off…
    6:05 p.m. Adam Wainwright (4-4, 4.82) vs. RH Nick Pivetta (2-1, 8.35) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We catch a break on Memorial Day as the Astros, without George Springer, down the Cubs 6-5.

Reds lost the first game of a DH to the Pirates 8-5.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Appreciate the updates, Esteemed Rat! I guess today was a pretty fair day for our Birds in that we actually picked up a little ground on our Central divisional foes, with the exception of Hader and The Crew. I know we Cardinal fans feel terrible with the direction our team seems headed for, but how would you like to be a Mariners fan. Starting the season with a blistering 13-2 mark had to have had their fans thinking grandiose things. They’ve gone 10-30 since……brutal!

Hey Rat, what did you and Whitey Herdog have for din din on this fine holiday evening?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Due to unsavory fake news read at your own risk:

With all due respect, we haven’t heard from the esteemed one today due to rumors abounding that he was found on the floor early this morning with an unlit stoggy between his lips and a bottle of expensive scotch next to his semi-conscious body. Still sketchy reports have him holding his belly due to the still unknown holiday feast he consumed yesterday. Only bones were part of that evidence. Apparently he was still reeling from Sunday’s game because he was muttering “Hicks” repeatedly.

Luckily the oft-criticized Memorial Day schedule it was an open date. Another loss may have done him in for good. Its tough being a Cardinal fanatic these days.

This tale is presented as an attempt at some levity on this site that has not been exactly complimentary of our team of late. I’m sure that Rats won’t mind taking a shot for the big club. (Bowing to our self-proclaimed esteemed buddy).

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar 14NyquisT.
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Funny stuff, Nyquist!! But on a serious note,the Esteemed Rat is just the sort of guy who would take one for the team. “The Esteemed Rat” or if you prefer “The Esteemed One” is indeed befitting of his name. Though Nyquist’s post was in jest, he may not be too far off base, as The Esteemed One generally responds very quickly when asked about what he had for dinner. Let’s hope he has not come into the direct path of harm’s way.

Hicks. As I was watching Hader pitch last night, I could not help but think “if Hader can have this kind of success then why can’t Hicks?” Hicks has more pitches in his repertoire and his fastball, Hader’s bread and butter, has more zip on it. I think Hader must throw 97% heat. Sure, Hader has a bit better control vs Hicks, but I do not think by much. I think the Cards need to get Gibby and Hicks together pronto! I get the impression that if Hicks took a little hop so not to touch chalk as he was walking back to the dugout, it would not be for superstituational reasons, but rather to spare an ant’s life. I think this kid needs to get himself a serious chip on his shoulder if ever wants to be a bonifide closer. He has been blessed with such rare God given talent….. it would be a crying shame to waste it.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Its not allowing me top post again. I’m not sure this will show up either.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I didn’t know Brian better, I would say that the powers that be just might be sabotaging The Esteemed One’s posting power.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

One less Philly to fool with for Mr Hicks. Odubel Herrera is in jail for assault on his girlfriend. Doubt he will be available for the next 50-80 games if MLB stays to form.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

One of these days Dex will actually get a hit at leadoff. I am beginning to think that position is jinxed as Dex only gets strikeouts or HBPs.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards will take 2-3 in Philly this week. I think we’ll see Goldy unlock a good dose of his power this week. I’m calling this one 7-5 Birds.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Me and Whitey Herdog had chicken in the Air Fryer, mashed potatoes, gravy, French Vanilla ice cream, and a cigar while we watched the Pirates/Reds yesterday afternoon.

Tonight we are going to have a cigar at the start of the Cards/Phils game. Then a bologna sandwich and chocolate ice cream in the late innings. Then a cigar whilst we watch part of the Mets/Dodgers game. I doubt Cannon gets played tonight.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~who just struck a deal with the salesman and GM on a new 2019 black BMW 540i earlier today

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am hopeful that Wacha will improve with his move to the pen. Maybe a little spike in velocity.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This game better not get washed out. Our Birds are destined to win it….but if we don’t play tonight that will change everything. I guess when things are going bad, they’re going bad. Anyone have an accurate greater Philadelphia weather report…..Esteemed Rat?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good start to the game…two homers make it 3-0 Cards after a half inning.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Ugh, I was watching the Reds-Pirates and missed the 1st inning. Lost track of time and thought the rain delay would be longer. Dietrich has hit 2 HRs already. I won’t be surprised if he gets plunked tonight.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Wainwright cannot hold the lead. Phils ahead 4-3 with nobody out in the bottom of the 4th. Phils have some hard-hit balls off him.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

C’mon ump!!!!

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cards are gonna be under .500 on May 28. Its so great to see how they went all in this season.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Big defensive play – great throw by Bader! Momentum changer?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar 1964cards.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bill DeWitt Jr, October 4, 2018
    On NOT being all-in:

“It’s not like, ‘Oh, we better win the division next year or we’re going to turn everything upside down.’ That’s not our view. I think that’s a dangerous approach because then you put people in position going all-in as the model. ‘Forget about two, three, five years down the road when, oh well — I’m not going to be around. So, I don’t care.’ I don’t think that is the way to operate a team.”

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Carp’s last AB is a good example of why he has struggled to produce. He had a very hittable pitch down the middle, hit it hard but pulled it well foul. Then he hit a pitch that was off the plate outside into the teeth of the shift for an out. To carry over the Wee Willie reference from last week, Carp is the anti-Keeler.

Wainwright has settled down after surrendering the lead. Still 4-3 in the bottom of the 6th.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wainwright went a six innings … leaves down a run … Redbirds need to get going on offense.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pinch hit single by Gyorko is wasted. Fowler ꓘs after a couple feeble swings — a really bad looking AB.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years