StL 2019 Game 52 thread: Sun 5/26 vs. Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 52 thread: Sun 5/26 vs. Braves

This topic contains 61 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Houstonlarry24 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kimbrel was 22 at the start of his first season as the Braves closer. He turned 22 in late May of that year.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Hicks has been good at times, but closing out a game requires a temperament that most pitchers gain through experience. You have to be the boss on the mound, not just a flamethrower who takes pitch signs from his catcher.

Exactly. And from the look on Hicks face last night it was obvious he was timid out there. He’s not got that bulldog mentality yet. He needs to go to Memphis for awhile.

Right now he’s another Rosenthal. Rosenthal got into tons of jams and managed to squirm out of some of them. But now with Hicks, when he gives up a couple of walks and/or hits, he needs to be yanked. After the Donaldson single last night I yelled at the screen to get him out of there!!!

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have to smile as I look at some of the BAs for this team. It reminds me of the Kozma days when there was always an uproar because Kozma was batting .230-.235. Now that doesn’t draw a peep.

That is an interesting point. I read an article the other day somewhere about how .300 averages are becoming a thing of the past. With launch angles and the obsession with HR’s a 1-4 night with a HR is very acceptable in today’s game. I don’t agree with that thought but that seems to be the way it is these days. A guy hitting below .250 got paid over $300M this past winter and our cleanup hitter hasn’t seen .250 in several weeks but we bat him fourth every night because of his RBI’s.

Dave Kingman could have made millions in today’s game. He was born too soon.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I had my preference, I’d rather see the Cards address the rotation (or even the offense) before spending significant resources on a closer. While last night’s failure is fresh, the ninth inning is not close to being the main reason why this team is .500.

I totally agree. With the addition of CMart and the subtraction of Gregerson and Leone I think the bullpen is actually the strength of this team, despite last night.

This lineup has needed another big LH bat for sometime but they are probably waiting on Carlson and Gorman.

What this team desperately needs is an ace to put at the top of the rotation. A true stopper. While names like Madbum, Keuchel, Stroman, and Greinke are out there I would go after a different guy. If Mr. DeWitt wants to open up the checkbook I would say sanction a trade for Scherzer. Bring Mad Max back to Missouri. He is soon to be 35 and he makes a lot of money but he is still an ace. People thought Verlander was washed up and look at what he has done in Houston. I think Max would cherish getting out of the cesspool that is the Nats and get to come back home.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would like the Cardinals to sign Kimbrel but not at the length of contract he was looking for in the offseason. Up to 4 years would be the limit for me.

I agree with BW that closer is not the top problem to address. However, I would use the opportunity to get Kimbrel if they can.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So, acquire “low-hanging fruit” instead of meeting the team’s primary needs? 😉

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Not to pile on, but I see excitement over graphics like this and shake my head. No mention of how many of them were strikes.

Or worse yet, how about being wild in the zone, i.e., 0-2 pitches catching the heart of the strike zone — more than once. That, more than anything, is what caused the terrible 9th inning. He throws extremely fast — but that ain’t pitching. Your closer had better be a pitcher.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

If I had my preference, I’d rather see the Cards address the rotation (or even the offense) before spending significant resources on a closer.

Well, they all kind of go together. I guess theoretically a dominating lineup and solid rotation would negate the need for a closer, but that’s not realistic. A closer is needed in all close games, and although our .500 record isn’t due to ninth inning close outs, the need is dire, IMO, as much as an offense or rotation.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Imaging how the great Bob Gibson burns when he sees a Cards starter pulled after six like clockwork? Sad to see.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fair point, but Gibson could walk the walk as he threw shutouts. When is the last time you felt a Cardinals starter was pulled too early? Don’t give up runs and you get to stay in the game. I haven’t sensed this to be an issue with the team currently.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Theory and managing philosophy has evolved over the years, I suppose, along with the obsession with pitch count, but this need to change pitchers every inning after five, or occasionally six, is based on what precisely?

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

My only real point in bringing up the great one was all over baseball watching pitchers getting pulled after 6. Then get praise heaped on for the effort. Sad to me.
    With the Cards starters I seldom care as it looks like we only have one capable of going deep in games. Again, how sad.

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years